DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Citrus Root & tether?

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    2 cups & a string
    I did it using z4root, I used the 'temporary root' option cuz I was a little scared to try the permanant. It seemed to work & after about 5 mins it said I had root. But at that point the whole phone got suuuuuper slow I mean like completely unusable. I tried to kill off some tasks but it didn't help. I rebooted and things are back to normal but I guess the root is gone. I heard some ppl used the permanent root on the citrus and it worked. so maybe i'll give it a shot.

also, what app (or what method) should I use to delete or disable some of the garbage that comes with this phone? i want to free up space for apps that I will actually use.

I need to delete the following junk:
    "My Verizon"
    Bing
    "Backup Assistant"
    City ID
    Facebook
    "File Manager"
    Bing Maps
    MobileIM
    MySpace
    QuickOffice
    Skype mobile
    Treehugger
    VCAST Tones
    VCAST videos
    VZ Navigator
    WeeWorld
  2. What iDoesn't
    Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    Phone
    Rezound and Bionic
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    Do NOT delete the bloatware! Either rename it with Root Explorer or freeze it with Titanium Backup Pro, trust me!
    Temporary Root is supposed to remove root after a reboot...that's what's "temporary" about it. Permanent root can still be unrooted but su will remain until you do so.

Quote Originally Posted by luckman212 View Post
    I did it using z4root, I used the 'temporary root' option cuz I was a little scared to try the permanant. It seemed to work & after about 5 mins it said I had root. But at that point the whole phone got suuuuuper slow I mean like completely unusable. I tried to kill off some tasks but it didn't help. I rebooted and things are back to normal but I guess the root is gone. I heard some ppl used the permanent root on the citrus and it worked. so maybe i'll give it a shot.

also, what app (or what method) should I use to delete or disable some of the garbage that comes with this phone? i want to free up space for apps that I will actually use.

I need to delete the following junk:
    "My Verizon"
    Bing
    "Backup Assistant"
    City ID
    Facebook
    "File Manager"
    Bing Maps
    MobileIM
    MySpace
    QuickOffice
    Skype mobile
    Treehugger
    VCAST Tones
    VCAST videos
    VZ Navigator
    WeeWorld

DroidForums Junkie!!
    "If you think you know everything, you can't learn anything." -Robert Morris

If you like my work or I have helped you out and you would like to help me keep the lights on, it is greatly appreciated!!
    http://bit.ly/ro3alQ
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    2 cups & a string
    cool so everybody seems in love with Titanium Backup PRO... so I guess I need to buy that eh?? or can i get by with the free version?
  4. What iDoesn't
    Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    Phone
    Rezound and Bionic
    Premium Member
    The free version can be used to make backups but, the full version is required to freeze apps.

Quote Originally Posted by luckman212 View Post
    cool so everybody seems in love with Titanium Backup PRO... so I guess I need to buy that eh?? or can i get by with the free version?

DroidForums Junkie!!

If you like my work or I have helped you out and you would like to help me keep the lights on, it is greatly appreciated!!
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    2 cups & a string
    ok cool I just bought the pro version. I froze a bunch of apps but they still show up on my app drawer?? do I have to reboot to see those changes? should I be using a different launcher?
  6. What iDoesn't
    Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    Phone
    Rezound and Bionic
    Premium Member
    They usually disappear when frozen. You can try a reboot and see if that helps though, DEF won't hurt anything. Another launcher is up to you. Launcher Pro WILL allow you to hide apps though.

DroidForums Junkie!!

7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    2 cups & a string
    Thanks. Yes after a reboot the frozen apps disappeared. I did wind up switching to Launcher Pro anyway because I liked the features.

Now my biggest problem is trying to remap the "search" button to NOT try and load up Bing. I froze Bing so now hitting search just kind of reloads the shell. I want to make the "long-press" search button pop open a google search in Opera, eg. I tried to install LaunchKey but I can't get it to do anything.
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid w/ 2.2
    thanks for the answers, i ended up selling the citrus off and going back to my moto droid. couldnt give up the keyboard.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links