DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to get started with th droid 2 global?

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Quote Originally Posted by BayouFlyFisher View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tony_g View Post
    I see. Maybe a better way to deactivate it is to rename it by adding a suffix, like .bak, in case it is needed later...
    Not really necessary as it's basically just a log file. The system will create a new one.

Yeah, it's like clearing the cache for the gallery app. The system just writes a new one when it needs it.
  2. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 2 Global

Fission and FRM

I have been looking for a thread like this! I just went through the nearly identical exercise with my D2G this weekend (only difference is that I used Droid 2 Bootstrap). I have also installed Laucher Pro Plus and for now will use that as my launcher.

I assume that you used FRM to install Fission. I learned the hard way that there are actually backup and restore functions for LPP (and Circle Launcher) that eliminate the chore of rebuilding your screens/widgets each time you backup/flash an add on or patch from FRM.

If you use FRM, how do you know, other than by trial and error, which bits of Fission that you want to install? Their website is not very well documented abd the descriptions on the app are brief.

I am mostly trying to get the add-on that has the D2G Media Gallery with the advanced photo editing features as on the stock D2G. I have installed a couple media add-ons, but I can't seem to find the right one. I now have the 3D Gallery (cool iris style) like the D1, which has mysteriously disappeared from the Market.

Feel free to PM
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here

Update

Heres the latest:
    I got the phone in the mail and screamed like a little girl out of excitement (this step is required).
    I didn't know the billing password at first so I touched all four corners clockwise starting with the top left to bypass setup (and I figured I wouldn't be using stock much longer so I thought it was fine).
    When I got the billing password I called *228 and followed the directions.
    Installed z4root and rooted
    Used kouch's bootstrap to run custom recovery and then made a nandroid backup.
    Copied over Fission ROM manager
    Connected to Wi-Fi
    Downloaded Fission using the ROM manager
    Installed Fission with wipe data and cache
    Set Up google account once Fission booted
    Exploring Fission

Any questions on a specific step are welcome
  4. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 2 Global
    Quote Originally Posted by monks700 View Post
    Heres the latest:
    I got the phone in the mail and screamed like a little girl out of excitement (this step is required).
    I didn't know the billing password at first so I touched all four corners clockwise starting with the top left to bypass setup (and I figured I wouldn't be using stock much longer so I thought it was fine).
    Connected to Wi-Fi
    Exploring Fission

Thanks for this thread! I just got mine today too, and am doing the same thing as you. I'm still waiting for the fission install to complete. How long did it take? It's been about 5 minutes and its still at the "ClockworkMod Recovery v2.5.0.8" screen. "reboot_system_now" is highlighted. I think its hung up, but thought I'd ask here before I go fooling around with it.

Thanks!
  5. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 2 Global
    crap, I just watched this video DarkOnion's House of Pain Blog Archive Tutorial: Installing Fission via FRM and after the reboot it just hangs at this screen, it didn't do what the phone in the video did. uh oh.
  6. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 2 Global
    ok, i some how rebooted my phone by playing with the keyboard, then ran the install again and now it seems to be working.
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 2 Global
    Quote Originally Posted by monks700 View Post
    Heres the latest:
    Connected to Wi-Fi
    Exploring Fission

Do you have to run the Bootstrap/nandroid back-up steps before each time you do a subsequent install from FRM, or will the backup within FRM be sufficient? <---- OK, I am getting the hang of this. FRM is just an app that allows you to do the bootstrap steps through the app instead of the power on/X-key routine.

The "wipe" option will wipe out your desktop, so you only need to wipe data on the first install or a new rebuild.
    Last edited by TJConnery; 02-02-2011 at 10:18 AM. Reason: To answer my own question.
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 2 Global
    Nice thread - I think if you added a bit more detail on each of the steps you took it wold merit being made a sticky.

CC
  9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone

Plans

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Canuck View Post
    Nice thread - I think if you added a bit more detail on each of the steps you took it wold merit being made a sticky.

CC
    I plan on fleshing it out when I have the time but so far I've been busy
  10. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone

Past Day

Wow, I can't believe I've only spent 1 day with this device, I feel like I could never have lived without it.
    Anyway what I've done:
    Installed some apps from the market (I'll list those if people want me to when I do a full write up)
    Installed screebl
    Did the battery optimizations listed in an earlier post
    Installed verizon 3g hotspot for fission using recovery
    Tried to install TBH 3g hotspot mod using recovery and realized that it didn't work on the droid 2
    Downloaded radiocomm and made the proper seem edits (also got nostalgic about my razr)
    Played with radiocomm (Disclaimer: I DO NOT RECOMMEND PLAYING WITH RADIOCOMM but I know some people and have used it a lot before)
    Edited seem 01C2 record 0001 from 01 to 00 supposedly increasing 3g speeds but the signal here is so bad I can't tell if it worked
    edited build.prop from ro.modem_available=0 to ro.modem_available=1
    phone as modem showed up as an option in usb so I tried to set it up on my w7 vm running on my desktop but it wouldnt get past dialing #777
    Texted the girl I like (Important step, remember even when phone hacking one must be social)

Alright guys thats all for now, again once robotics build season is over I'll have more time to flesh this stuff out but if you have any questions post here or PM me
    Oliver
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links