Oh thank god for that system dump! I've been looking for replacements for deleted stock apps since my noob self got carried away with titanium backup (and I only had the free version at the time), and none of the droid2 dumps were working.
I successfully reinstalled everything except CarDock.apk (CarDock.odex) and Mynet.apk (Mynet.odex). I haven't tried putting the apk and odex files in system before installing though.. I'll try that next. Any other ideas/suggestions? I know these apps are different than the others (blockbuster, amazon mp3, etc) because the odex files are uniquely generated by the phone, but does it have to be my odex or just the apk and odex need to match? Thanks in advance, I'm still pretty new to this!
EDIT: Nevermind, figured it out! Anyone who stumbles across this though, here's how you reinstall the apks that have odex files associated with them:
1) Move BOTH the apk and the odex file to system/apps, but do not attempt to install the apk
2) change permissions to rw-r--r-- for BOTH files
3) Reboot -- the device will reinstall the files itself, you cannot manaully install them.
Note: I got a scary black screen that looked like I was toast, but I just booted again with the power button and it booted properly, with the stock apps as they should be!
Last edited by Tvox08; 12-03-2010 at 12:51 PM.
1) I had to download a program called BitZipper on my Windows Vista to view and extract the files from the System Dump.
2) After the files from the system dump were extracted... I copied them in to my Droid' SDcard.
3) I downloaded Root Explorer from applanet (google it if you don't know what that is) and using root explorer I was able to copy the missing files from the SDcard into the System App on my phone. Changed permissions as Tvox08 stated, rebooted my phone and Viola!!! Text Messing Icon is back with the ability to send/receive Picture Messages.
Note: If you try to move files from sdcard to system app using root explorer... you have to click on ...Mount R/W... to change it to ...Mount R/O... and that will give you the ability to move files into system app and when you're done.. change it back to ..Mount R/W...
Its been a real pleasure working with you gentlemen.
God bless and Go DG2 and AndroidForums.net
I know this is an older post, but would this system dump work on a droid X? I have the EXACT same problem... i was removing files and backing them up with titanium, yet somehow my mms and messaging program magically disappeared and was not located on my titanium, so i also can't receive MMS texts and the default texting message icon is gone from my apps. Any thoughts???
uuuuuuuugh its still not showing up. tried exactly what you said and what another forum said with the droid x dump files i downloaded. it shows "messaging" on my apps, which when i click on that, has a logo for "text messaging" and when i click on that, it immediately goes to the home screen and nothing opens. any thoughts on something else im supposed to do after rebooting the phone?
whoooooooaaaa i think i got it! I'll let you know if its still messed up in a minute here.... but i transfered another file that said "conversations" too... dunno why that would matter.
ok... it sorta works. I think i get MMS messages now, but only thru secondary programs. My stock "TEXT MESSAGE" app shows up, but, i can't use it... still just goes to the home screen and nothing pops up when i click on it. handcent works just fine. strange
ok still weird. now i get a message from the default app saying "sim card full" - but handcent receives the mms messages just fine. what the eff. don't know how to get rid of that
Last edited by Jmac146; 03-29-2011 at 02:53 PM.