DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on Screen protectors and cases

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid

Opinions on Screen protectors and cases

My wife and I are upgrading from our Droids to Droid 2 Globals. We got our Droids when they first came out. neither of us have used a screen protector, but she did use a hard case. After 15 months the phones are in good shape with little wear and tear except for a couple of scratches on my screen. I prefer my phones naked, but wanted opinions about whether the Droid 2 Global was at least as tough as the original Droid.

Thanks for you opinion

2. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 2 Global
    I don't have a d2 so I can't compare but I would say the d2g has one of the toughest screens. I'm really rough with phones (no protection whatsoever) and I have yet to find a visible scratch on my screen after about 2 months. And yeppp, I've dropped it once on concrete >.<

Only cosmetic things I've seen is my keyboard showing signs of tear already (letters starting to fade just barly, talking about you @ symbol...)
    Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App
    HTC Eris -> Moto D2G
  3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DINC2 and D2G
    I had a screen protector put on when I got my D2G. It covers only the display itself, not the earpiece and such (the full-sized ones have been known to cause issues with the proximity sensor). I have a small scratch on the protector. I don't know if whatever I did would have caused a scratch on the screen itself, but knowing how I beat the hell out of my phones, it was worth it.

I do have a case too, but it added too much bulk for me. I only use it now when I go running (which now won't be for a while due to stress fractures because I was stupid), or when I'm going to be in an environment where I have particular need to be concerned.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    55 times
    Phone
    Droid 4
    The Seidio Innocase Surface gets my recommendation. I used one on my D1 and now on my D2G. It is a hard case but it adds almost no bulk. The material is resistant to fingerprints and smudges, slides easily in and out of pockets, but still will provide some grip to a surface.

As for screen protectors, I've never used one and don't really think one is necessary, but that's just my opinion
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Quote Originally Posted by SGMD1 View Post
    The Seidio Innocase Surface gets my recommendation. I used one on my D1 and now on my D2G. It is a hard case but it adds almost no bulk. The material is resistant to fingerprints and smudges, slides easily in and out of pockets, but still will provide some grip to a surface.

As for screen protectors, I've never used one and don't really think one is necessary, but that's just my opinion

I also have an Innocase, and it's the ONLY one I've found so far that's not just cheap hard plastic that scratches your phone. It fits well, comes off easily (when you do it right, I haven't had it MOVE otherwise in almost a month), works with the extended BP7X battery (if you remove the battery door from your phone), fits in the docks if you remove the plate (I'm told, I don't have a dock so I can't confirm), and as was stated, is a matte finish that provides a good feel in the hand without much additional bulk or any stickiness.

I have a screen protector, but that's mostly just habit. Every phone I've ever had with a nice screen has gotten a screen protector because I figure it's $10 for peace of mind. I have the VZW wireless ones, and they work well. After a minute or so of use, it actually lets my finger slide better than the bare screen does, and is easier to keep clean (I just wipe it on my shirt and it removes all smudges... same for the innocase, actually).
    Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    Twitter
    Leanne_808
    Phone
    D2G DX D3 Xoom Razr Maxx SG3
    Premium Member
    im with u, I like mine naked too however I still have screen protector. its a must have on my part. good luck on the D2G.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom K View Post
    My wife and I are upgrading from our Droids to Droid 2 Globals. We got our Droids when they first came out. neither of us have used a screen protector, but she did use a hard case. After 15 months the phones are in good shape with little wear and tear except for a couple of scratches on my screen. I prefer my phones naked, but wanted opinions about whether the Droid 2 Global was at least as tough as the original Droid.

Thanks for you opinion

Aloha from Hawaii ... Droid 2 Global
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Since I have the white D2G I opted for the clear snap on case from VZW. It can be a little difficult to remove, but I find it doesn't add that much bulk. I would prefer more "grip" but haven't come across some type of clear case with grip.

After researching screen protectors, I chose the SGP Steinheil Ultra Clear. It covers the entire screen and was very easy to put on. It's almost invisible. I'm quite pleased. BTW, it's a "dry" application screen protector with a self-adhesive.

Hope you will enjoy your D2G as such as I'm enjoying mine! Peace :-)

8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Droid2 Global/XT860 4G(D3)
    Be careful with protectors that cover area on the left of the speaker grille where proximity sensor is located - it may cause proximity sensor to stop functioning normally. Ideally protector would have a hole cut out in that area.
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Quote Originally Posted by leobg View Post
    Be careful with protectors that cover area on the left of the speaker grille where proximity sensor is located - it may cause proximity sensor to stop functioning normally. Ideally protector would have a hole cut out in that area.

Be careful with that section of the phone in general. From reading the forums, it seems many people have issues with the in pocket detection turning the screen off from brushing a finger across it (Though I could never get the damn thing to actually turn off in my pocket haha). I froze "inpocketdetection" in titanium backup and eliminated the issue at the source, I just have to remember to turn my screen off every time I put the phone in my pocket (I'm mildly OCDish haha, easy enough)
  10. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Quote Originally Posted by leobg View Post
    Thanks for mentioning this. I recently purchased the SGP Screen Protectors last week. Most of my phone calls are made with a bluetooth headset so I never noticed this issue. I just tested what you stated and you are indeed correct. The proximity sensor (which turns the display on/off) no longer detects my face when holding the phone to my ear. I have to use the power button to turn off the display or let it time out after 1 minute. Sigh... Right now this is just a minor inconvenience/ annoyance.

EDIT: Proximity sensor is working again. It appears sensitive to the screen protector. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

EDIT 2: All is well with the proximity sensor. I'm not sure if it corrected itself or if it was the fact that I re-enabled "In Pocket Detection". I emailed SGP and they indicated the screen protector was designed thin enough not to interfere with the proximity sensor and that no redesign with a cutout was needed and would not happen.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links