DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Droid 2 Global Bloatware Removal Script

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 2 Global
    just a quick question on this...how noticeable is the battery life gain from this cause the d2g battery blows
  2. Beta Team
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Droid
    DroidForums.net Developer
    Premium Member
    In my opinion...If the only reason you're rooting is to remove the bloatware, it's probably not worth it.

That being said, I feel like the phone is faster, and that the battery lasts longer, but by how much...I have no idea.
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto DROID 2 Global (VZW)
    @buryboi,

could step 9 in your your original post be written as a part of the script itself, with the final -rm replaced with -$1? Then running the script with an argument rm or add would perform the required finction?

Or is there a problem with the su command in the script body etc?
  4. Beta Team
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Droid
    Premium Member
    The first part of Step 9 is only done the first time you install the script (everything except the last line "bloat -rm"). It cant be done as part of the script because it is what makes the script executable.

As far as arguments go, the script has two (it actually has three, but the third one uninstalls it the script so it is unlisted). Once installed as in step 9 (but skipping the last command "bloat -rm") type "bloat" and hit enter to list the arguments.

bloat -rm
    removes the bloatware

bloat -add
    puts it back.

And yes, there do appear to be issues running su in a script (but I'm not the most knowledgeable on scripts, so there might be a workaround).

Let me know if I completely misunderstood your question.

Also if you've got the Clockwork Bootloader setup, it is easier to flash the script as an update.zip, this will remove the bloatware and install the script in one fell swoop. To get the bloatware back, flash it again, or open terminal and type "bloat -add."
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Ah, yes; it only has to be run once when installing the script... I missed that part.

I just thought that having a script would make the operation less prone to typos and other 'disasters'.

I modified the script a bit by removing some of the apps I do use (Kindle, MyVZ etc) and run it, but, a bit worryingly, got a :applet not found message. I have no idea which of the applets i wanted to rename was not on my system... I find the Android U*x version surprisingly crippled; I tried do run a series of commands like these

$su
    #cd /
    #find . -name "*.bak"

but got

find: not found...

what??? Then I tried

#ls -ltR

and got

-ltR: No such file or directory, although

#ls -R

worked.

How the heck can I find on this crippled system what *.bak files are present? There is no grep, no pg, no more...
    Last edited by tony_g; 01-30-2011 at 08:41 PM.
  6. Beta Team
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Droid
    Premium Member
    I think the missing applets are DX apps (Most of the apps have the same names except a couple, rather than having two scripts, I just made one that removes either or).

I assume you have busybox, but yes even with that many commands are lacking. But heck...at the end of the day I guess it is just a phone (I cant believe I just typed that...)
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Again, you hit the nail on the head... I did notice 2 or 3 apps with DX in the name and was a bit wondering...

I also started reading up a bit on BusyBox and see there are some usage syntax issues I should have familiarized myself before I called it names... ;-) The version of busybox included in the z4root isntallation is actually pretty capable, and the applets come with many standard parameters, including those in ls and grep; even awk!
    Last edited by tony_g; 01-31-2011 at 07:12 AM.
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    @buryboi

I think there is a problem with the bloat script on my device: I run bloat -rm, found app not found, then I went to /system/shin and found bloat with 755 permissions. I then went to /???/app (forgot the directory...), but the bloat apps had not their extensions changed from apk to bak. I am not sure what's wrong, but I'm still rooted... Will play with reloaded stilt without the DX apps.
  9. Beta Team
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Droid
    Premium Member
    Did you mean /system/sbin? You shouldn't have a /system/shin folder. Regardless, the script needs to be in /system/xbin to be executable.

If it is in a different folder you'll have to navigate to that folder in terminal and type ./bloat -rm
  10. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Sorry for the typos; it was /system/xbin and /data/app. For some reason, the script doesn't work on my D2G. I'm rooted, have su permissions, can explore the directories, see the /system/xbin/bloat with 755 permissions, but when I try to run the script, I get : applet not found and all my bloatware is still there, with apk extensions... When I run

# busybox find / -name "Block*.apk",
    I get
    /system/app/Blockbuster.apk

Don't really know why the script fails...
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Links