DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Always out of space

1. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    I take it back, this doesn't work at all. After rebooting, all my apps show up as unknown icons. sd-ext doesn't properly mount on boot, but 05mountsd does mount it when I run it. The apps still don't become available.

EDIT: Got it working again. Problems began when I installed the firefox apk. Maybe there's some size limit on how large an app can be? Or maybe it was the fact that the app crashed the phone and required a battery pull to get it to come back up?
    Last edited by Se7enLC; 10-12-2010 at 08:05 AM.
    Cool CM Tricks
    custom_backup_list.txt - make a list of files in /system that will survive a nightly install (ringtones, notifications, system apps, wallpapers, whatever)
    in Terminal Emulator, set this as your shell command: "/system/xbin/su -c /system/xbin/bash". You get all the features of bash, root access, and you can still use the initial command field for whatever you want (default is adding /data/local/bin to your path)
  2. Super Moderator
    Member #
    So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wind blows out of the west.
    Liked
    32 times
    Twitter
    @FurryVarmint
    Premium Member
    The ROM has to support it, the kernel has to support it, and even then you have to enable it and sometimes edit/create files to get it to work.

Oh, and Dustpuppy used to be one of my favorite web comic characters.
  3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Nevermind, it's still having some issues. While it's running, it seems to be fine, but if I hard-power off or pull the battery, when it boots back up it first won't get past the boot animation until I pull the battery, then it thinks none of the applications are installed. After a few more reboots it seems to recover. Not sure what the issue is, but next time it happens I will run aLogCat and see if there's any useful logs (if I can run the app, that is)
    Cool CM Tricks
    custom_backup_list.txt - make a list of files in /system that will survive a nightly install (ringtones, notifications, system apps, wallpapers, whatever)
    in Terminal Emulator, set this as your shell command: "/system/xbin/su -c /system/xbin/bash". You get all the features of bash, root access, and you can still use the initial command field for whatever you want (default is adding /data/local/bin to your path)
  4. Banned
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Se7enLC View Post
    Nevermind, it's still having some issues. While it's running, it seems to be fine, but if I hard-power off or pull the battery, when it boots back up it first won't get past the boot animation until I pull the battery, then it thinks none of the applications are installed. After a few more reboots it seems to recover. Not sure what the issue is, but next time it happens I will run aLogCat and see if there's any useful logs (if I can run the app, that is)
    That's because you didn't safely unmount the sd-ext partition (it happens on occasion by itself and always if you forcefully reboot it with a battery pull), but a simple reboot will fix this by letting the phone properly unmount the partition before power cycling.
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBarrier View Post
    That's because you didn't safely unmount the sd-ext partition (it happens on occasion by itself and always if you forcefully reboot it with a battery pull), but a simple reboot will fix this by letting the phone properly unmount the partition before power cycling.
    I'm not sure it's as simple as that. I had everything working properly for a few days, then I did a power-off (from the hold-power-button menu). When I turned it back on, /sd-ext didn't mount. When I rebooted, /sd-ext mounted but the apps were still all screwed up. The third reboot ended up with a lot of force-closes on acore, requiring a battery pull. Next reboot, /sd-ext didn't mount, etc.

Once /sd-ext is mounted, is there maybe a way to force it to reload the application information?
    Cool CM Tricks
  6. Banned
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    It kind of is as simple as that, it's actually a known issue with this method (since it is unofficial and all), if the sd-ext partition doesn't unmount properly before a power cycle; then it does a partition check on sd-ext on next reboot. This delays the partition mounting and your phone proceeds in it's boot up sequence ignoring the data in /sd-ext/data/app/ (and /sd-ext/data/data/ if you have that bind option turned on). And since your phone thinks /data/app/ is actually in internal memory, then it doesn't bother reloading applications from there once booted up, so the only way around it is to reboot.
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    It kind of is as simple as that, it's actually a known issue with this method (since it is unofficial and all), if the sd-ext partition doesn't unmount properly before a power cycle; then it does a partition check on sd-ext on next reboot. This delays the partition mounting and your phone proceeds in it's boot up sequence ignoring the data in /sd-ext/data/app/ (and /sd-ext/data/data/ if you have that bind option turned on). And since your phone thinks /data/app/ is actually in internal memory, then it doesn't bother reloading applications from there once booted up, so the only way around it is to reboot.
    My point is that rebooting doesn't seem to fix anything - it keeps coming up with no applications until I restore to a backup, no matter how many times I reboot. Even if it does successfully mount the /sd-ext partition on boot (perhaps it is being mounted too late, but no amount of rebooting seems to make it mount again quick enough, if that is the case).

I'm going to investigate the issue further and see if there's a particular situation that triggers it. I believe that it's whenever I take the battery out. Even if I shut the phone off first, that first boot after a battery swap tends to make things blow up.
    Cool CM Tricks
  8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Se7enLC View Post
    My point is that rebooting doesn't seem to fix anything - it keeps coming up with no applications until I restore to a backup, no matter how many times I reboot. Even if it does successfully mount the /sd-ext partition on boot (perhaps it is being mounted too late, but no amount of rebooting seems to make it mount again quick enough, if that is the case).

I'm going to investigate the issue further and see if there's a particular situation that triggers it. I believe that it's whenever I take the battery out. Even if I shut the phone off first, that first boot after a battery swap tends to make things blow up.
    Looks like that triggers it pretty reliably. Once it fails to mount ONCE, it gives up on all the applications it thought were installed and doesn't look for them again, even if it mounts fine on future reboots. I think the "fix" is to make sure that it is not allowed to finish booting if it cannot mount /sd-ext - since if it DOES finish booting, it corrupts the installed packages database and can't be recovered without a restore.

I'm going to have to debug this using ADB - aLogcat doesn't give me a long enough scrollback. On a failed boot, There are so many "Application not found" messages that the actual sd-ext mounting error scrolls off the end and can't be found. I may try to modify the script to log to a file, but I don't believe that any files are writeable at the time the script is run (certainly not the SD card)
    Manually deleting packages.xml from the "real" /data partition STARTED to address the problem. Other apps showed up, but most of them were force-closing left and right, probably due to other differences in the /data/system and other directories.
    Cool CM Tricks
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Huzzah! I got it working reliably!

I used the method found in this posting on xda as inspiration. I added the cm.filesystem.ready property to the end of the 05mountsd script and modified init.rc to delay sysinit until that property was true. I pulled the battery to corrupt the sd-ext filesystem, but the bootup completed fsck before allowing sysinit, preventing the problems I mentioned earlier.

xda-developers - View Single Post - [Script][A2SD] Darktremor Apps2SD 2.7.5.2 (10/03/2010)

I may package up this modification into an easily-installable .zip file, or I may just see if it can get included in the next CM release.
    Cool CM Tricks
  10. Banned
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Nice!

I'll probably need your help now to get this done, haha!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links