DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The official d2g sbf from TBH

Member #
    Phone
    Droid 2 Global
    Thanks Ace! I remember reading a while ago if your phone had a newer version and you flashed an older version sbf you would get into trouble.

Thanks to all that is making this possible. Let's show 'em D2G CAN be just as fun as the D1.
  2. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    D1, D2 dev, DX dev, D2WE dev
    That is definitely the case with other models. You cannot revert to older versions even with SBF files in most cases.

I can definitely confirm that a stock device can be flashed back to the 2.4.29 original release version from the 2.4.33 OTA update without any problems.

The difference between a full SBF and the system/boot SBF is that the full version will flash the radio baseband and will require OTA activation afterward, whereas the system/boot version will not flash the radio and service programming will be preserved.

Neither file will flash the cache or data partitions, which is why it is necessary to wipe the cache partition manually after flashing the 2.4.29 SBF on a device that has 2.4.33 installed. It is the cache partition that is incompatible and causes the bootloop if it isn't manually wiped.

We will very likely be releasing the 2.4.33 SBF as well at some point, but right now this file can be safely used to recover any D2G that is unbootable on either firmware version.
    CellZealot

TeamBlackHat

Digital alchemy for the Droid and beyond
  3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Twitter
    DreadHeadsk8ter
    Phone
    (VZW) Samsung Galaxy S3
    Plz some1 explain the sbf to me in 3rd grade level... new to droid

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Quote Originally Posted by Swirly View Post
    Plz some1 explain the sbf to me in 3rd grade level... new to droid

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App
    I did a quick google search and most of the pages found were about how to unbrick a phone. It doesn't really explain how the sbf file and the process goes.

How do SBF files work?

The above post sort of explains it, but I still don't really understand it. If someone could post or post a link to how the process works, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid 2 Global
    The concept of and SBF file is pretty simple. When a cellphone leaves the factory, it has it's software flashed onto it and tested by the manufacturer. They use a specific image file of that software so that it can easily be installed on tons of devices quickly.

The SBF is that file. They are closely protected by manufacturers, and I am not sure how they get obtained for us to use, beyond the notion of someone on the inside "leaking" them.

Having an SBF file is helpful if someone has bricked their device while attempting to modify it's original software. This can be from trying to flash a custom rom, tweaking some OS visual element, or removing a required app from the OS, among others. The ability to flash back to stock can undo most user-created problems.

You use a piece of software available from Motorola, RSDLite, as well as various drivers, to flash this onto your phone from within Windows. This wipes the phones ROM, flashing it to a like-new factory state. Once completed, the phone will need to be set up as if it was just being taken out of the box.

You will want to follow the instructions on the page linked to in the first post, as well as have the drivers extracted and easily available for the flashing process. The step by step process is in the second post on the linked page. I find that the second method works the best.
    Last edited by tebower; 01-03-2011 at 01:37 PM.
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Phone
    droid 4
    Quote Originally Posted by sixstringedmatt View Post
    Can someone clarify, if this sbf is the older one, and there is an OTA update that is newer, are we still able to use this? I read somewhere you shouldn't because you chance bricking your phone...

I am a RSDLite noob
    I'm very much a RSDLite noob too, so I have a question! I put my phone into PC mode, have USB debugging on and run RSDLite. My device doesn't show up. It did once, but had a strange model number and no IMEI etc. Any ideas?
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid 2 Global
    Use this method instead:

Method 2: While phone is off
    To manually put your device in bootloader mode:
    Turn off device
    press and hold the up and down volume buttons
    power on device (continue to hold the up and down volume buttons)
    wala - you are in bootloader mode
    Launch RSDLite (make sure device appears in window)
    Select SBF
    Start

I have never had a detection problem when flashing an SBF from the phone's bootloader mode. It is a mode specifically designed to complete this process. I wouldn't do it any other way.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Phone
    droid 4
    Quote Originally Posted by tebower View Post
    Use this method instead:

Method 2: While phone is off
    To manually put your device in bootloader mode:
    Turn off device
    press and hold the up and down volume buttons
    power on device (continue to hold the up and down volume buttons)
    wala - you are in bootloader mode
    Launch RSDLite (make sure device appears in window)
    Select SBF
    Start

I have never had a detection problem when flashing an SBF from the phone's bootloader mode. It is a mode specifically designed to complete this process. I wouldn't do it any other way.
    Thanks, that seems to work better. Is the info showing here "enough", didn't know if RSDLite should be showing more about the phone.

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The official d2g sbf from TBH-rsd.jpg  
    Last edited by silver6054; 01-03-2011 at 01:49 PM.
  9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 2 Global

Thumbs up

An easier way to get to bootloader mode would be to hold the up arrow on your keyboard while powering on your phone. Just thought I would throw that out there since i find it difficult to hold the up and down volume buttons while powering on my phone. Thanks to P3droid and Cellzealot for all their hard work.
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    D1, D2 dev, DX dev, D2WE dev
    Yes, the reason P3Droid states the other way is because he has so many different phones and the method he posted works on most or all of them.

The only addition I would make to the overview of SBF files posted above is that none of the SBF files will write to the data or cache partition by default and so to truly return to a "factory state" requires a factory reset/wipe of those partitions.

This is best done before a flash if you anticipate having any problems ie; you are on the OTA 2.4.33 already and are flashing the 2.4.29 SBF for any reason.
    If you are using the bootstrap recovery and you want to keep your data partition for the sake of ease, then you can select to wipe cache by itself.
    Then, press/hold the up arrow on the keyboard while pressing the camera key to reboot from recovery. You will go directly to bootloader then and can connect the phone to PC and proceed to flash.

The reason this trick is important and useful is because if you were to reboot normally from the bootstrap recovery after wiping the cache partition it would be rebuilt again with the 2.4.33 components that you just wiped. Holding the up arrow and going directly to bootloader avoids this problem.

This is only if you are intent on preserving data for some reason.

You can also do this after you have flashed but it will bootloop and have to get into recovery and it's generally messier and scarier if you do it that way.
    CellZealot

TeamBlackHat

Digital alchemy for the Droid and beyond
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Links