DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: RIP Thunderbolt, it's been fun.

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    SIII

RIP Thunderbolt, it's been fun.

Today, my Thunderbolt died. I bought it on release day, and it has had very few problems until today. I had it on the charger and it went to the white "HTC" screen. No big deal I thought.. happens sometimes, it'll reboot and all will be good. I was wrong, so very wrong. It buzzed on the HTC screen, then the screen turned off... HTC screen came back. It did this for 2 hours or so. I went to Verizon, they did a hard reset and wipe.. nothing worked. So now here I am, using a Blackberry Bold from 2009 and trying to figure out what to do. I think a Galaxy SIII.. but who knows.. I'll deal with it tomorrow.

It's been fun Thunderbolt. I'm sorry to see you go this way. I wish we could have seen ICS together.
    jntdroid likes this.

3. Developer
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Thunderbolt
    DroidForums.net Developer
    Quote Originally Posted by Z06_Mir View Post
    Today, my Thunderbolt died. I bought it on release day, and it has had very few problems until today. I had it on the charger and it went to the white "HTC" screen. No big deal I thought.. happens sometimes, it'll reboot and all will be good. I was wrong, so very wrong. It buzzed on the HTC screen, then the screen turned off... HTC screen came back. It did this for 2 hours or so. I went to Verizon, they did a hard reset and wipe.. nothing worked. So now here I am, using a Blackberry Bold from 2009 and trying to figure out what to do. I think a Galaxy SIII.. but who knows.. I'll deal with it tomorrow.

It's been fun Thunderbolt. I'm sorry to see you go this way. I wish we could have seen ICS together.
    I have a file (RUU) that has a very slight chance to resurrect your tbolt
    add me on gtalk lukeafrazier@gmail.com
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    TB & Inc 1
    Damn man. Sorry to hear. Is Verizon not willing to offer a replacement?

tap a talka thingy
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    SIII
    Quote Originally Posted by trter10 View Post
    I have a file (RUU) that has a very slight chance to resurrect your tbolt
    add me on gtalk lukeafrazier@gmail.com
    Thanks for the offer, but I think my time with the Thunderbolt is over. I've been planning on getting a new one.. just not today..
    Quote Originally Posted by wardo View Post
    Damn man. Sorry to hear. Is Verizon not willing to offer a replacement?

tap a talka thingy
    Heck no they're not. The phone is 18 months old, well out of warranty and it shows a slight bit of abuse. It's actually been in a case its entire life, but that hasn't completely stopped 18 months of hard use. The only thing I'm really upset at Verizon about is screwing me around on activating a phone for a few days. They said they couldn't just switch a number on an unused iPhone on my plan (we keep an "extra" phone for situations like these) so I'd have to move an OLD Blackberry to the account and then move to the iPhone. Well I tried and they wouldn't do it because of voicemail? Yeah, I dunno. So I'm using a sweet BB Bold until I can get to Verizon and buy an S3 today. Ugh.
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    TB & Inc 1
    Call the 800 number and talk to a rep about getting a new phone. They might give you a discount or something. I have found they are definitely different from the stores in terms of what they will approve. Good luck. The nexus is only 100 bucks I think.

tap a talka thingy
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    If you have a big account or have been with Verizon a while, get a hold of customer service. I received a replacement OG droid a week after warranty and other things stores wouldn't allow. They might replace for $50 or early upgrade. Try it and see what you get.
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    SIII
    I ended up getting an s3. It's pretty awesome actually. I'm already over my thunderbolt haha. Verizon didn't give me any breaks or anything... In fact I told them I was just going to pay retail for it even though my contract is up and they told me no. The guy said that it would be "very stupid". The difference is paying retail over being stuck paying for 5 gigs of data a month gets paid off in a year so I know I made the financially smart long term decision.

Btw the battery life is great so far. Been unplugged for 5 hours with a decent amount of screen on time and I'm at 77%
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Z06_Mir View Post
    I ended up getting an s3. It's pretty awesome actually. I'm already over my thunderbolt haha. Verizon didn't give me any breaks or anything... In fact I told them I was just going to pay retail for it even though my contract is up and they told me no. The guy said that it would be "very stupid". The difference is paying retail over being stuck paying for 5 gigs of data a month gets paid off in a year so I know I made the financially smart long term decision.

Btw the battery life is great so far. Been unplugged for 5 hours with a decent amount of screen on time and I'm at 77%
    That's good to hear I guess. Personally, I am holding mine until the hew HTC 1080 phone or the Razor HD comes out. October is good timing for me. I just want the next generation and the S3 does not feel like it, and I do not like pentile screens. To each thier own though.
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Phone
    TB & Inc 1
    That's good to hear about the phone. Last time I called the 800 line, the escalation manager broke down some good figures comparing my current plan and the new data plan. The new plan will supposedly be $30 less per month with 4gigs. I did not verify if that included taxes and all the other bs. But she did a 12 month average for our data usage. We only exceeded 4 gigs once.
    Sounds like I might upgrade in November. Now I need to look into the Htc 1080 what is this?

tap a talka thingy
  11. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    HTC’s 5-inch 1080p Smartphone Rumors Pop Up Again, Could Launch in September on Verizon – Droid Life

Rumors of course, but the vast majority of these rumors end up true or very close to it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links