I've happily used a dumb LG Env2 for couple years and decided to try a smart phone. Liked Verizon so gave Moto Droid a try but ended up returning it. Liked LG so got the Ally on May 27th...
- Physically nicer than Moto but not leading edge cool
- Slide-out keyboard is nice but landscape virtual is fine
- Physical Phone buttons are nice -- one press to answer; gloves ok
- Phone call quality much better than my old Moto
- Not a single dropped call or cheek hangup
- Not quite as snappy and responsive as Moto
- Weak LG "skin" likely to delay system updates
- Awkward physical Home and Menu buttons
- Exchange calendar sync does not work (fine w/Moto)
- One minute LED notification isn't good enough
- Battery life only slightly better than Moto
- Annoying plastic cover over micro-USB
- "Unknown artist" using WMA files (fine w/Moto)
- 4x2 Weather widget with unused bottom row?!
Conclusion: Chris Ziegler at Engadget nailed it. While likeable, unless Froyo is pushed soon it's probably going to be returned. With the $30 data plan requirement you might as well go high-end Android and get everything you're paying for. Back to the waiting room for me.