DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Will unlocked foreign or domestic phones work with Droid 2 Global sim card?

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Twitter
    GasaiYuno
    Phone
    Motorola A956
    No, the VZW SIM card is essentially Vodafone NL, and Verizon's network does not support GSM 2G/3G, only GSM 4G (aka LTE, and that's why their LTE phones have SIM cards). These cards probably won't register in T-Mobile and AT&T networks (and their MVNO resellers like Simple Mobile and such). Even if they did, it would be VZW's Global plan, or Vodafone NL international roaming (just kidding).

TL;DR: A Verizon Global (in other words, Vodafone NL) SIM card cannot be used to obtain Verizon service with a GSM phone within the United States.
    G. Y.
    Sony LT25i “Tsubasa”, stock, rooted, locked bootloader [Android 4.1.2 “Jelly Bean”].
    Maximum speed witnessed over LTE: 98.2 Mbps down / 48.5 Mbps up; Average speed over LTE: 72.9 Mbps down / 45.7 Mbps up.
  2. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Even if that's what it was designed for? The D2G came with this sim card when I bought it in California and I don't intend to go anywhere far, just curious if that sim card will work in other carriers phones so I don't have to stick with VZW's phones.

Don't get me wrong, I love their phones, but options never killed anyone =)
  3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 4
    My wife tested the Verizon D2G SIM in Hong Kong on a non-Motorola phone (LG branded), and was able to have voice, text and pay-as-you-go data...yikes!! We stopped the test when she told me what she was doing on the data side. Interestingly, Verizon sent three text messages to her phone during our test providing a link to click for any assistance in how to dial IDD from her location, etc. I guess we learned a little today, the VZW SIM will work in other phones.
    Last edited by Benton; 01-07-2012 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Missed location description
    Treo600, Treo 700W(X), Omnia 910, Moto Droid1, Moto Droid2(G), Moto Droid4
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Twitter
    GasaiYuno
    Phone
    Motorola A956
    Quote Originally Posted by viper689 View Post
    Even if that's what it was designed for? The D2G came with this sim card when I bought it in California and I don't intend to go anywhere far, just curious if that sim card will work in other carriers phones so I don't have to stick with VZW's phones.
    The SIM card is only supplied with the D2G to provide the user with GSM connectivity outside the USA. Period. Inside the USA, VZW has its own CDMA network. They don't have a GSM network in the USA, so to provide GSM connectivity there they'd have to pay AT&T or T-Mobile. Obviously they have no reason to do that.
    G. Y.
    Sony LT25i “Tsubasa”, stock, rooted, locked bootloader [Android 4.1.2 “Jelly Bean”].
    Maximum speed witnessed over LTE: 98.2 Mbps down / 48.5 Mbps up; Average speed over LTE: 72.9 Mbps down / 45.7 Mbps up.
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Ah and there it is. Was worth a shot but thank you everyone for clearing that up for me. It would have been a cool thing if it had worked but just as well. Now I just need to figure out what to do with this D2G #3 replacement because now I'm having the same issue of calls not going through and picture messages not sending as my other D2G replacements. Time for Verizon to get an earful and hopefully me a new phone.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Links