DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Do render effect settings save battery on a Droid (LCD)?

  1. Droid Ninja
    patmw123's Avatar
    Member #
    17526
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    1,665
    Liked
    81 times
    Phone
    Moto X
    #1

    Do render effect settings save battery on a Droid (LCD)?

    I'm curious as to if the render effect adjustments on CM 6.1 release candidates have any effect on battery life for the droid. I have heard different things (only saves battery on amoled and not lcd) and am just curious about whether the calibrated (n1) setting or any setting for that matter could potentially save battery.
  2.  
     
     
     
  3. Super Moderator
    furbearingmammal's Avatar
    Member #
    78594
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wind blows out of the west.
    Posts
    10,371
    Liked
    32 times
    Twitter
    @FurryVarmint
    Premium Member
    #2
    I remember reading a test done once that said the red could save some battery life, but I personally don't think it was enough to put up with it looking that fugly.
  4. Droid Ninja
    patmw123's Avatar
    Member #
    17526
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    1,665
    Liked
    81 times
    Phone
    Moto X
    #3
    Any ideas on using the calibrated (n1) setting? I assume it's tweaked for the nexus one's amoled but I'm curious if it has any effect on battery.
  5. Super Moderator
    furbearingmammal's Avatar
    Member #
    78594
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wind blows out of the west.
    Posts
    10,371
    Liked
    32 times
    Twitter
    @FurryVarmint
    Premium Member
    #4
    Not a one. If I want to save juice I clock my Droid down from 1.2GHz.
  6. Droid Ninja
    patmw123's Avatar
    Member #
    17526
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    1,665
    Liked
    81 times
    Phone
    Moto X
    #5
    Yeah, it seems to have turned down the backlight a decent amount and colors are still accurate. Seems similar to a calibrated hd tv. I can't really tell with the effect on battery life. Im just assuming the n1 screen is most beneficial of the calibrated settings but am curious of the n1 calibrated setting's effect on the droid's lcd.
  7. Super Moderator
    furbearingmammal's Avatar
    Member #
    78594
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wind blows out of the west.
    Posts
    10,371
    Liked
    32 times
    Twitter
    @FurryVarmint
    Premium Member
    #6
    I just tried that and it seemed to cast a slight amber hue over everything. I don't know if it helps any, but it certainly might make staring at the screen a little easier on the eyes after an extended period of time.
  8. ty_
    ty_ is offline
    Senior Droid
    ty_'s Avatar
    Member #
    87020
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    98
    Phone
    Dr0id.
    #7
    the red is nice for in the dark because it stimulates the pupils.

    so even when its the middle of the night and the dimmest setting is too bright the red is much more easier on the eyes.

  9. Senior Droid
    Sparkimus's Avatar
    Member #
    114138
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Calhoun, GA
    Posts
    190
    Liked
    2 times
    Twitter
    Sparkimus
    Phone
    Moto Droid RAZR MAXX
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by ty_ View Post
    the red is nice for in the dark because it stimulates the pupils.

    so even when its the middle of the night and the dimmest setting is too bright the red is much more easier on the eyes.

    Agreed.

    Sent from my Droid
  10. Droid Ninja
    wingdo's Avatar
    Member #
    38467
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,037
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by patmw123 View Post
    I'm curious as to if the render effect adjustments on CM 6.1 release candidates have any effect on battery life for the droid. I have heard different things (only saves battery on amoled and not lcd) and am just curious about whether the calibrated (n1) setting or any setting for that matter could potentially save battery.
    I cannot find the thread at the moment (OK, I didn't look too hard), but what you heard is correct. The render effects only affect the battery on amoled screens. The red LEDs consume the least power and the blue ones consume the most. So using the red effect may save you a little bit of battery drain. Since LCDs work off of a backlight as opposed to LEDs there is no battery savings from using any color scheme.

    Galaxy S4: Stock 4.2.2
    Transformer Infinity TF700: Rooted / CromiX 4.5 (4.2.1)

    D1 -> POS ThunderBolt -> Bionic -> RAZR MAXX -> Galaxy S4
  11. Droid Ninja
    patmw123's Avatar
    Member #
    17526
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    1,665
    Liked
    81 times
    Phone
    Moto X
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by wingdo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by patmw123 View Post
    I'm curious as to if the render effect adjustments on CM 6.1 release candidates have any effect on battery life for the droid. I have heard different things (only saves battery on amoled and not lcd) and am just curious about whether the calibrated (n1) setting or any setting for that matter could potentially save battery.
    I cannot find the thread at the moment (OK, I didn't look too hard), but what you heard is correct. The render effects only affect the battery on amoled screens. The red LEDs consume the least power and the blue ones consume the most. So using the red effect may save you a little bit of battery drain. Since LCDs work off of a backlight as opposed to LEDs there is no battery savings from using any color scheme.
    There's a good chance we saw the same thread...maybe on androidforums or nexusoneforums...

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Droid 2 rooting, effect on battery life, any?
    By want a droid in forum Motorola Droid 2 Development
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-14-2010, 03:25 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-29-2010, 04:04 PM
  3. Widgets and Launchers - Battery Effect?
    By BigMcGuire in forum Android General Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-29-2010, 01:03 PM
  4. How badly does the number of widgets used effect the battery?
    By Aluminum21 in forum Android General Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-24-2009, 06:22 PM
  5. 3D Droid render wallpapers, feel free to use...
    By nadafinga in forum Android Themes
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-29-2009, 01:14 PM

Search tags for this page

calibrated n1

,
calibrated n1 render effect
,

cm7 render effect

,

cyanogenmod render effect

,
cyanogenmod render effect battery
,
render effect
,

render effect android

,

render effect cm7

,
render effect cyanogenmod
,
render effect save battery
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.
Find us on Google+