DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Installing apk files from gmail

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Installing apk files from gmail

I archive a lot of my android app apk files in gmail,and often use gmail to install my backup apks, using programs like tAttachApkInstaller and APKatcher.
    I worked fine on my stock droid, fine on the previous cyanogen mods,and fine on bugless beast.
    Now using Cyan 6 RC1 it does not work.I have the apk installer programs still installed, but now when I click to open an apk,I get options to open the apk with the file editor HTMLViewer etc etc.but not the apk installers.. any ideas?

3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    try uninstalling and reinstalling the tapkinstaller. Something might have messed up your file associations.
  4. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the apk installers, but it didn't help.

I'm wondering if this is some kind of bug with cyanogen rc1 and the android gmail app.as I discovered I get the installer prompts using my gmail account with K9...but would like to be able to install with the gmail app.anybody else having this problem?
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 2
    Quote Originally Posted by qwerty98311 View Post
    I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the apk installers, but it didn't help.

I'm wondering if this is some kind of bug with cyanogen rc1 and the android gmail app.as I discovered I get the installer prompts using my gmail account with K9...but would like to be able to install with the gmail app.anybody else having this problem?
    I'm not running Cyanogen (but rather Kangerade) and am having the same problem. I installed Blackmoon AttachSave to try to save other files and I wonder if it has caused the problem, even though I've uninstalled it. APKatcher worked fine as last I could remember, but then stopped working out of nowhere. I've tried tAttachApkInstaller, which also doesn't work. It's quite annoying. A work around is to using the browser and opening gmail from there and downloading it from the browser. Very annoying and hope someone can remedy this all.
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    I'm running CM6 and have no problems with random filetypes in the gmail app, including installing an attached apk.

I just looked through my applications list to see what could be the cause. It's either "Linda File Manager" or "OI File Manager". Try those out and see if they make it work for you.
    Cool CM Tricks
    custom_backup_list.txt - make a list of files in /system that will survive a nightly install (ringtones, notifications, system apps, wallpapers, whatever)
    in Terminal Emulator, set this as your shell command: "/system/xbin/su -c /system/xbin/bash". You get all the features of bash, root access, and you can still use the initial command field for whatever you want (default is adding /data/local/bin to your path)

Links