DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Few noob questions post root.

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic

Few noob questions post root.

Hey everyone, I just rooted this past weekend and flashed my first ROM today (Squidly 2.3.2.20 is amazing, thanks spaz for the steps you laid out in another thread) so I'm still new to all this. I flashed using Droid 2 Bootstrap and I also downloaded Titanium Backup. I got a few questions before I try to flash other ROMs:

1). Since I flashed using Droid 2 Bootstrap, if I want to flash other ROMs can I still use Droid 2 Bootstrap? Or do I need ROM manager? What exactly is difference between the two?

2). You're suppose to wipe before flashing ROMs right? So is this like a factory reset and you lose everything? And this is where titanium backup comes in? So it would work by creating a back up, redownloading it from the market, and restore from there?

3). Theming? Will each ROM has its own direction in terms of themes or are there general apps that help me change the look?

I haven't Overclocked yet but I'll messing with that soon enough Any other advice would be GREATLY appreciated!

3. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus, T-bolt, Droid 2
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexSB View Post
    Hey everyone, I just rooted this past weekend and flashed my first ROM today (Squidly 2.3.2.20 is amazing, thanks spaz for the steps you laid out in another thread) so I'm still new to all this. I flashed using Droid 2 Bootstrap and I also downloaded Titanium Backup. I got a few questions before I try to flash other ROMs:

1). Since I flashed using Droid 2 Bootstrap, if I want to flash other ROMs can I still use Droid 2 Bootstrap? Or do I need ROM manager? What exactly is difference between the two?

You will still use the bootstrapper. Rom manager is more or less useless on the droid 2.

2). You're suppose to wipe before flashing ROMs right? So is this like a factory reset and you lose everything? And this is where titanium backup comes in? So it would work by creating a back up, redownloading it from the market, and restore from there?

Its indeed a factory reset that you will preform in clockwork. And yes you have the steps right. Use titanium to back up all your apps and then once your new rom is flashed you will dl tb and restore all your apps.

3). Theming? Will each ROM has its own direction in terms of themes or are there general apps that help me change the look?

Each rom will have themes that are made for/ported to it. Themes are flashed in clockwork like a rom but don't require a wipe.

I haven't Overclocked yet but I'll messing with that soon enough Any other advice would be GREATLY appreciated!
    Answered some questions in the quote.

tappin and a talkin
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Quote Originally Posted by spaz33g View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexSB View Post

You will still use the bootstrapper. Rom manager is more or less useless on the droid 2.

Its indeed a factory reset that you will preform in clockwork. And yes you have the steps right. Use titanium to back up all your apps and then once your new rom is flashed you will dl tb and restore all your apps.

Each rom will have themes that are made for/ported to it. Themes are flashed in clockwork like a rom but don't require a wipe.

Answered some questions in the quote.

tappin and a talkin

I can basically delete ROM manager then? For titanium backup is the paid version how I freeze apps? Thanks a lot for your help man.
  5. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Phone
    Any time. You can back up and restore apps with the free version but you need the paid one to freeze apps.

tappin and a talkin
  6. What iDoesn't
    Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    Phone
    Rezound and Bionic
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    Spaz is the man

DroidForums Junkie!!
    "If you think you know everything, you can't learn anything." -Robert Morris

If you like my work or I have helped you out and you would like to help me keep the lights on, it is greatly appreciated!!
    http://bit.ly/ro3alQ
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Thanks Imma look into getting the paid version soon then. I gotta question about Root Explorer though, is it like the Astro for rooted version? Why would I need another Astro?

Quote Originally Posted by Droid DOES!! View Post
    Spaz is the man

DroidForums Junkie!!
    LOL yea he is, I'm surprised he doesn't have a fanclub yet though lol
  8. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Phone
    You guys are too kind. Anyway root explorer is indeed a file manager like astro but it has way more abilities. For one it can mount your system from ro (read only) to rw (read writeable)

Long story short you wont need it till you need it.

tappin and a talkin
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Lol oh ok I'll just stick to Astro for now. Are there any other apps I need to get/should get now that I'm rooted? I'm gonna read that Overclocking 101 novel of a post soon before I start messing with Overclocking my phone.
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Use SetCPU to drop your processor speed when your screen turns off, it helps with battery life, immensely.
  11. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Oh snap good looking out man im probably going to download setcpu first just for that reason even before I start OC

Sent from my D2 running squidlys mod
    Shoot for the moon, if you miss you're still amongst those stars.

Links