The Battery Sucks or Does it?
So, you got a phone with huge horse power and now you're mad cuz it guzzles the gas???
I come from a D1 and have had treos, bb's etc. The D2G is the best phone I have ever had.
Lets see if we can help you improve your battery life.
Every phone is slightly different, just like your car - the same model, year, engine size and even color that your friend owns might get better or worse gas mileage than yours. Just a fact.
Every user uses their phone different even if using all the same apps, home, etc.
I am not responsible for what you do or don't do to your phone, the following is just what I did.
Btw, I'm not an engineer or software genius - anyone can do what I did with the D2G.
Each of these methods and apps were tested (except breaking in the bat) on their own and then in conjunction with what else I knew worked.
From my experience, these batteries need to be broken in like a new car engine and there are two trains of thought on this. 1. be gentle and take your time 2. beat the crap out of it but stay under the rev limit for the first few thousand miles (yes, I use car analogies a lot).
I go with method #2 and always have and have never had an issue - with cars or phones.
Settings, whether the phone is rooted or unrooted.
1. in data settings, uncheck "data roaming" - just dont forget to check it if you go on a trip
2. under accounts, uncheck "sync gmail" this is a huge energy hog and always has been with Droid phones, I also uncheck "sync calendar.
3. in call settings, uncheck "voice privacy" you get better sound anyway
4. in sound settings, use vibrate only in silent mode
a. I dont use this but you can also disable the haptic feedback and sd card notifications
5. in display settings - I use auto brightness But you can set it at 40% or under and gain some battery life... I compared 30% to auto for 24 hrs each of heavy use and I did notice extra battery life set at 40% than auto.
6. screen timeout, I use 2 minutes but usually shut it off when Im done messing with it but cant stand when it goes off by itself.
7. animations, I left it set to "all animations" for this whole test... meaning all week.
8. Use wifi instead of 3G when you are at home or work or where ever you will be for more than 10-15 minutes. wifi is faster and eats less battery.
Task Killers and Virus Protection. - like waterproofing water. Dont use these, they dont do what you think... Learn More Here
Now a word on specific battery Hogs...
live wallpapers, very brightly colored wallpapers, social apps that connect and transfer data every 10 seconds, games - online or not, visual screen crap while playing music, having it "talk" when I get a text, anything GPS, anything pulling data from the web. its your phone so do with it what you want - this post is just to help those who freak out about battery life and some simple ways to make it better.
ok now for the fun stuff.
The following apps allow me to alter settings that an unrooted phone wont.
Root $Titanium Backup - so I can Freeze apps that try to connect to the web mostly the blur stuff.
- if you dont know what it is or why we do it please look it up Here.
most of the tweaks below are apps and settings that require it.
$Juice Defender - I like it because I can set certain parameters and its solid.
$Root Explorer - Imo its the best
$Droidoverclock - fine tune the speed and the voltage of the processor (all of the gains I have experienced have been at the phones stock settings, I under and overclock for specific things but again, they are all set at factory settings for this but by changing your clock speeds and voltage you will see more improvement granted you do it right.)
$SetCPU - like the app above only this one is better at managing the settings created by overclock
It should be noted that the largest gains I have experienced have come from changing my data settings, then using Juice defender, then freezing apps with Titanium Backup.
its a phone, the way I see it its a tool, to be used when I want to use it. you dont leave your car running in the driveway all night long or for 20 minutes while you're in the store why would you do that with a phone? if you're not using it (as in pulling up a website or checking your email) dont make the phone run all the time and you will see much improved battery life. also, it comes with a charger for a reason, this phone has an extremely fast processor and some of the technology just hasnt caught up with other aspects... such as the battery.
if it stills sucks down a battery in less than 10-12 hours you may have a lame battery... verizon will replace it if you make a big deal about it.
D1 rooted, hacked, twisted etc...
D2G rooted and tweaked, waiting for the SBF - now my favorite phone.