DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: CM6 RC1 and Nightlies

Member #
    Phone

CM6 RC1 and Nightlies

So are the newer nightlies more up to date than rc 1??

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by mattcrecelius View Post
    So are the newer nightlies more up to date than rc 1??
    Yes, but don't use them unless you have a good reason to. :-)

Good reasons might be:
    - There's a specific fix that is being worked on that you really want to try out.
    - You're having a problem and one of the devs told you it's fixed and in the nightly
    - You *are* a developer working on CM
    - You're active in IRC and are aware of possible issues.

A nightly build is an automated thing. It *might* contain the latest and greatest stuff with all sorts of new features over the last release (or release-candidate in this case). However, it's more likely to contain things that are half-working or untested, as the devs are still working on them. Some features that were previously working might be broken, if they are in the process of being improved or modified.

So go ahead and try a nightly build if you want to - but be aware that there could be any number of unknown undocumented problems. You won't even be able to find a changelog for that nightly build very easily, except for code-checkin comments. If you DO run into problems and try to get tech support, you'll probably get flogged once they find out you're running a nightly.
    Cool CM Tricks
    custom_backup_list.txt - make a list of files in /system that will survive a nightly install (ringtones, notifications, system apps, wallpapers, whatever)
    in Terminal Emulator, set this as your shell command: "/system/xbin/su -c /system/xbin/bash". You get all the features of bash, root access, and you can still use the initial command field for whatever you want (default is adding /data/local/bin to your path)
    Member #
    Phone
    Thank you.
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    7-13 nightly ran great for me. 7-14 not so much. Back to RC1 for now, because I didnt have 7-13 on my SD card when I had to get rid of 7-14
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    iPhone 5
    Quote Originally Posted by Se7enLC
    If you DO run into problems and try to get tech support
    Then you stop immediately and remember that there is no support for nightlies. Zero.
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by pdroid View Post
    If you DO run into problems and try to get tech support you'll probably get flogged once they find out you're running a nightly.
    Then you stop immediately and remember that there is no support for nightlies. Zero.
    Yeah, you only quoted half of my sentence... :-P I suppose I could have been more clear and said "you'll get flogged AND you won't get any help apart from telling you how to load the official released version"
    Cool CM Tricks
    custom_backup_list.txt - make a list of files in /system that will survive a nightly install (ringtones, notifications, system apps, wallpapers, whatever)
    in Terminal Emulator, set this as your shell command: "/system/xbin/su -c /system/xbin/bash". You get all the features of bash, root access, and you can still use the initial command field for whatever you want (default is adding /data/local/bin to your path)
  8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    iPhone 5
    Quote Originally Posted by Se7enLC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pdroid View Post
    If you DO run into problems and try to get tech support you'll probably get flogged once they find out you're running a nightly.
    Yeah, you only quoted half of my sentence... :-P I suppose I could have been more clear and said "you'll get flogged AND you won't get any help apart from telling you how to load the official released version"

10char...
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    When is the full version coming of cm6 or nightlies out and what is their to be expected in it
    Last edited by kprz24; 07-24-2010 at 10:54 AM.

Links