DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dock Roots - MIKRADLE Was Born In A Cabinet Shop

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 3
    Hey Mike, What a great way to honor our father. I am sure he is very proud of you and takes great pride in having a very skilled and capable son.

Now, could you stop by and finish my kitchen I have been thinking of working on for the last decade? It shouldn't take much and when I was talking with Norm at the Yankee workshop, he said you were the guy to talk to!

Those are some fine specimens of craftmanship! the best wood work I have ever done (besides pick up an original MIKRADLE) was a bowl I made in wood shop. It has seven, yes seven 1/2 inch layers of real pine and was turned on my junior high school lathe. I spent more time in the stain room than at the work bench though, Boy those were the days! I still have it as a golf ball holder on my nightstand.
    Last edited by cuskit; 04-21-2010 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Logo
  2. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID
    Beautiful work, Mikey! Let me know if you ever want to travel to the great Southwest; my kitchen could use some new cabinets, and I need some floor to ceiling shelves in the third bedroom and new countertops in the bathrooms for starters! Oh, and the BBQ pictures were SO UNFAIR! Now all I want is a steak!
  3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 3
    oh, and can I get your butcher's name?

That's one mean ribeye.
  4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid as of 11/22/09
    Quote Originally Posted by theecigarman View Post
    Hey Mike, What a great way to honor our father. I am sure he is very proud of you and takes great pride in having a very skilled and capable son.

Now, could you stop by and finish my kitchen I have been thinking of working on for the last decade? It shouldn't take much and when I was talking with Norm at the Yankee workshop, he said you were the guy to talk to!

Those are some fine specimens of craftmanship! the best wood work I have ever done (besides pick up an original mikradle) was a bowl I made in wood shop. It has seven, yes seven 1/2 inch layers of real pine and was turned on my junior high school lathe. I spent more time in the stain room than at the work bench though, Boy those were the days! I still have it as a golf ball holder on my nightstand.
    Geoff, Funny you should mention lathe. It's my FAVORITE piece of equipment in my shop! Nothing comes close to the feeling of satisfaction of taking a rough blank of wood and turning it into a piece of art!

Here's a few pictures (man - am I ever on a roll) of the process of turning a few wooden knobs. I do a lot of antique restoration, and a client needed some walnut knobs replicated that had been lost on a dresser over 150 years old. So I turned them, and then "antiqued" them to match those she had. See for yourself. Note the huge piece of walnut I cut the small blocks out of. That's a piece of black walnut that I've had for over 30 years. Little by little it's dwindling down as I cut it up for projects such as this one.

Mikey's "Turn" in Heaven (pun intended):

5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone

Exclamation Mikey's Grill (his home away from the MIKRADLE)!

Quote Originally Posted by AnneDroid View Post
    Beautiful work, Mikey! Let me know if you ever want to travel to the great Southwest; my kitchen could use some new cabinets, and I need some floor to ceiling shelves in the third bedroom and new countertops in the bathrooms for starters! Oh, and the BBQ pictures were SO UNFAIR! Now all I want is a steak!
    AnneDroid - You just know I'm eating up all this flattery! But that's not all I eat. If you want to know more about where Mikey gets the energy to make all those thousands of MIKRADLES, well, look no further than my most favorite and prized possession on my home deck - a huge, 304 stainless steel behometh known in our neighborhood as "Mikey"s Grill"! It has almost 1,000 square inches of grilling area, four hi-output main burners, an infrared searing burner, a rear infrared rotisserie burner, a side burner as well as a built in oven!

Before I go into work each day to build some MIKRADLES, I'll light up my breakfast grill to sizzle some great bacon, sausage or pancakes (sometimes all three)! Then, I'll leave my MIKRADLE fabrication at lunch time to run home quick and grill up a burger or two. And after a long afternoon spraying a few dozen MIKRADLES, I'm very happy to head home to throw on a great ribeye or NY Strip or a small pork roast, maybe some wings or chops and even a rack of ribs! Or some seafood like grilled tuna or scallops and shrimp! Yea man! I know how to enjoy life away from a MIKRADLE! I am very passionate about many things in life - especially the food that comes off my grill!

And just so you know a little more about the man that invented the MIKRADLE - here's a few more pictures (I promise this is it, it's now after midnight and I need to get home, eat dinner and go to bed)! You now know about as much about me as my wife does! mikey

Oh, and theeCigarman - my butchers name is Costco! I buy most of my meats there!

Mikey's Grill - the Best Thing besides a MIKRADLE:
    Last edited by cuskit; 04-20-2010 at 10:25 PM.
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus i515
    Beautiful work, and an impressive shop Mike.

More photos to add to your gallery. Interesting, one SV section chock full of pics, and one section whose clientele can't get enough pics, even those "work in progress" ones.

Those pics of the steaks on the grill were purely EVIL though...
    a little obsessive...
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID
    Mikey: You're KILLING me here! It's 10:30 at night and all I want to do is go raid the refrigerator!
  8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus i515
    Mmmmmm, scallops, BIG ones too!!! Where's the lobster?
    a little obsessive...
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by theecigarman View Post

Those are some fine specimens of craftmanship! the best wood work I have ever done (besides pick up an original MIKRADLE) was a bowl I made in wood shop. It has seven, yes seven 1/2 inch layers of real pine and was turned on my junior high school lathe. I spent more time in the stain room than at the work bench though, Boy those were the days! I still have it as a golf ball holder on my nightstand.
    theecigarman,

I thank you for the considerate words about my Dad! I find many feel the same as I do about their Fathers - it's great to have a very close relationship. My Dad is for sure my Mentor!

I have met and spoken on several occasions with Norm. He has been at many of the trade shows and conventions I periodically attend each year. He is even nicer in person than on tv - one of the most likable guys you'd ever meet! I look forward to our chats every time we meet. I have his autograph on at least a dozen different notes, signs, placards, trade show ID badges, etc.! Man - do I ever make him work for his prestige!

I'd love to see your "golf ball" stand! Some day I'll post some pix of work I did way back in school days. Suffice it to say I've come a long ways from those projects!

And now for something different. A couple more comments from the last day or so from recent MIKRADLE buyers:

* Beautiful product, very communicative seller. Thanks!

* Fantastic!!! Great dock; beautiful work on it!! Thanks for the great comms!!

* It was great doing business with Mike.

* Excellent communication and conscientious seller. GREAT product!

* Really like the MiKradle cuz I don't have to remove phonecase! Thanks!!

* Excellent Dock for Droid. Love it cant wait for the speaker system coming. Thanks!

* A+Transaction!! Bought multiple items. Excellent seller with excellent communication!

* This product is AMAZING. LOVE LOVE LOVE it. I use it daily.

* Better than expected workmanship, works like a charm. :-)

* It's Just Beautiful And Is Very Well Crafted! Superb Communication! A++++

* Pleasure to deal with. Product is flawless. Recommend to Everyone. Thank You.

* Great transaction! Super product! Thank you so much! Very pleasant to deal with!

* Awesome product! Looks great - thanks!

* Mike, your Mikradle is top notch!!! Your customer service is even better!!! )

Last edited by cuskit; 04-21-2010 at 09:12 AM.
  10. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    iPhone 4 16GB
    Wow great work Mikey! I think that when my mom needs new cabinets i should have you make them lol. Until then.......

BBQ AT MIKEY'S HOUSE!!!!!!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links