DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: [Tutorial] Replacing built-in ringtones (root required)

  1. Droid
    eMWu's Avatar
    Member #
    181312
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    71
    Phone
    Droid 2 Global
    #1

    Lightbulb [Tutorial] Replacing built-in ringtones (root required)

    I've been looking for a way to keep my custom ringtone, regardless of the sd card I'm using and if it's accessible at the moment. So I figured out an easy way to do this and I thought I'd share it.

    1. Convert your ringtone to ogg format (for example with fre:ac)
    2. Copy the ogg file to your sd card
    3. Download and install this app: Mount /system (rw / ro). Run it and click "Mount r/w".
    4. Open a file explorer with root support (like Yaffs Explorer) and navigate to /system/media/audio/ringtones/
    3 & 4 can be done with just Root Explorer/SU File Manager & Terminal (I think), but they're not free.
    5. Pick a ringtone you want replaced - for example Cairo.ogg. Rename it to Cairo-old.ogg and then copy your custom ringtone to /system/media/audio/ringtones/ and rename it to Cairo.ogg

    Now your custom ringtone will be available in the phone's sound settings under the replaced one's name.

    This should also work with alarm sounds (/system/media/audio/alarms/) and notification sounds (/system/media/audio/notifications/).

    I hope someone finds this useful!

    EDIT: Looks like you can just put new AAC/MP3/OGG files in that folder and they will be visible after a reboot!
    Last edited by eMWu; 03-29-2011 at 01:23 AM.
  2.  
     
     
     
  3. Senior Droid
    Blackcharger06's Avatar
    Member #
    91286
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    142
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    #2

    ?

    Quote Originally Posted by eMWu View Post
    I've been looking for a way to keep my custom ringtone, regardless of the sd card I'm using and if it's accessible at the moment. So I figured out an easy way to do this and I thought I'd share it.

    1. Convert your ringtone to ogg format (for example with fre:ac)
    2. Copy the ogg file to your sd card
    3. Download and install this app: Mount /system (rw / ro). Run it and click "Mount r/w".
    4. Open a file explorer with root support (like Yaffs Explorer) and navigate to /system/media/audio/ringtones/
    5. Pick a ringtone you want replaced - for example Cairo.ogg. Rename it to Cairo-old.ogg and then copy your custom ringtone to /system/media/audio/ringtones/ and rename it to Cairo.ogg

    Now your custom ringtone will be available in the phone's sound settings under the replaced one's name.

    This should also work with alarm sounds (/system/media/audio/alarms/) and notification sounds (/system/media/audio/notifications/).

    I hope someone finds this useful!
    why do you have to go threw all that trouble? can't you just take the ring tone off of your phone and save them to your computer. Then plug in the new phone and drop the sound file in your notifications folder? That's what I've done with the thunderbolt and it worked fine...
  4. Droid
    eMWu's Avatar
    Member #
    181312
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    71
    Phone
    Droid 2 Global
    #3
    What new phone?
    I'm talking about replacing the ringtones in phone's internal memory, which requires enabling write permissions to the /system folder. And just putting a new file there won't make it visible in the phone's sounds settings.

    I'm not sure what you're talking about.
  5. Senior Droid
    Blackcharger06's Avatar
    Member #
    91286
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    142
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    #4

    hmmm

    Quote Originally Posted by eMWu View Post
    What new phone?
    I'm talking about replacing the ringtones in phone's internal memory, which requires enabling write permissions to the /system folder. And just putting a new file there won't make it visible in the phone's sounds settings.

    I'm not sure what you're talking about.
    maybe it's different on your phone. I thought it was all universal...

    I have the Thunderbolt and there is a folder labeled notifications when you hook it up to a pc. You can put any file you want in this folder and when you go to ringtones on your phone, the files you put in that notifications folder will then appear as a ring tone that you can choose...I've done it a few times already. What i'm saying is that, if you know of a ringtone you like, you can plug your phone in, go to that folder and copy the file and paste it to your hardrive. You can then plug in your new phone and and place that ring tone that you like in the notifications folder and then you will be able to choose it as a ringtone. I've used mp3's with no problem at all.
  6. Droid
    eMWu's Avatar
    Member #
    181312
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    71
    Phone
    Droid 2 Global
    #5
    ok, but the question is, does the ringtone still work if you remove your sd card?

    In other words, does the notifications folder that you see is located on the sd card or the phone's internal memory?

    In D2G's case, selecting an mp3 from sd card in sound settings as a new ringtone doesn't copy it to the internal memory, meaning the same sd card needs to be present since the phone plays the ringtone from it.
  7. Senior Droid
    Blackcharger06's Avatar
    Member #
    91286
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    142
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    #6

    yup

    Quote Originally Posted by eMWu View Post
    ok, but the question is, does the ringtone still work if you remove your sd card?

    In other words, does the notifications folder that you see is located on the sd card or the phone's internal memory?

    In D2G's case, selecting an mp3 from sd card in sound settings as a new ringtone doesn't copy it to the internal memory, meaning the same sd card needs to be present since the phone plays the ringtone from it.
    Yes. Your putting the file on the phone, not the sd card.
  8. Droid
    eMWu's Avatar
    Member #
    181312
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    71
    Phone
    Droid 2 Global
    #7
    Ok.
    However Droid doesn't give you access to phone's internal memory like that, so your advice doesn't apply here
  9. Senior Droid
    Blackcharger06's Avatar
    Member #
    91286
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    142
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    #8

    hmmm

    Quote Originally Posted by eMWu View Post
    Ok.
    However Droid doesn't give you access to phone's internal memory like that, so your advice doesn't apply here
    are you sure...? I have the htc thunderbolt which is a droid phone. When you hook the phone up to a pc does it give you options like, charge, hook up as passthrew for internet, or hook up as usb device? I hook it up and it mounts 2 virtual drives. THe phone and the sd card. I just go to the folder like I said and then I can pick the ringtone. I swaped out the sd cards just to make sure.
  10. Junior Droid
    wotnartd's Avatar
    Member #
    181815
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    13
    Phone
    Droid 2 Global
    #9
    You cannot do that with any MOTODROID.
  11. Droid
    eMWu's Avatar
    Member #
    181312
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    71
    Phone
    Droid 2 Global
    #10
    Yep, only the SD card is accessible.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. SuperOneClick Should Root Most Devices, No SDK Required?
    By WoZzY in forum Droid Forums Member News Depot
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-22-2010, 11:03 AM
  2. Much simpler root (no pc required)
    By Eousphoros in forum Droid X Hacks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-16-2010, 02:56 PM
  3. Auto Memory Manager (Root Required)
    By DroidxRage in forum Android Applications
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 07-07-2010, 10:51 AM
  4. Replacing an .apk with root explorer
    By GoGators in forum Android Hacks and Help
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-08-2010, 07:34 PM
  5. Replies: 120
    Last Post: 01-11-2010, 04:18 AM

Search tags for this page

add ringtones to android root

,

android root ringtone location

,
change skype ringtone android root
,

how to change rington in root explorer

,
install ringtone in android root
,
manage rooted android tones
,
ringtone root
,

ringtone root android

,

rooted android ringtones

,
where is ring tone in root
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.

Tags for this Thread

Find us on Google+