I've been mucking around with this all day and I give up.
While standing in line for the Nexus this morning, I turned my D2 off. When I attempted to turn it back on, it got to the Motorola logo (GB) and then rebooted. Over and over and over. I pulled the battery and tried again. Same thing. I tried to hold X and press power button to get into recovery, it just shows the M logo and reboots over and over.
History of the D2 (as best I can recall):
1) From Froyo, rooted and went to Liberty.
2) Went to Apex (can't recall exact details but it worked).
3) Had problems with Apex that got worse and worse over time (phone would reboot multiple times before finally loading Android - one day it rebooted over and over and over and that's when I SBFed back to Froyo)
4) Missed Apex, saw Apex 2 RC3 was out, went to Apex 2 RC3.
5) Had problem with Apex 2 RC3 (one day phone just rebooted over and over and over)
6) SBFed back to Froyo and then updated to GB. I had problems here in the past, but it eventually worked and I hadn't had any problems with the phone in about a month.
I've tried multiple versions of RSD Lite and multiple versions of the Motorola drivers. I've used VRZ_A955_2.3.20_1FF_01.sbf to SBF. I've re-downloaded this sbf file multiple times. The SBF process never shows any errors and always runs completely up to the point of the phone rebooting with no problems.
I tried to catch the phone with "adb restart recovery" since I can't do the power button + X to get into recovery, but I can never catch it and I only ever see "error: device not found."
I've pulled the battery. Dozens of times. It never does anything except end the Moto logo boot loop. I cannot get into recovery to wipe the cache and data which is what is probably the problem based on my limited understanding and the reading I've been doing all night.
The only thing I can get to is the bootloader (if that's the right term... power button + up arrow). It's version D2.37. I've seen people mention going back to D2.35 but I cannot locate a file to accomplish this anywhere so I'm not sure if there's a reason for that or not.
I do have the Nexus now, so the D2 not working is no big deal but the plan was to give it to my son to use as a non-phone Android equivalent to the iPod Touch.
Does anyone have any idea what to do to fix this? Am I posting in the right spot?
Thanks for any help anyone can offer.