DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Question about Shiz vs Remix

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here

Question about Shiz vs Remix

Ok so I get that the Shiz is build off source and remix 08 isn't (Cyanogenmod, etc...). I have never seen an explanation go much past source or not, but when you boil it down there must be a difference in performance or else Jrummy and N8 wouldn't go to the trouble. So I'd like to ask A) what are the differences really and B) which do you (JRummy) use?

Thanks in advance, and Happy Memorial day, thank a soldier while you're at it.

3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Droid RAZR
    Ditto. GREAT roms Jrummy, thanks for all of the hard work. However, can someone clarify the difference between the two mentioned above?

Thanks!
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    +1 Please do tell....what is/are the differences? Perhaps a matrix. Yes flashing and wasting a day investigating used to be fun, now all I want is the gratification of making an informed decision
  5. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    DroidForums.net Developer
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    The shiz and the remix are now both built from source (n8 built cyanogenmod from CM's source, and I built the shiz from aosp w/ koush's vendor setup).

The difference between the Shiz and some other stock 2.1 roms out there is that it isn't a modified system dump. It's the real deal, coming straight from google's open source project (but compiled on my desktop). The good thing about building from source is that you can modify code before it is compiled to add extra features and of course it will run very smooth as long as the compile was good.

Building Cyanogenmod from source really has no special benifits quite yet. The build is the same you would get if you download 5.0.7.1+gapps. It was just compiled on another system. The future possible benifit though is that we have cyanogens source available and now can modify it.

Hopefully that explains a little
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by jrummy16 View Post
    The shiz and the remix are now both built from source (n8 built cyanogenmod from CM's source, and I built the shiz from aosp w/ koush's vendor setup).

The difference between the Shiz and some other stock 2.1 roms out there is that it isn't a modified system dump. It's the real deal, coming straight from google's open source project (but compiled on my desktop). The good thing about building from source is that you can modify code before it is compiled to add extra features and of course it will run very smooth as long as the compile was good.

Building Cyanogenmod from source really has no special benifits quite yet. The build is the same you would get if you download 5.0.7.1+gapps. It was just compiled on another system. The future possible benifit though is that we have cyanogens source available and now can modify it.

Excellent, so then I would wager you run the Shiz at the moment on your phone yeah?
  7. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by false_paradigm View Post

Excellent, so then I would wager you run the Shiz at the moment on your phone yeah?
    I have made too many options I don't know what to run on my phone

I'm ussually running the rom I'm working on that day.. so right now.. I'm running the shiz.
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by false_paradigm View Post

I have made too many options I don't know what to run on my phone

I'm ussually running the rom I'm working on that day.. so right now.. I'm running the shiz.
    LOL. Awesome. Now I just need to figure out why my phone suddenly has been so problematic. Now my back up of the first flashing of the shiz is giving me a headache. Considering starting from blank again. Sigh.
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Fascinate
    Shiz overides SetCPU and Remix does not?
    -Matt
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    How can I switch ROMS and keep all my installed applications?
  11. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Reneg4d3 View Post
    How can I switch ROMS and keep all my installed applications?
    use the backup and restore scripts
    or,
    use astro or a similiar app to backup restore your apps
    or,
    don't wipe data

Links