DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Cyanogenmod Nightlies

1. Premium Member
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Premium Member
    157 running like a champ. Down loaded 159 and will install later. As far as wiping ...yes every time. It takes only minutes to set back up.

Sent from my Droid
  2. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by dodgersrgood View Post
    when you install it without wiping you dont need to install the gapps do u ?
    YES.

gapps install to /system, so if you re-install, you will need to re-install gapps as well (/system always gets wiped on a rom install). You don't need to upgrade gapps, but you may as well.
    Cool CM Tricks
    custom_backup_list.txt - make a list of files in /system that will survive a nightly install (ringtones, notifications, system apps, wallpapers, whatever)
    in Terminal Emulator, set this as your shell command: "/system/xbin/su -c /system/xbin/bash". You get all the features of bash, root access, and you can still use the initial command field for whatever you want (default is adding /data/local/bin to your path)
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    moto droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Se7enLC View Post
    YES.

gapps install to /system, so if you re-install, you will need to re-install gapps as well (/system always gets wiped on a rom install). You don't need to upgrade gapps, but you may as well.
    I didn't install it and everything is working fine
  4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    YES.

I didn't install it and everything is working fine
    I love how being wrong always ends up with me learning something new and interesting. :-)

I know it formats /system when it installs, because my custom ringtones, notifications, and manually installed apps get wiped out. So I looked at the installer script (updater-script in the zip file)

It starts by extracting and running backuptool.sh, a script that I wasn't aware of until just now. That tool will make a backup copy of certain system apps into tmp, and re-install them into /system automatically (which includes the google apps). It also looks in /etc/custom_backup_list.txt to find apps.

This is actually a really cool discovery, I'm not gonna lie. I think I'm going to be able to modify that custom backup list to make CM hang onto my ringtones and WaveSecure for me!
    Last edited by Se7enLC; 10-26-2010 at 08:37 AM.
    Cool CM Tricks
    custom_backup_list.txt - make a list of files in /system that will survive a nightly install (ringtones, notifications, system apps, wallpapers, whatever)
    in Terminal Emulator, set this as your shell command: "/system/xbin/su -c /system/xbin/bash". You get all the features of bash, root access, and you can still use the initial command field for whatever you want (default is adding /data/local/bin to your path)
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Quote Originally Posted by furbearingmammal View Post
    Nope, though it's not a bad idea to make sure you have the latest version.
    I've always reflashed gapps after the nightly update. Doesn't flashing clean out the gapps (like maps and gmail) which are in /system?

And my answer appeared while I was typing this. !!

Galaxy S4: Stock 4.2.2
    Transformer Infinity TF700: Rooted / CromiX 4.5 (4.2.1)

D1 -> POS ThunderBolt -> Bionic -> RAZR MAXX -> Galaxy S4
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    r00ted D1

I love how being wrong always ends up with me learning something new and interesting. :-)

I know it formats /system when it installs, because my custom ringtones, notifications, and manually installed apps get wiped out. So I looked at the installer script (updater-script in the zip file)

It starts by extracting and running backuptool.sh, a script that I wasn't aware of until just now. That tool will make a backup copy of certain system apps into tmp, and re-install them into /system automatically (which includes the google apps). It also looks in /etc/custom_backup_list.txt to find apps.

This is actually a really cool discovery, I'm not gonna lie. I think I'm going to be able to modify that custom backup list to make CM hang onto my ringtones and WaveSecure for me!
    Thanks for pointing that out. I thought I was going insane because I know I didnt install gapps and yet they were there, lol. If you do edit the script, would you mind dropping a hint on how to do it? Or is it very simple?

Quote Originally Posted by Cleskers View Post
    157 running like a champ. Down loaded 159 and will install later. As far as wiping ...yes every time. It takes only minutes to set back up.

Sent from my Droid
    159 fixed camcorder zoom issue. Just FYI
    Thunderbolt r00ted
    Transformer r00ted
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by droidkevlar View Post
    Thanks for pointing that out. I thought I was going insane because I know I didnt install gapps and yet they were there, lol. If you do edit the script, would you mind dropping a hint on how to do it? Or is it very simple?
    It's very simple. Just create a file named /etc/custom_backup_list.txt and edit it to contain the filenames of things that you want to survive an install. The filenames are relative to the root of the system partition, so leave off "/system"

For example, my /etc/custom_backup_list.txt now looks like this:
    Code:
    app/com.wsandroid.apk
    media/audio/notifications/Kimmunicator.ogg
    media/audio/ringtones/Kiddo.ogg
    media/audio/notifications/Droid.ogg
    xbin/sysrw
    xbin/sysro
    I haven't tested it, yet, but I'm 99.9% sure this will work exactly as advertised.
    Cool CM Tricks
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    Just went from 6.0 to 159... everything is working great so far. LOOOOOOVE that the widgets are all together now!
  9. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid 1
    Quote Originally Posted by loudaccord View Post
    Just went from 6.0 to 159... everything is working great so far. LOOOOOOVE that the widgets are all together now!
    Same here, really like all the extras!

I'm new to ROM-switching often, you might say I'm a "Nightlies Newbie"

Noticed one issue though... Voice Search crashes when I press the mic button on the virtual keyboard. Any help for that? (I've ~gotta~ have voice input for text messaging!)

edit: nevermind^^^... I went to Market, searched "voice" and Voice Search 2.0.1 showed up as not installed, even tho it was!... now all is good.
    Last edited by csoga; 10-26-2010 at 10:18 AM.
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Running 159 nightly. Too many apps are running in the background eventhough I never used them. They restart even after killing them. Other than that it is perfect.
Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast

Links