DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: For the love of the gods someone find a way to kill the bloatware.

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 2
    Amazon MP3, Kindle, CityID, Skype, etc. Will all be out the door when I get my D2 rooted as well. Can't wait.

Quote Originally Posted by spdivr1122 View Post
    i honestly like the way the software looks (of course i downloaded launcherpro though) i just want the d2 to be rooted so i can use wifi tether for free. no way am i paying 20 bucks for that
    PDAnet, it's free, and you can USB tether or use bluetooth, also you can text from your PC.

Also, Easytether is an option, but it doesn't support 64bit.
  2. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X2
    Yea there are a few "FREE" apps in the android market that allow tethering for free.. just have to search.
  3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    LauncherPro is a great app. It disables the Blur homescreen and makes everything run faster.

Things I love about Launcher Pro:

-Dock screen that lets you choose shortcuts to any 5 apps from the main screen. Also allows the Droid 1 multiple homescreen preview and toggle buttons.

-Can choose custom icons which appear in the dock

-Can choose what color the highlights appear when you press a button, no more red

-Allows you to hide icons to apps you don't use, so your app drawer is less cluttered.

**By the way, make note of how your homescreen was BEFORE installing LauncherPro, as you will need to reapply all the shortcuts and widgets to your homescreens.

This app is a must have for Droid 2 users.
    Last edited by guyinlaca; 08-19-2010 at 10:27 AM.
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Quote Originally Posted by guyinlaca View Post
    LauncherPro is a great app. It disables the Blur homescreen and makes everything run faster.

Things I love about Launcher Pro:

-Dock screen that lets you choose shortcuts to any 5 apps from the main screen. Also allows the Droid 1 multiple homescreen preview and toggle buttons.

-Can choose custom icons which appear in the dock

-Can choose what color the highlights appear when you press a button, no more red

-Allows you to hide icons to apps you don't use, so your app drawer is less cluttered.

**By the way, make note of how your homescreen was BEFORE installing LauncherPro, as you will need to reapply all the shortcuts and widgets to your homescreens.

This app is a must have for Droid 2 users.

As much as I appreciate it, yes, we know. This isn't about Blur, it's about the clutterware in general. It makes no difference whether it's hidden or not, it's still there.
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 2
    I agree with the general air of this thread. Too much stupid crapware on this excellent machine.

Personally tired of being tied down by corporate coding.

MY current situation deals with a problem with a solution that you'd think would be so simple, yet it's still prevented because of corporate coding.

Currently, for whatever reason, Skype isn't the correct icon. It looks like a tech icon. It's the computer monitor with a gear. Also, skype's name isn't "skype," instead, it's "com.skype.android.verizon" and it's pissing me off.
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 2
    [quote=Arachnidus;751710]
    Quote Originally Posted by [URL="http://www.droidforums.net/forum/members/arachnidus.html"
    Arachnidus[/URL];750468]
    As much as I appreciate it, yes, we know. This isn't about Blur, it's about the clutterware in general. It makes no difference whether it's hidden or not, it's still there.
    This. I want to get rid of the stupid crap on the device I paid for.
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Droid2
    Life's full of stupid crap. As long as it doesn't burn battery life I don't much care about it.

Me, I'd like to 86 the Blockbuster app just because I despise the company. Is that enough to get worked up about? Not really...
  8. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID2

Angry it is all FoistWare!

I'm not so concerned about pre-installed apps as long as they don't run without asking me. CityID is what really pisses me off because it runs without my permission, can't be uninstalled, and when the "free trial" expiration notice pops-up you can either succumb and pay the $1.99 to subscribe to the pointless P.O.S. service that it is or 'Extend' the free trial. Why would I pay or extend something I don't want?!

This is a prime example of foistware and Verizon, Google, Motorola should shamed . We pay good money for these phones and should be able to control all aspects of its use, that includes deleting unwanted pre-installed software. Problem is the developers of said software pays more money to be able to foist this crap on us.
  9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 2
    Quote Originally Posted by JBDroid2 View Post
    I'm not so concerned about pre-installed apps as long as they don't run without asking me. CityID is what really pisses me off because it runs without my permission, can't be uninstalled, and when the "free trial" expiration notice pops-up you can either succumb and pay the $1.99 to subscribe to the pointless P.O.S. service that it is or 'Extend' the free trial. Why would I pay or extend something I don't want?!

This is a prime example of foistware and Verizon, Google, Motorola should shamed . We pay good money for these phones and should be able to control all aspects of its use, that includes deleting unwanted pre-installed software. Problem is the developers of said software pays more money to be able to foist this crap on us.
    Hah! Thirty seconds with Google .... and .... City ID is a product of CEQUINT, and they brag about how many handsets they are installed on.

Cequint | The Answer to Who is Calling

They have a Contact Us page ... I think everyone who hates City ID should contact them and ask for a way to remove their crappy bloatware from their phones.

Cequint Incorporated
    1011 Western Avenue Suite 800
    Seattle, Washington 98104

Phone 206.264.1909
    Fax 206.299.9127

General Inquiries
    info@cequint.com
    Sales
    sales@cequint.com

Customer Support
    support@cequint.com

Webmaster
    web@cequint.com
  10. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID2
    Thanks ShinySideup...

http://www.cequint.com/FAQs/CityID_FAQs.pdf

This FAQ states that it does not run in the background and quits after it is queried by an incoming or outgoing call. But (quote) "Many devices leave City ID in memory (similar to other applications) until the handset requires memory for another task. Althought City ID is in memory, it is not running. There is no need to use a task killer to shut it down since it is not running, not using any CPU time and not blocking any other apllication from claiming its memory."

That is funny, my Droid2 clearly shows City ID listed under the "Running" tab after a call comes. (I force stopped it, then called my own cellphone to see what it does)

I DON'T CARE what they claim!!! I don't want it, didn't ask for it, and don't need it, so get it off of MY phone. It takes up 160KB of physical space for the app and after it processes a call it takes up an additional ~350KB for its database.

Blockbluster foistware takes 396KB
    Amazon MP3 takes 452KB.
    Kindle taks 1.73MB (wtf?!)
    Skype mobile takes 376KB

That is 3114KB of physical memory space I could use for stuff that I WANT and take the time to download for myself.

How about if the cellphone provider gives you an option when you buy the phone if you want to have a pre-installed bundle of applications 'we think you might want because we get paid if you do'? At least then it is our choice!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links