DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Ongoing ROM Manager Issue

  1. Super Moderator
    Vulcan1600's Avatar
    Member #
    7183
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    5,569
    Liked
    245 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3
    Premium Member
    #1

    Ongoing ROM Manager Issue

    This is something that has happened for quite a while now, in fact ever since I threw $5 on the paid ROM Manager.

    I decided to get Sapphire 1.0 using RM a couple of days ago. I flashed CW and did a backup of my current ROM in case something happened, and installed the Sapphire and a theme. When I went to Flash Alternate Recovery, I went back into Reboot into Recovery....I didn't have CW or SPRecovery. Just a boot loop, then the phone eventually just turned on and was back to using my phone. I tried to flash alternate recovery 4x and same result. Finally, I flashed CW, power cycled the phone, came back to ROM Manager, flashed Alternate Recovery again 2x, power cycled the phone, then went into recovery mode and finally had SPRecovery.

    Today I decided to try a new theme on Sapphire, and the exact same thing happened. Thankfully I knew how to resolve the issue. I'm just amazed that for a premium program that this ongoing issue with flashing back and forth isn't fixed. Has anyone else had this problem?
    Thank you to all who have served or are serving our great country. You're always in my thoughts and prayers.

    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. - Ronald Reagan
    --------

  2.  
     
     
     
  3. Droid
    richhowe's Avatar
    Member #
    44130
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    42
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    #2
    Happens to me too. Seems to work fine until an update of ROM Manger is released and then recovery breaks again. The good news is that I figured out how to tell when re-flashing will finally work. When you can flash back and forth relativley quickly, you have a good recovery. If it takes a while to flash back and forth then you'll just boot back into your ROM. Once it flashes back and forth quickly between recoveries, you know you've re-flashed enough times and you should be able to boot into recovery.
  4. Super Moderator
    Corinacakes's Avatar
    Member #
    5472
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    5,033
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    DrOiD
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulcan1600Rider View Post
    This is something that has happened for quite a while now, in fact ever since I threw $5 on the paid ROM Manager.

    I decided to get Sapphire 1.0 using RM a couple of days ago. I flashed CW and did a backup of my current ROM in case something happened, and installed the Sapphire and a theme. When I went to Flash Alternate Recovery, I went back into Reboot into Recovery....I didn't have CW or SPRecovery. Just a boot loop, then the phone eventually just turned on and was back to using my phone. I tried to flash alternate recovery 4x and same result. Finally, I flashed CW, power cycled the phone, came back to ROM Manager, flashed Alternate Recovery again 2x, power cycled the phone, then went into recovery mode and finally had SPRecovery.

    Today I decided to try a new theme on Sapphire, and the exact same thing happened. Thankfully I knew how to resolve the issue. I'm just amazed that for a premium program that this ongoing issue with flashing back and forth isn't fixed. Has anyone else had this problem?
    Rom Manager have problems? Pleaseeeeeee!!!
    *~*Corinacakes*~*

    -Keep your political and religious views off this forum.
    -We are here to have fun and learn, so please try and keep it that way for everyone!




    If you like my work and would like to help get my nails done I'd love it!
  5. Developer
    tcrews's Avatar
    Member #
    31907
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Lexington, SC
    Posts
    1,353
    Liked
    64 times
    Twitter
    SnkBitten
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 4
    DroidForums.net Developer
    Premium Member
    #4
    Here's the trick. If it takes longer than 2-3 seconds to flash ClockworkMod Recovery it didn't take. Granted the first time will take a while (while it downloads clockworkmod recovery) but after the first time I always flash again immediately to see if it is 2-3 seconds or about 10 seconds to get a "success" popup. If it's longer than 2-3 seconds it did not take. Try "Clear Download Cache" from it's menus and initiate a re-download of ClockworkMod Recovery. If I try a few times and it never takes I then flash the alternate recovery once and go back and flash clockworkmod recovery again.

    I have never had a problem with ClockworkMod Recovery. I've flashed ROMs 3-4 times a week (while building/testing my own compiles) and using others and have never had an issue. I can tell when it's going to work and when it's not (longer time before "success" popup ) and will get it so that when I click 'Flash ClockworkMod Recovery" and then click "Motorola Droid (CDMA)" it returns a "Successfully flashed ClockworkMod recovery" popup in 2-3 seconds max.
    Tom Crews
    SnkBitten - http://android.snkbitten.com/ (OG Droid)
    Motorola Droid, Droid 2, Droid 3 and Droid 4 (all + Root)
    Motorola X DevEd KK 4.4 + Root
    Google Nexus 10 KK 4.4.2 + Root

  6. Rescue Squad
    Tallica's Avatar
    Member #
    48266
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Middleboro, MA
    Posts
    3,259
    Liked
    6 times
    Twitter
    Tallica21
    Phone
    GSIII-Rooted
    Premium Member
    #5
    Your taking a risk with Rom Manager everytime, It has serious Froyo issues.

    No matter where you are in the process or what you are running you can do this once and not worry about it again:

    Use sbf to flash SPRecovery onto your phone:

    You will need to have RSD Lite installed to flash the SPRecovery sbf file for ESE81 (official 2.1 Android for Motorola Droid.)


    Download the following file:
    SPRecovery for ESE81 sbf file (browse to sbf folder)
    1. Connect your phone to the PC via USB and turn it off then while your phone is booting hold up on the DPAD.
    2. Run RSD Lite 4.6 as Administrator (For all you Vista and 7 folks out there. If you are using XP you may not need to run as Administrator)
    3. If your phone is not displayed in the "model" column you may need to do the following:
      1. Select the "config" option from the upper left corner of the tool
      2. Select DeviceId Options
      3. Select one of the two options available. By default neither are chosen, and my phone shows up fine with neither one selected.

    4. Click the [...] next to the filename box and browse to where you saved the .sbf file you want to use and double click the .sbf file.
    5. Hit start and below it should give you completion progress.
    6. Your phone will reboot and you will be on a stock 2.1 phone with SPRecovery installed.

    credit to ikithme and video at droid-life.com

    You now have the replacement boot-recovery app SPRecovery installed. You can use this tool to perform backups, restore those backups, apply update.zip updates, kernels, and flash full replacement roms.

    EDIT 8-28-2010 by dmacleo. link corrected.
    Last edited by dmacleo; 08-28-2010 at 10:29 AM. Reason: link correction
  7. Premium Member
    hookbill's Avatar
    Member #
    10332
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    N.E. Ohio
    Posts
    19,575
    Liked
    16 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member
    #6
    I've never used ROM Manager, all I can say is from my experience on these Forums it sure seems to have a lot of issues.

    Now I'm the first one to step up and say that only people with issues post in the Forums, you rarely see those who are satisfied come in and say, "Gee, what a great product." But the amount of issues I see here is extensive.
    Please be respectful. Respect is #1 here at DF Please read our Guidelines of Conduct
  8. Chief Droid Scientist
    MotoCache1's Avatar
    Member #
    83203
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    530
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    A855 / MB810
    #7
    This is why I stick with SPRecovery. No odd behavior - it just works. There are some update.zip file out there that don't work with SPRecovery (maybe the author was a Clockwork user so didn't test/care if it worked with SPR) but now that I know how to repackage them correctly to work with everything I have no incentive to switch.

    Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Droid 1 - the "unbrickable" droid.
    FRG22D - stock, rooted, ChevyNo1 LV 1.1GHz kernel, SetCPU 2.0.2, Superuser 2.3.6.1

    Droid X, Droid 2, Droid 2 Global (Band Unlocked), Droid Pro Global (Band Unlocked)

    Recommended reading for newbies: How to ask questions the smart way
  9. Super Moderator
    Vulcan1600's Avatar
    Member #
    7183
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    5,569
    Liked
    245 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3
    Premium Member
    #8
    I use SPRecovery almost exclusively, but decided that for Sapphire 1.0 that I'd save some time (?) and flash ROM Manager CW to install it. I mean, I did pay $5 for this program which I quickly realized was not worth the sacrifice of two beers I would have paid at Happy Hour, so figured I might as well use it for the ROM. When I do updates in the Market, there's always updates for ROM Manager, and people complain but for some reason I figured some of those updates were to fix a major flaw with CW. Apparently not and it is a little discouraging. I also posted in here thinking the authors of ROM Manager might read this and acknowledge and give hope that the issue is being addressed.
    Thank you to all who have served or are serving our great country. You're always in my thoughts and prayers.

    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. - Ronald Reagan
    --------

  10. Rescue Squad
    Tallica's Avatar
    Member #
    48266
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Middleboro, MA
    Posts
    3,259
    Liked
    6 times
    Twitter
    Tallica21
    Phone
    GSIII-Rooted
    Premium Member
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulcan1600Rider View Post
    I use SPRecovery almost exclusively, but decided that for Sapphire 1.0 that I'd save some time (?) and flash ROM Manager CW to install it. I mean, I did pay $5 for this program which I quickly realized was not worth the sacrifice of two beers I would have paid at Happy Hour, so figured I might as well use it for the ROM. When I do updates in the Market, there's always updates for ROM Manager, and people complain but for some reason I figured some of those updates were to fix a major flaw with CW. Apparently not and it is a little discouraging. I also posted in here thinking the authors of ROM Manager might read this and acknowledge and give hope that the issue is being addressed.
    I don't believe CW has a problem, it's fine as a standalone. It's RM with the issues.
  11. Super Moderator
    Vulcan1600's Avatar
    Member #
    7183
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    5,569
    Liked
    245 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3
    Premium Member
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by tallica View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulcan1600Rider View Post
    I use SPRecovery almost exclusively, but decided that for Sapphire 1.0 that I'd save some time (?) and flash ROM Manager CW to install it. I mean, I did pay $5 for this program which I quickly realized was not worth the sacrifice of two beers I would have paid at Happy Hour, so figured I might as well use it for the ROM. When I do updates in the Market, there's always updates for ROM Manager, and people complain but for some reason I figured some of those updates were to fix a major flaw with CW. Apparently not and it is a little discouraging. I also posted in here thinking the authors of ROM Manager might read this and acknowledge and give hope that the issue is being addressed.
    I don't believe CW has a problem, it's fine as a standalone. It's RM with the issues.
    I agree, it is RM and not CW itself with the issues. I meant to convey that in my previous posts.
    Thank you to all who have served or are serving our great country. You're always in my thoughts and prayers.

    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. - Ronald Reagan
    --------

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. issue with rom manager
    By misfyre in forum Android Hacks and Help
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-28-2010, 12:25 AM
  2. Task Manager Issue
    By droidlvr in forum Android Tech Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-24-2010, 07:51 PM
  3. The ongoing Handcent issue
    By AceDROID in forum Bugless
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-23-2010, 11:59 AM
  4. Rom Manager Issue?
    By JRDroid in forum Rescue Squad Help
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-15-2010, 09:26 AM
  5. rom manager weird issue
    By mikeofmikes83 in forum Android Tech Support
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-28-2010, 02:58 PM

Search tags for this page

how to resolve issue with freegee bootloop on e980
,

risks of rom manager

,
rom manager always has an issue when i boot in recovery mode
,
rom manager risks
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.
Find us on Google+