DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Verizon OTA Notification Question...

1. Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    AaronCashClay
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 2 Global

Verizon OTA Notification Question...

First and foremost... redirect my post if my question would fall into an existing thread. I looked but couldn't find the answer to my question.

I'm running Liberty 2.0.1 Froyo and have my Droid2 running so nicely, that the only reason I would willingly want to SBF back to stock is to move up to Offical VZW GB, then re-root, boot strap and move onto Liberty GB. My question then becomes, how can I know when my OTA is available to me, without running Stock? Can I check without SBFing? Someone wiser than I will know for sure, as I suspect I'm screwed until the Droid 2 OTA's are hitting the masses, at which point I might be willing to revert back, just to see... but am I off base on that thinking? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
    Cash Clay
    Droid 2 Global
    CM7
  2. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus LTE
    I'm in the same boat. doesn't look good for us.
    No D2 OTA GB update, ever.

OG Galaxy Nexus / AOKP / Red Elegance
  3. Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    @FillAwful
    Phone
    Droid 2
    ^^That was posted in march. If I'm not mistaken D2 will be getting GB by Q3. The question for me is will TBH pre-root and deodex it causdeas far as I know there is no other way yet to gain root with the OTA GB. Patiently waiting and very jealous of DX'ers and their GB.

Liberated Droid 2 Epic Blue
    DROID 2
    Liberty 2.0.1
    EPIC BLUE
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 2 2.3.20.A955
    Why would VZW restrict the Gingerbread OTA to only certain phones? It makes no sense to me at all.

Microsoft doesn't restrict updates to only certain models and year of different models. So why would VZW do that?

These people need to change their damn attitudes towards us users. We buy into their products. We buy into their unnecessary accessories for our phones. We pay a couple hundred to a few hundred dollars to buy a phone from them. We spend thousands upon thousands of dollars each year for their plans and services. We give and give and we only receive barely a little to nothing back for being such a money-throwing, loyal customer.

I still have $404.84 unaccounted for that VZW blatantly tells me they never received, yet it's posted on my statements that they took the money. Plus $195.04. That's a few cents shy of $600 unaccounted for the past 3 months yet they nag me to pay up.

I sure am getting sick of this B.S. and getting shafted left to right. The least someone could do is offer a little goody to us D2 users so we can join the big, growing crowd of new GB users.
    Funny how some people complain more than my 2 year old daughter does.
  5. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Twitter
    shunyata31
    Phone
    Droid 2
    I know, it does suck. Thank god though we have the gb rooted leak (monster update file) . At least we can get on liberty gb (0.7 is out for d2 now. Dl as we speak)

Droid 2 liberated gingerbread v0.5
    Ldopa
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus LTE
    FillTheVoid: "D2 will be getting GB by Q3."

This is based on unverified information that was pulled a little after it was posted.
    Hope it's correct though.

TheSwaggeR: Why would VZW restrict the Gingerbread OTA to only certain phones?

A T-Mobile insider said this: Samsung has NOT allowed us to push the update OTA for 2.2 because they feel it will decrease the value of the upcoming Vibrant4G +.

Also unconfirmed. We may never know what goes on behind the scene in these deals between carrier/ Manufacturer.

7. Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    AaronCashClay
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 2 Global
    I have kind of taken a step back and thought about my temptation to jump into GB early, and I reallized that it wouldn't improve how happy I am with my device "all that much" and could possible even make using my Droid a bit tedious. I mean, I see everyone testing these nightlies and reporting back bugs as they go and while I do understand the value of such a role... I don't know if I have the time to deal with my phone not being fully functional like that. I mean, not to sound ungreatful to the dev teams that provide truly inspired, fantastic work, but I need my phone to be as stable as possible. Now, I have been involved in many beta testing scenarios when I had my Eris and have given plenty of feedback in the past and contributed as much as possible, but I just feel like this time around... time may actually be on my side. If I just wait till the official ota, reroot and catch up to the dev community after the fact... most of those bugs will have already been addressed by those with the time to give quality feedback, thereby creating ROMs much more stable and worth using. Does that make sense?

Sent from my Liberated CashDroid2
    Cash Clay
    Droid 2 Global
    CM7
  8. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Twitter
    shunyata31
    Phone
    Droid 2
    To be honest the bugs on liberty gb are minimal. My phone functions great. Its faster, smoother and looks great. The bugs i experience are minimal and i report them for the sake of the devs, to fine tune the rom. It really is quite stable and i didn't think gb would bring that much difference but it does. I would totally go for it. I'm so glad I did

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums
    Ldopa
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus LTE
    CashClay: Agree totally. Like you, I've spent countless hours testing and
    tweaking every possible variable. I now need to balance that
    with work and family.
    And it seems like these iterations of Android are evolutionary,
    not revolutionary. So it doesn't hurt to step off the bleeding edge.

10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 2 2.3.20.A955
    The bugs issue are definitely minimal. It is stable enough, off of the official GB OTA from the DX, to function as it should. Everything you asked for, balancing between work, friends, and family is nothing to worry about. The Customizer allows you to change up a lot of stuff between Blur and AOSP. So, if one thing isn't working right just yet then switch to Blur or AOSP, whichever you chose first. You'll be pleased at the end result, trust me.
    Funny how some people complain more than my 2 year old daughter does.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links