DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: A Little Problem

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 2 Global

A Little Problem

First of all, I have searched Google for my problem and haven't seen a real straight forward answer (or one that I can understand). I don't know what most abbreviations mean, etc. So if you could answer as simply as possible (or give a brief explanation of something) if you are to use more technical terms I would appreciate it!

Now, I have a Droid 2 Global, just installed the new update, to Gingerbread (I guess). When I look in my phone information it says 2.3.3. Before I installed the latest update, I had rooted my phone with z4root, and it worked very simply. Got the job done. Now, after updating (foolishly, without unrooting first) I no longer have a rooted phone. The update apparently unrooted my phone, but I still have Superuser on it. I try to reroot with z4root (which is still on my phone) but it didn't work, and from what I have now read it doesn't work with Gingerbread. I also tried to root with the Petes Motorola Root Tools and that seemed like it would work, but after 15 minutes or so was still running exploit. I'm assuming its not working because I already have Superuser, but I don't know how to get passed that.

I have read that a possible solution is to sbf (don't really know what that is) back to a previous version and then root (or something like that) but it didn't really click with me, probably being written from an admin on a forum who knows a heck of a lot more than I do. So, what would be a simple way to do this? Also would it clear data on my phone, and how would I go about backing it up?

Sorry if the question has been asked already, maybe my searching skills need improvement. Just point me in the right direction if you have seen a fix for this. Hopefully it's not very complicated and doesn't involve me clearing the data on my phone...I don't really want a big hassle. But either way, thanks for reading, and thanks in advance for whatever you can tell me.
  2. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Phone
    Note II, D2G
    it has been asked and answered many many many times lol.
    ok so z4root doesnt work on gingerbread(2.33) but it will unroot you(probably not relavant now). you could try droid 3 one click root i used that on mine and it got the job done, i dont know if thats the same as petes motorola root tool but its worth a shot.
    and as for SBF = system boot file, i would not suggest doing that because then you would lose all your apps and data and its just a big hastle.
  3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    64 times
    Phone
    Droid X, 2, 2G, X2, D3, D4
    you have to manually unlock screen lock after Petes reboots phone so it can continue

and I installed Droid 3 Bootstrap after
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Phone
    droid2 global
    Quote Originally Posted by themib View Post
    you have to manually unlock screen lock after Petes reboots phone so it can continue

and I installed Droid 3 Bootstrap after
    Fyi. The d2 bootstrapper still work's flawlessly on GB. no need to get the d3 bootstrap.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums
  5. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 2 Global
    Thanks for the answers guys.

However, I went to the Motorola One Click Root and downloaded it, started running it (making sure phone was connected, charge only, etc). It found the phone, and ran exploit step 1 (setting up symlink) then it said Rebooting your phone... and stayed there. Just wondering how long did it take to run through the first reboot using this, and how long did the whole thing take?
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    64 times
    Phone
    you may have to manually unlock screen lock after it reboots phone so it can continue
    [ROOT] Framaroot, a one-click .apk to root
    Droid 2 (a955), Droid 2 Global (a956), R2D2 (a957), & Droid X (MB810)

sd_shadow's (themib) [Collection] of Links: FAQs, Guides, Rooting, SBFs, ROMs... - sites.google.com

Always in motion is the future
  7. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 2 Global
    Thanks. Actually it wouldn't even reboot, would just say it was on the program but the phone did nothing. However on the 3rd try I think it finally rebooted it, (for the first step) its running right now so we'll see how that goes

Update: It finished running, everything went according to plan (according to the program) but when I tried to run an app that requires root access, it says I am not rooted. I'm rebooting it manually though, hopefully that will change after...
    Update again: Nope, still not rooted. Got anything else I can try?
    Last edited by xSpartan15x; 11-10-2011 at 10:30 PM.
  8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    64 times
    Phone
    use Pete's
    How To Root: One-Click for Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows Server 2008

you could try wiping cache
    use Stock Recovery

if you are rooted you should have superuser in your apps

Last edited by themib; 11-12-2011 at 10:34 AM.
    [ROOT] Framaroot, a one-click .apk to root
    Droid 2 (a955), Droid 2 Global (a956), R2D2 (a957), & Droid X (MB810)

sd_shadow's (themib) [Collection] of Links: FAQs, Guides, Rooting, SBFs, ROMs... - sites.google.com

Always in motion is the future
  9. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 2 Global
    Thanks, it seemed like it was about to work, but then got an error, because I already have superuser in my apps but I'm not rooted (if that makes sense). It told me to unroot first, but then it says "Do you want to restore your /system/app files too?" I don't remember removing any system files manually, so I guess it doesn't matter, but I'm not sure if either chose would make a difference or if it could mess something up. Would it matter if I picked yes or no?

Edit: Picked yes, says /restore/backup doesnt exist. It says to download that, so I'm going to try that and see what happens...hopefully doesnt mess with anything.
    Last edited by xSpartan15x; 11-12-2011 at 01:32 PM.
  10. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    droid2
    I'm sorry this is so off topic, but I am new to this and couldn't find a post about it.

Recently, I updated my phone and now my voicemail password is no longer the same. It will not work and I have tried the last four digits of my phone number and my old password. Is there anyway that I can change my password without deleting the voicemails?

Any suggestions? Thanks for reading !
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links