I just got my revo and the first order of business was to remove any traces of Bing. So I quickly downloaded Titanium and a couple of backups and uninstalls later, I was like "Heck yea no more bing!" I didnt think about LG mapping the search button to open Bing from home.apk.
So here is a fix if you are like me and want to get rid of Bing. It remaps your search button to bring up your phone instead of searching. I really only wanted to change it for home.apk but I am still working on that part.
Using root explorer (can also use ADB and pull the file but that is more involved ... if you really want to know the method let me know and I will post it too though)
1. If you havent already rooted your phone DO IT , download superuser, download root explorer (it does cost money but I use it quite a bit so it is worth it)
2. Open Root Explorer
3. Navigate to /system/usr/keylayout
4. Switch to mount R/W
5. Press and hold "touch_keypad.kl" until menu pops up
6. Select Open in Text Editor
7. For key 217, delete "SEARCH" and type "CALL"
watch out for the stupid autoformat period it likes to put in there
8. It will pop up with a warning about saving (dont worry it backs it up)
9. Select Yes
10. Reboot your phone
Now when you touch the search button it brings up your phone. I actaully like it most of the time as an added convenience. It is a phone after all. Funny how most phones dont have phone buttons anymore.
If anyone knows how to map buttons at just the home screen for home.apk let me know.
YAY NO MORE BING!