DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Using the Spectrum 2 on GSM Networks?

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Phone
    LG Spectrum 2
    Yea, they are unlocked for use as a global phone but they are locked for use on CDMA so you can't go to cricket or some other company but you can use t-mobile it any other sim based network.
  2. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola v195
    Okay, now you got me excited. I didn't see the $30/mo unlimited data plan; I looked right over it. Now that I see it, it's got me thinking. 100 minutes of talk really isn't that much. And unlimited is a lot of data, even at 3G. What if there was some way to route voice calls over the data network? Then it wouldn't matter how many minutes you had! Yeah, someone's already thought of that. So I'm torn between paying $30/mo for 100 minutes (which probably wouldn't be enough on its own), or $60/mo for 500 minutes (which would definitely cover my needs). Nice thing about the first one is that it's month-to-month, so if for some reason it doesn't work out, I can just jump up to the 500 plan (which, unfortunately, would require a contract).

I know that had nothing to do with the Spectrum 2, but still, I think it's neat.
    Last edited by PaneInTheGlass; 03-10-2013 at 08:01 AM.
  3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Phone
    LG Spectrum 2
    I just buy a one day pass or get a month one I know I'm going on a trip and will need to tether my computer or spend a lot of boring hours in a car. I still have my verizon plan so that I can keep my number but I don't use that much data anymore so I just have the cheapest plan 2GB plan with Verizon.
  4. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola v195
    I get that, I was just thinking out loud. In my case, I'm looking to use T-Mo exclusively, so it's worthwhile to consider my options. Unfortunately, I don't really like like any of T-Mo's phones, which is why I decided to venture into the dark and treacherous realm of BYOD. I think right now I have it down to the Spectrum 2 or the Sony Xperia ZL.

As far as the Spectrum goes, I took another look at it and realized it cannot use 1700/2100 MHz UMTS. Neither can I find any reliable info on T-Mo's refarming efforts. So that's a bit of a dark horse. I'd hate to pick it up only to be limited to 2G. Admittedly, I'm usually using wi-fi anyway, but still.
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Phone
    LG Spectrum 2
    I think your best bet is to get a nexus 4 as it will probably be cheaper than an off contract spectrum plus it is probably a better phone in the end and you know it will work with 4G. Not that the spectrum isn't a great phone but if you haven't bought one yet and your intent is to use it on a GSM network your better off looking at some other phones, because I believe it does work on 3G but you won't be ably to utilize the 4G network on T-Mobile, I haven't really had time to fully test it in a while and I can't remember if I had issues with 3G.
  6. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola v195
    Yeah, I know. I'm just really attached to things like expandable memory, removable batteries, and dedicated capacitive buttons. I think these are very useful features, and I hate to see them go. Maybe if I put my money toward a phone that has them, manufacturer's will get the drift and start offering these features again. And maybe if I stop attending church, the Pope will give up Catholicism.

Yes, I know, the S III. No easy way to say it, it's just...not my style. I really do like the Spectrum as a phone, but I think you're right in that I'd be better off looking elsewhere.
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Phone
    LG Spectrum 2
    People want sleekness now in their phones and unfortunately we have to sacrifice some things to get that but I understand the want. The onscreen buttons aren't to bad and if you start using cloud services you won't even notice the lack of storage, 16GB should be enough for most things if you keep all your music on Google music and take advantage of some of the dropbox offers (I have 75GB I have never played for) you can get around the restrictions.
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    LG Spectrum 2

Using the Spectrum 2 on GSM (Jelly Bean)?

Hi, micrors4
    I have to thank you first, for the information that LG Spectrume 2 is not blocking domestic GSM carriers. O
    Other sites only said iPhone 5, HTC 8X and HTC DNA are not blocking domestic GSM carriers.
    However, these phones are either expensive, small screen, non-removable bettery or missing SD card slot.

I brought the Spectrume 2 after reading your post.

I do have two questions.
    I saw there is JB update for LG Spectrume 2 now.
    Could you let me know does Jelly Bean (JB) blocks domestic GSM carriers (T-mobile/ATT)?

and
    any problem after JB update?

many thanks

Quote Originally Posted by micrors4 View Post
    I know this phone is supposed to be unlocked, but has anyone tried it on T-Mobile because I got a SIM card to take advantage of T-Mobile's cheap $30 unlimited data plan.
    Last edited by dhungman; 06-21-2013 at 12:41 PM.
  9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    I have the lg spectrum 2 and I'm using a tmobile sims card...I have unlimited talk text and web and mine been running 4g speed.. .it hasn't dropped to 3g or 2g
  10. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    I'm using an lg spectrum 2 phone with a tmobile sims card and I have the jb updated my phone is working just fine but I'm waiting for the xperia z to come out
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links