DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will unlocked foreign or domestic phones work with Droid 2 Global sim card?

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Will unlocked foreign or domestic phones work with Droid 2 Global sim card?

I have a Droid 2 Global and it suddenly hit me that, as I have not traveled out of the country since I got the phone, I have a sim card. My question now is that I've been having a lot of issues with the phone lately (I'm on replacement D2G number 3), so I was wondering if it would be possible to buy an unlocked phone from another country or even here and stick the sim card in that phone. Would it work or would I have to do something else, or is it not even possible? Thanks for any input.

BTW, I'm fairly technology savvy, but not when it comes to phones, so go easy on me =). Also, just wanted to say hi to everyone, and thanks for a lot of the information I've found here.
  2. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 4
    This would only work for use on GSM networks out of the Verizon footprint of North America. The SIM card that came with your phone is used with the GSM radio of the D2G not the CDMA radio and the GSM radio is disabled if the phone is in Verizon's NA geography (see their web site for details and map).
    Treo600, Treo 700W(X), Omnia 910, Moto Droid1, Moto Droid2(G), Moto Droid4
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus 32GB
    Should be fine. As long as it's unlocked and has the hacked 2.4.29 baseband.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Twitter
    GasaiYuno
    Phone
    Motorola A956
    Byakushiki, could you explain somehow, what are you talking about, exactly?

Benton, I once read somewhere (but I'm not sure where exactly) that the SIM cards in Motorola's Global devices are IMEI-bound and only work with Motorola's handsets. If this is true, Vodafone NL's network will only register these SIM IDs if the phone's IMEI matches a Motorola device.
    G. Y.
    Sony LT25i “Tsubasa”, stock, rooted, locked bootloader [Android 4.1.2 “Jelly Bean”].
    Maximum speed witnessed over LTE: 98.2 Mbps down / 48.5 Mbps up; Average speed over LTE: 72.9 Mbps down / 45.7 Mbps up.
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 4
    GY, I hadn't thought of it regarding the Motorola SIM card but tonight I will ask my wife to put the Verizon SIM card she has into her LG GSM phone...she's in Hong Kong visiting family and is using my local Smartone SIM card in her D2G now. I always use the Smartone SIM (it's Vodafone in HKG) when on GSM due to the favorable structure of my contract with them versus Verizon's rates and never tried the Verizon SIM in a different phone.
    Treo600, Treo 700W(X), Omnia 910, Moto Droid1, Moto Droid2(G), Moto Droid4
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus 32GB
    13th posted the tbh usa band unlock zip somewhere on rootzwiki. Flash it on an unlocked d2g on 2.4.29, and the phone will accept tmo and at&t sim cards and get signal.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Twitter
    GasaiYuno
    Phone
    Motorola A956
    Byakushiki, you do realise that this thread is about using VZW's Global SIM card to get Global service from VZW with other phones (NOT about using a T-Mobile/AT&T card in a D2G), right?
    G. Y.
    Sony LT25i “Tsubasa”, stock, rooted, locked bootloader [Android 4.1.2 “Jelly Bean”].
    Maximum speed witnessed over LTE: 98.2 Mbps down / 48.5 Mbps up; Average speed over LTE: 72.9 Mbps down / 45.7 Mbps up.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus 32GB
    Ah yes, I was referring to viper's question. If he wanted the D2G to work in any country (USA included) on GSM, he'd need it to be sim unlocked and have the old 2.4.29 baseband with the tbh hack applied.
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Twitter
    GasaiYuno
    Phone
    Motorola A956
    Viper's question reads (I added comments to clarify it for American-born readers):

if it would be possible to buy an unlocked phone (not a DROID2 GLOBAL - G.Y.) from another country (and VZW only exists in the USA - G.Y.) or even here (in the USA, but a GSM phone, not a Verizon one - G.Y.) and stick the sim card (from the DROID2 GLOBAL - G.Y.) in that phone (again, Viper is not talking about the DROID2 GLOBAL here - G.Y.)
    G. Y.
  10. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Thank you for clarifying that GY. Yes I'm not interested in using the D2G in any other country. On the contrary, I was hoping to use VZW signal but putting the simcard from the D2G into another carrier's phone, such as a T-Mobile phone. I guess to simplify it, I just want to see if it's possible to use my sim card from the D2G in a non-Verizon phone, in the USA.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links