DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should I update to 4.5.608.en.US?

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 2 Global

Should I update to 4.5.608.en.US?

Within the last week, when I turn on my D2G, I get a black screen which alerts me that the above update has been downloaded and is ready to install. I first want to know about this update. What is it? It's not an update for a certain app because it would have told me that.

I went to my "about phone" link in the settings. It says I have "system version" 2.4.330.A956. Is it worth it to update or will it cause more problems than good? I don't want to download until I learn what exactly is being updated yet I cannot find out what it is.

So what's with this update? What is it and should I do it? I didn't even know I downloaded it.

3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    droid 2 global
    Its nothing you downloaded. Its a system update to gb. Yes go ahead and do it.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    vikram_sr
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Already have update...nothing noticeable. Apparently it fixes something related to Exchange synchronization. You can go ahead and install it.
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Phone
    droid 4
    Quote Originally Posted by vikramsingh View Post
    Already have update...nothing noticeable. Apparently it fixes something related to Exchange synchronization. You can go ahead and install it.
    If Mrs EB is on 2.4.330.A956, she is on Froyo and this will update to Gingerbread, so significant with many visible changes! (And yes, worth doing in many peoples opinion). Vikram probably went from .607 to .608, and this is mainly just the exchange issue.
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    vikram_sr
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by silver6054 View Post
    If Mrs EB is on 2.4.330.A956, she is on Froyo and this will update to Gingerbread, so significant with many visible changes! (And yes, worth doing in many peoples opinion). Vikram probably went from .607 to .608, and this is mainly just the exchange issue.
    Yes, I updated from .607 to .608. Thanks silver for correcting me. From froyo, this is huge...but worthwhile IMO. But people have different opinions.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 2 Global
    So I'm now on Gingerbread? That is a change. I did notice right away that the M in Motorola turned red and that icons for contacts and calls were easier to see. I also saw how the apps were easier to find. So am I really updated to Gingerbread? I haven't done much more to see what other changes are in GB.
    Last edited by Mrs EB; 10-25-2011 at 07:32 AM.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Phone
    droid 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs EB View Post
    So I'm now on Gingerbread? That is a change. I did notice right away that the M in Motorola turned red and that icons for contacts and calls were easier to see. I also saw how the apps were easier to find. So am I really updated to Gingerbread? I haven't done much more to see what other changes are in GB.
    If you have the red M then you are almost certainly on Gingerbread. Best way to confirm is to look at the settings again, your system version should now be something containing 4.5.608, and the Android version should now show as 2.3.3
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 2 Global
    If you have the red M then you are almost certainly on Gingerbread. Best way to confirm is to look at the settings again, your system version should now be something containing 4.5.608, and the Android version should now show as 2.3.3
    I just checked and you're right on both. So is there much of a difference between froyo and gb?
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Phone
    droid 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs EB View Post
    I just checked and you're right on both. So is there much of a difference between froyo and gb?
    Well, there's Froyo-GB in general, and then there's how it impacts this phone! There are no huge earth-shattering innovations in GB in general (some dismissed it as UI tweaks for example), but in the case of the Droid 2 Global, this was the first release since Dec 2010, and contains a large number of important bug fixes, some of which may or may not impact you (exchange sync for example: this was targeted as a business phone and exchange sync never worked well for most until now) and I think most of us think that this release has greatly improved both stability and battery life.

That said, looking around you can easily find lots of threads about how the update RUINED MY PHONE/LIFE etc, I still am not clear exactly what causes these different experiences (e.g. is it app mix, individual phone variation, user error....). But that seems to be common with any major upgrade, on the Verizon site there is a long thread about how Froyo ruined the original Droid. Hopefully you will be one who has a good experience with this upgrade.
    Last edited by silver6054; 10-25-2011 at 07:52 AM. Reason: Missed a no before huge!
  11. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 2 Global
    Well, there's Froyo-GB in general, and then there's how it impacts this phone! There are no huge earth-shattering innovations in GB in general (some dismissed it as UI tweaks for example), but in the case of the Droid 2 Global, this was the first release since Dec 2010, and contains a large number of important bug fixes, some of which may or may not impact you (exchange sync for example: this was targeted as a business phone and exchange sync never worked well for most until now) and I think most of us think that this release has greatly improved both stability and battery life.

That said, looking around you can easily find lots of threads about how the update RUINED MY PHONE/LIFE etc, I still am not clear exactly what causes these different experiences (e.g. is it app mix, individual phone variation, user error....). But that seems to be common with any major upgrade, on the Verizon site there is a long thread about how Froyo ruined the original Droid. Hopefully you will be one who has a good experience with this upgrade.
    Thanks. One thing I have noticed is that the green light on the upper right hand corner of the D2G keeps blinking even though I don't have new email or new texts. Why is it blinking?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links