DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Droid 2 Global Bloatware Removal Script

1. Beta Team
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Droid
    DroidForums.net Developer
    Premium Member
    Leobg,

Just for fun, I just tried a factory reset from within stock recovery (hold x on boot, when the exclamation point shows press the search button/magnifying glass on the keyboard, choose wipe data/factory reset and then when that's done choose wipe cache). It wiped and rebooted fine, when I got back into the os, the hidden apps were still gone, as was all my user data. A reboot put me into bootstrap (clockwork) recovery where I restored nandroid to get my data back (so a factory reset doesn't really touch the system partition, mostly just the data partition).

So as far as I could tell a factory reset does not add or remove anything from the system partition, it only wipes the data partition killing user installed apps and data. If a system app has been disabled or removed, it will still be gone after a factory reset. (This has been shown already with the droid 1 and other android phones)

A Nandroid restore (from within clockwork) on the other hand will put things back the way they were at the time the restore point was made.
    Last edited by buryboi; 12-27-2010 at 06:44 PM.
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Droid2 Global/XT860 4G(D3)
    Thanks for trying. My concern was will phone go thru setup proces after hard reset without those applications. Sometimes, due to certain app being disabled/removed, system cannot go past initialization step. If phone is able to boot normally after hard reset with those applications disabled - then all is good!
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 2
    Alright, I was happy to read some of this but when I got to the WHATEVER YOU DO DON'T DELETE THEM part... my face sank... when I unboxed my droid 2 I was immediately upset by all the preloaded crap that was on the phone. Not thinking about how it would effect the ota updates I got z4 root. rooted. and nuked about half of the preinstalled junk. aka DELETED all the apks. the recovery system on the phone is stock as well as the system itself. (2.4.29.A956.Verizon.en.US) would it at all be possible to re-install what i've nuked and the ota update will work or would it not because of something with the other files associated with the apks?? please help i dont want to flash a complete new system or risk bricking my phone at all (
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 2 Global
    P Dizzay -- yeah, I was in the EXACT same boat as you. I made the switch from an old BlackBerry Curve and was extremely excited about trying out Android. I'm also the type of person who likes bare minimum / stock stuff so I can customize it from the ground up and know every inch of what's been done... so I experienced the same letdown when I came to realize how it was going to have to be with the D2G. Not only is the bootloader locked so Cyanogenmod probably won't happen, but it's also so full of bloated crap... makes my head spin...!

And like you, I went on a spree and killed a bunch of stuff early on. Oops.

Check this out: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...stem-dump.html

Use 7Zip to open the several layers of that, and eventually you'll get to all the APKs and ODEXs in system/app. Whew!

It's still a damn crying shame that the D2G is so far removed from Google's stock Android. I have really come to appreciate my D2G in the ~month I've had it, but to this day, this is the one thing that nags at me and makes me question my decision.
  5. Beta Team
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Droid
    Premium Member

To install the system update, you have to put the bloatware back

Download the link ComradeF posted above (the Droid 2 Global system dump). Unfortunately you cant just install them like you would an app from the market. They must be pushed to the /system/app folder and then the permissions must be properly set. Here are some more detailed instructions if you need them:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...ml#post1112999
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 2
    THANK YOU SO MUCH!
    I'm currently at school so when I get home tonight i will be definately trying this.
    I just now purchased the root explorer. The cost of the app was peanuts comapared to the anxiety i was dealing with over this. thanks for replying very swiftly becuase i was seriously considering full smb reformat when i got home today. Your link to step by step instructions is VERY helpful and makes complete sense. The only thing stopping me from doing this now is that the school computers don't let me install anything. so 7zip is not available

THANKS SO MUCH!
  7. Beta Team
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Droid
    Premium Member
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 2
    Okay, so I replaced every single app that was missing successfully, rebooted, all apps present.
    Weird thing, contact pictures gone, and when i click on "system update" it says system update is not available without a Motorola service account. Has a button to setup the account but only shows the account manager window with only options as facebook, myspace, twitter. etc.

Any suggestions?
  9. Beta Team
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Droid
    Premium Member
    Is your Google account still there after adding the apps back and rebooting? I'm not sure why it would be gone (unless restoring some deleted app messed up your primary account somehow). As far as I'm aware, I've never heard of a "Motorola Service Account" so it must be talking about a google account. The profile pictures are stored in the "cloud" (I think) so if they are not showing up, it would seem like your not really syncing with google, and the contacts that do show up are left over from the last time it synced (theoretically before you restored the apps and rebooted.) Which apps did you remove and put back? And did you make sure get all the ".odex" files back as well?
  10. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 2
    My google account is still active on the phone and i can send/recieve messages.
    Although, when i sync the accounts in the "accounts" menu it shows the syncing animation in the window but not in the status bar. Is there a way i can re-setup my google account? i have all my contacts in a vcard file so contact integrity is not a problem.

As far as applications re-installed/copied....

amazon mp3
    android-syncservice-app
    backupassistance client
    blockbuster
    blue-services
    buacontactadapter
    cityid
    cmas
    friendfeed
    help center
    homesyncwizard
    inpocketservice
    kindle
    mynet
    myverizon
    newswidget
    performance manager
    status widget
    weather widget
    work contacts

Would it be that sync service or blur-services just needs to re-register my google account to be back to normal?
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Links