The ideal new employee will help grow your business, while the wrong choice can be an expensive mistake. Check out our essential list.
- Do pre-screen candidates on the phone.
- Do prepare candidates for the interview. If you want to see samples of their work, let them know in advance.
- Do interview several candidates—at least three if you can.
- Do listen more than you talk.
- Do be realistic—about job responsibilities, experience required, salary and benefits.
- Do stick to the same evaluation process for each candidate.
- Don't make promises of job security.
- Don't hire someone just because you know them.
- Don't be overly impressed by credentials from big corporations or well-known universities.
- Don't be swayed by your first impression. Let the conversation flow. For important jobs, arrange for a second in-person interview with your top prospects before you make your final choice.Jobs For Someone You KnowYou may have already identified someone you'd like to hire—a friend, family member, former colleague, or someone referred to you by someone you trust. It might be someone who wouldn't fit a typical job description, but you know they can do a dynamite job.
Small businesses often grow in the direction of key employees' talents and contacts. It's still important to create a job description. Look at your greatest needs and see which they're best suited for. This can be a collaborative process. A good job description helps both of you understand the scope of the job and what is expected of them.
Outsourcing Your Payroll
When it comes to paycheck processing, tax filings, and yearly reporting, utilizing a full service payroll partner allows small business owners to focus on what matters most to them- growth. If you want to be hands-off with your company's payroll so you can be hands-on running your business, then Intuit Full Service Payroll is for you. Right now, Intuit is offering 50% off Full Service Payroll for 6 months, but the offer is only available by phone (800) 669-8213.
Got questions? A Payroll expert is available to answer your inquiries, and can help guide you through next steps. Call (800) 669-8213 to learn more about this exclusive offer.