DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: please i have some questions and dont want to hate my phone

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here

please i have some questions and dont want to hate my phone

Hello I just bought a droid 2 'global' for christmas and i love it so far except there are some things that are driving me crazy

i have followed guides online that tell me 'turn off wireless/gps...lower your brightness ect' to save my battery life and yet i am still getting about 6 hours of time on my battery. most of the time when i am using my phone, i use the camera and take pictures without the flash so i do not know if that is a big problem.

also i see many people saying that their phone is 'rooted' i do not know what that means or the benefit of that

also is there a way to make video/camera captures better? it seems like all my photos are VERY grainy and blurry. some pictures come out great like close ups from 5 inches away. hope theres an app to fix that problem if anyone has a suggestion that would be great.

i am willing to buy a battery online that could increase the capabilities but i am not sure which to buy because most of the extended batteries on amazon are poorly rated.

i saw a commercial that showed something called 'word lens' that translate words between 2 languages in real time. sadly i found out after buying this that it is exclusive to the iphone. i tried google goggles but it really doesnt work too well unless its obviously aimed at a popular logo or word.

lastly if you have any suggestions for apps (maybe paid for if they are good enough).

thanks a lot i like the phone so far but due to the camera and battery i may not be able to like it as much as i could. im sure ill have more to ask but i do not know it right now.
  2. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid 2 Global
    You are holding one of the best phones on the market right now, no question. I do not know about translation Apps. Has your phone received the current software update? It is being rolled out right now. Some have reported an improvement in battery life with it. Because of the phones powerful screen and fast processor, it does use a lot of power. I tend to keep a charger with me, in the car, at work, and at home. I get about 6-8 hours of decent use before hitting 15% and needing to charge.

With rooting, you must be careful. If its not something you are familiar with, it could damage your phones software beyond use. The only current benefit with this phone is the ability to freeze (don't delete) the Apps Verizon reinstalled on the phone. Some have also used setCPU to underclock the processor to save battery.

The camera is decent. Its on a cell phone, so some blurring and graininess is common. Have a steady hand, and play with the settings. I have found that they sometimes do not look that good on the phone, but when I view them on my computer, they look much better than I thought.

Good luck. It is a powerful phone, but you have 30 days to return or exchange if you find you don't like it.
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid & Droid RAZR
    I bought a D2G last week. I rooted it but have not installed a custom rom yet. There is not a recovery program released yet if you mess up installing a custom rom. If you want to learn about rooting my best suggestion is to read the many threads about rooting. That’s how I learned. I also have a Droid 1 that I rooted, installed custom roms and themes. That phone taught me a lot about modifying my phone. I also did a lot of reading on this forum.

Battery use. Try this:
    Click settings: Battery Manager: Battery Mode: your choice….I tried Maximum battery saver (mode) and yesterday in 9 hours went from 100% to 60 % with light use.

If you want to buy another battery, BUY OEM Motorola! The extended battery (BP7X) will work it fits the D1, D2 and D2G. you must buy the extended battery door also.
    btw, this is one of the best, more powerful phones out there, you will grow to love it once you find out all the cool things that it can do
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid/HTC Thunderbolt
    In regards to the battery situation, I suggest using it nonstop till it dies the next few days. Also, people tend to use their battery up super fast when they first get a smartphone. The battery is not exactly trained and when you get a smartphone, you're using it nonstop without even realizing it. Give it a week, and if your battery is still bad, go to Verizon and asked for another one.

Proud Owner of a HTC Thunderbolt
    3/26/11 - Present

Proud Owner of a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
    6/24/11 Present
  5. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3
    Premium Member
    You're more than likely not going to get 2 days of battery life on these devices.

Android devices are not blackberries... the battery isn't going to last days on end.

You should however, have no problem getting a full days charge with moderate/heavy usage.

Try adjusting the screen timeout to 30 or 15 seconds. The screen is a big culprit of battery use. So while not using the camera flash (which is LED so I don't know if you're actually saving much if any battery) MAY be helping, having the screen on while using the camera is surely using some juice.

You should also set your refresh updates for any apps (ie FB, Twitter etc) to longer intervals to help conserve battery.

There a tons and tons of threads around here about conserving battery life

btw, you can check what's using the battery by going into Settings > About phone > Battery usage.... and it'll tell you what your device is using the battery for.

also you might want to look into doing a bump charge (there's threads on it here in the forum) to help ensure your battery is at it's full capability.

... one final note, rooting is not the answer to your battery life. Many people will suggest it, but it's not something you 'just do'. If it interests you I'd suggest doing some research for a bit to decide for yourself. There's much much more that rooting opens the door for than battery life.... and it can create many more issues as well. So be smart with it, and have fun!
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    d2g
    it would be average to get a days worth of usage with moderate usage. The first two weeks I have had the phone battery went dead quick its either I was in the playing with the phone stage and/or battery needed recharge/discharge cycles before its best use.

Also turn off background data in the data manager tab unless your downloading stuff from market also helps to put the phone on maximum battery saver mode. I can last a full day with the phone easily and then some.
    lOVE MY bOosted k2O
  7. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EgooEspada View Post
    In regards to the battery situation, I suggest using it nonstop till it dies the next few days. Also, people tend to use their battery up super fast when they first get a smartphone. The battery is not exactly trained and when you get a smartphone, you're using it nonstop without even realizing it. Give it a week, and if your battery is still bad, go to Verizon and asked for another one.
    Bad suggestion. This battery does not require training, that was true of the old nicad batteries. There is no memory in a lithium battery. While it won't harm the battery to fully discharge, to do it on a regular basis is actually harmful to the battery.
    Please be respectful. Respect is #1 here at DF Please read our Guidelines of Conduct
  8. What iDoesn't
    Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    Phone
    Rezound and Bionic
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    +1!

Quote Originally Posted by hookbill View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EgooEspada View Post
    Bad suggestion. This battery does not require training, that was true of the old nicad batteries. There is no memory in a lithium battery. While it won't harm the battery to fully discharge, to do it on a regular basis is actually harmful to the battery.

DroidForums junkie!!
    "If you think you know everything, you can't learn anything." -Robert Morris

If you like my work or I have helped you out and you would like to help me keep the lights on, it is greatly appreciated!!
    http://bit.ly/ro3alQ
  9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Thank you all this is useful and quick replies
  10. What iDoesn't
    Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    Phone
    Rezound and Bionic
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremynative View Post
    Thank you all this is useful and quick replies
    That's how we roll!!
    "If you think you know everything, you can't learn anything." -Robert Morris

If you like my work or I have helped you out and you would like to help me keep the lights on, it is greatly appreciated!!
    http://bit.ly/ro3alQ
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links