DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ClockworkMod Recovery and 32GB Cards

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here

ClockworkMod Recovery and 32GB Cards

Since updating to a new 32GB microSD card in my Droid, I have had nothing but problems with ClockworkMod Recovery. If I try to back up my Rom from Rom Manager, the Droid reboots into recovery and gives me mount errors and then reboots to recovery before freezing and then completely rebooting the phone. If I just boot into recovery, the phone usually freezes and then reboots as I am navigating through recovery. This usually requires a battery pull a couple of times and the several reboots of recovery before I can do what I need.

I have flashed alternate recovery and then back to Clockwork and this helped slightly (my backups now have the date in the file name instead of just 1970-01-01). I read that the card may need to be reformatted, so I formatted the card and put all my data back on the card. This has not fixed anything. I still get the same errors. I do not have any issues with the card and have scanned it for errors and all seems fine with the card. What else could be causing this?
  2. Super Moderator/RS
    Member #
    Liked
    40 times
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Premium Member
    You are not the first to have issues after changing to a 32 GB SD card. Unfortunately, there does not seem to be a reason why some have issues while others do not.

I suggest reinserting your original SD card restoring a good backup. Then reformat the new card preferably by using a micro SD card reader and not your phone.

Hope this is helpful. Let us know how your resolve.

Mike
    Forgive your enemies it messes with their minds!
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    What a nightmare! I have a 32GB card in the mail for my DX. I had no idea there were so many known issues. Please let us know if you are able to find a way to get your card working like it should!
  4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    61 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by PearlMikeJam View Post
    Since updating to a new 32GB microSD card in my Droid, I have had nothing but problems with ClockworkMod Recovery. If I try to back up my Rom from Rom Manager, the Droid reboots into recovery and gives me mount errors and then reboots to recovery before freezing and then completely rebooting the phone. If I just boot into recovery, the phone usually freezes and then reboots as I am navigating through recovery. This usually requires a battery pull a couple of times and the several reboots of recovery before I can do what I need.

I have flashed alternate recovery and then back to Clockwork and this helped slightly (my backups now have the date in the file name instead of just 1970-01-01). I read that the card may need to be reformatted, so I formatted the card and put all my data back on the card. This has not fixed anything. I still get the same errors. I do not have any issues with the card and have scanned it for errors and all seems fine with the card. What else could be causing this?
    I have seen these issues with ClockworkMod even with the Verizon installed 16gig SD card on a couple newer Droid1's. Seems the Droid1 and ClockworkMod are particular about the SD card installed. Never had these issues on my older Droid1.
    My first smartphone was a Droid 1. Then I found the Nexus... Galaxy Nexus LTE unlocked & rooted...
    AOKP JB build ROM, IMO JB exp Kernel,
    Root Apps - Titanium Backup, Root Explorer, SetCPU, ROM Toolbox, Rom Mangler/ClockworkMod, CWMR Touch, Lightflow, SD Maid, Nova Launcher
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by captdroid View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PearlMikeJam View Post

I have seen these issues with ClockworkMod even with the Verizon installed 16gig SD card on a couple newer Droid1's. Seems the Droid1 and ClockworkMod are particular about the SD card installed. Never had these issues on my older Droid1.
    I will report back tonight after I give this a try. I reformatted with the card in my phone (through Windows), but will try in a card reader. I got my Droid a little less than a year ago and have not experienced some of the other issues newer models have. I hope another format works.
  6. Developer Relations
    Member #
    Liked
    361 times
    Twitter
    DroidForums
    Phone
    [MDK] S4
    Premium Member
    I had problems with CW and SPR with my 32GB - I ended up returning the card, it wasn't worth the trouble

Sent from my Original Droid using the Exclusive Droid Forums App (Available Free in the Market)

7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Yeah, I have those same issues with my 32GB card. It's 100% a problem with ClockworkMod Recovery. The larger card takes longer to check and mount, and it just doesn't wait long enough. Most of the time I am not able to command installs and backups from ROM Manager, but if I reboot into recovery manually (holding X) it works fine. Totally worth it for 2x the storage.
    Cool CM Tricks
    custom_backup_list.txt - make a list of files in /system that will survive a nightly install (ringtones, notifications, system apps, wallpapers, whatever)
    in Terminal Emulator, set this as your shell command: "/system/xbin/su -c /system/xbin/bash". You get all the features of bash, root access, and you can still use the initial command field for whatever you want (default is adding /data/local/bin to your path)
  8. Super Moderator
    Member #
    So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wind blows out of the west.
    Liked
    32 times
    Twitter
    @FurryVarmint
    Premium Member
    What class card? If it's over what the Droid is designed to handle it could be a compatibility issue, and if it's slower then it's not keeping up with the demands.
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by Se7enLC View Post
    Yeah, I have those same issues with my 32GB card. It's 100% a problem with ClockworkMod Recovery. The larger card takes longer to check and mount, and it just doesn't wait long enough. Most of the time I am not able to command installs and backups from ROM Manager, but if I reboot into recovery manually (holding X) it works fine. Totally worth it for 2x the storage.
    I have issues in recovery where it will freeze and reboot the phone. It takes a few reboots or battery pulls before recovery works without issue, but never from RM.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by furbearingmammal View Post
    What class card? If it's over what the Droid is designed to handle it could be a compatibility issue, and if it's slower then it's not keeping up with the demands.
    Its a class 2 just like the original card in the Droid.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links