Switching Droid --> D2G
So after about a million miles with my D1 it finally crapped out and the replacement they gave me was a D2G. I had done a ton of rooting with my D1, tried doing it different ways and checked out just about every ROM out there. As soon as I got my D2G I started reading up on rooting it and it seems like the process is a bit different from the D1 and I've run in to a lot of questions that I haven't been able to find any solid answers to.
1. I'm almost positive I know the answer to this one, but I'll ask anyways - Can the same methods of rooting, ROMs, themes etc. be used for D2 and D2G? I'm assuming no.
2. Is there a .sbf I can flash to root? It seems like everything I've found is about using z4root. I don't have a problem with this but for some reason I feel like it's not as solid? Correct me if I'm wrong.
3. As far as recovery goes I can't seem to figure out how to get into a custom recovery to create nandroid - I guess when you use z4root it doesn't install CWRecovery?
4. Can ROM Manager be used with D2G? When you configure it to your phone it only gives options for Milestone, DX, and D2, but no D2G.
5. If ROM manager can be used, can you install roms from the install rom SD option? If not, what's the best method of installing?
6. Finally I know there's no CM for the D2G (quite depressing), but what are some recommendations for good ones and where is the best place to get them? Any ROMs with gingerbread?
Answers/links to help answer any of my questions would be very much appreciated. I'm pretty anxious to start playing with this guy and be using it at full potential.
1. Not sure, I forgot how I rooted my original Droid, but z4root should work
2. Don't think so. z4root has always worked for me, I install it, restart the phone, and run it.
3. Once your rooted, you can install a custom recovery.
4. I think Rom Manager works with D2G. It should allow you to download ClockworkMod recovery, you will need a bootstrapper however.
6. Fission rom is pretty good, the GET-R-DONE team here on this board has been producing quality stuff too.
answers in quote
Originally Posted by ace8707
Welcome to the d2g community...im sorry, but its unfortunate because d2g has a locked bootloader and doesn't get as much developer love...but, here are your answers
1.No, and yes....the d2g has different firmware/software and flashing a d2 rom would bootloop you...the good people in the get-r-done team have made a rommer that can be flashed over a d2 rom to make it work, but sensors don't work after doing such.
2. No, there are no sbf's you canal flash that have superuser in the apps...z4root is a quick and efficient way to root the d2g...took me one try, total of 5 min...tops.
3. Download Koush's d2/dx bootstrapper, it is clockwork recovery for d2/dx/d2g's
4. I don't use rom manager, because it isn't for our phone...there are VERY limited options as far as roms go for the global...fission is one, it has its own rom manager, but the developers have stopped updating for the global...whether that be from lack of appreciation(probly), or angdroid just threw in the towell to pursue real life work, lol..
5.don't use rommanager...if u do...I see a sbf in your future
6.correct...no CM, but, fissions rom manager(get the lite version, it has everything the pro does, go to team defuse website)...in the fissionrommanger they have gingerbread themes, but I believe one or two I used wasn't deodexed so when I tried metamorphing a couple things it made my settings.apk vanish from the app drawer...but, the one I got now, is perfect
As far as other roms go, there are only slimmed stock roms, people are actually starting to poke,prod,and tweak their d2g's, so we will be getting some good stuff soon hopefully....alot of people w globals have flashed liberty and the grd rommer after,...when I had the droid2, I rocked liberty and loved it...I just haveto have my sensors so I have autolandscape, tilt, and all that good stuff...I thought about flashing it and making a nandroid of it so I could use it when I didn't need my phone for work, so I had no need for the sensors...but, idk...so, I hope this kindof helps...sorry if someone posted before me, it took me a cool minute to type all ths and think while im working...if you have any more ?S pm me and I will help you out more...good luck w everything
Everything been covered pretty good here, but just to chime in on the z4root app, its great! I had my doubts to. It could be used on my old Moto Backflip but only for temp root, on the D2G, it will apply a permanent root and has never given me a problem! Its just as solid of a root as if you were to execute the commands from ADB. I havent checked the source code, but i believe all z4root is, is more or less a gui that you tap permanent root, and it will execute the needed terminal commands behind the scenes for you.