DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Backup Assistant.

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Droid2 Global/XT860 4G(D3)
    Odd things happen if you hard reset the phone without unfreezing the backup assistant first. If you are not doing hard reset, phone will work just fine without the backup assistant
  2. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid X
    Quote Originally Posted by leobg View Post
    Odd things happen if you hard reset the phone without unfreezing the backup assistant first. If you are not doing hard reset, phone will work just fine without the backup assistant
    i dont believe a factory restore actually erases and reinstalls the os, it just deletes user specific data.

i too have this and some other apps frozen, recently i did a reset and forgot to defrost first. nothing odd happened though ... strange.

i think a better way to do it is to grab rsd lite 4.9 and the sbf then flash the phone from a pc

posted via android
    GS4
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Phone
    droid 4
    Quote Originally Posted by zero7404 View Post
    i dont believe a factory restore actually erases and reinstalls the os, it just deletes user specific data.

i too have this and some other apps frozen, recently i did a reset and forgot to defrost first. nothing odd happened though ... strange.

i think a better way to do it is to grab rsd lite 4.9 and the sbf then flash the phone from a pc

posted via android
    Yes, I too did a factory reset, pressing the button to begin after the warning that it cannot be stopped, and then thinking "Oh [expletive], I forgot to defrost..." and expected to have to SBF. But, as you said, it worked without an issue. I think I even still had root.

So it's probably just for update that you need to defrost.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Every time I do a factory data reset, I do an SBF just to be sure anyway haha.
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid X
    just to get back to the OP ... is backup assistant a verizon, motorola or android thing?

IF i were ever to use it id like to kno who is babysitting my valuable data ...

posted via android
    GS4
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Backup Assistant is a Verizon thing, I'm pretty sure.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Droid2 Global/XT860 4G(D3)
    Definitely Verizon.
    If you are outside Verizon network, it does not work. Just uses up battery and memory (it is constantly hanging in memory), also "polutes" the settings/accounts tab with non-removable garbage.
    I have it frozen (the 3 involved APK's renamed) and it could be a plasebo, but I feel I get slightly longer battery life now.
  8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid X
    Definitely Verizon.
    If you are outside Verizon network, it does not work. Just uses up battery and memory (it is constantly hanging in memory), also "polutes" the settings/accounts tab with non-removable garbage.
    I have it frozen (the 3 involved APK's renamed) and it could be a plasebo, but I feel I get slightly longer battery life now.
    what 3 apk's ? i only have 2 frozen (backup assistant 2.2, backup assistant client 1.0)
    GS4
  9. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member
    Backup Assistant is really not necessary. The D2G is a Google phone. Contacts are backed up in Gmail. Google backs up the calendar.

Why Verizon included Backup Assistant is beyond me. I suppose it might come in handy if your next phone isn't an Android. Of course if you were looking at the iPhone I strongly doubt it will be in there, so I don't know what you'd use it for.
    Please be respectful. Respect is #1 here at DF Please read our Guidelines of Conduct
  10. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid X
    Quote Originally Posted by hookbill View Post
    Backup Assistant is really not necessary. The D2G is a Google phone. Contacts are backed up in Gmail. Google backs up the calendar.

Why Verizon included Backup Assistant is beyond me. I suppose it might come in handy if your next phone isn't an Android. Of course if you were looking at the iPhone I strongly doubt it will be in there, so I don't know what you'd use it for.
    i think backup assistant has been ported as a tool for the end user. initially, verizon subscribers would bring their phone in to verizon and they would transfer contacts to a new phone for them.

backup assistant is available for pc, obviously now preloaded on android phones they sell. wonder if it'll also make it to the iphone (apple has say for that) i store my backups on SD card, then copy over to my PC in case i lose my phone.
    Last edited by zero7404; 01-19-2011 at 04:39 PM.
    GS4
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links