DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: ps3 wireless tether achieved...with help

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Razr

ps3 wireless tether achieved...with help

so i ranted and raved about having slaved through the trials of rooting my d2g and all for nothing because i'm still w/o wireless tether directly with my phone ...well after a bit of searching and playing around i got wireless to work with my ps3 again...but it needed some help

put all your rooting aside and get back to the phone basics you will need:

#1 a computer/laptop running windows7

#2 a copy of pda.net, here PdaNet -- USB Tether/Bluetooth DUN for Android
    donate to them so you can have full access to the web. ($15) the free version does not do secured sites like gmail etc.

then set up your pda.net tether so you have internet on the win7 computer, after you get internet on the computer,

#3 go download and install a free program called connectify. it's here Your Hotspot, Your Way - Connectify install and run connectify and then you set up your win7 computer as wireless hotspot.

then you can hook up everything you have wireless to the pc running connectify that is tethered through your phone via PDA.net with your unlimited wireless...

now connectify does support vista and XP but it is only through AD-HOC..which won't work for many things because of the security protocols. i currently have my ps3, my laptop, my wife's laptop, and ipad2 all connected at once.. it works and i'm only running the free version, there are more options with the pro version if you feel frisky.

if your going to be streaming massive things, (hulu, youtube etc) this may not work as well because you'll split the signal..but for surfing the internet/email checking and doing occasional updates/downloading various applications it's more then adequate

i don't know if anyone has shared this before, but there it is...if it helps one other person then it's worth it...

3. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    All the details not needed. Just run "wireless tether" (on froyo) or
    "Open garden" (on Gingerbread) and change the connecting to the internet options in you ps3 settings.

Whala. Connected...

sent from

Droid 2 Global running CM7GB
    Connected to my Original Backwards Compatible 80gig PS3 with Open Garden(free in the market)

Edit:
    Sorry. To do it THIS way you either have to root (to do this for free) or use the stock pay-extra-to-use carrier-bloatware app
    Last edited by ElectroGeek; 12-03-2011 at 07:29 PM.
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Razr
    does open garden work with update 2.3.3? obviously not...verizon blocked tethering with the latest update

Jeffrey on November 11, 2011
    Having Issues...

App works fine but causes Droid 3 to initiate internal hotspot overriding and blocking app from connecting. Help would get a better rating."

jeremy on December 2, 2011

Verizon sucks

Verizon is not allowing the app to work on my DROIDX just sends me to their page that wants $20 a month for hotspot usage other wise the app works

Julio Cesar on November 22, 2011

Didn't work

Verizon is charging me extra now

Last edited by turnpike; 12-04-2011 at 04:13 AM.
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    I flashed from .608 to revnunbers cm7gb kang about a week ago. Prior to that I was using "wireless tether" now I am using open garden. No problems whatsoever. I don't know everything, but this does work with cm7gb...

sent from

Droid 2 Global running CM7GB

Links