DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Questions on rooting

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt

Questions on rooting

1)can some one give me a link to the most easiest and current way to root? ((Ive looked every where and im not even sure what i am to look for)) Also i am fully updated.
    2)after i root,,,can i keep the phone basically the way it is meaning stock and sense?really just want to root as to get rid of all the bloatware and possibly over clock it.
    3)Is there away to back up the phone pre-root in case i dont like root and wish to return to stock?

Any help in these matters would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Phone
    gingersensed thunderbolt
    Quote Originally Posted by mgangrock View Post
    1)can some one give me a link to the most easiest and current way to root? ((Ive looked every where and im not even sure what i am to look for)) Also i am fully updated.
    2)after i root,,,can i keep the phone basically the way it is meaning stock and sense?really just want to root as to get rid of all the bloatware and possibly over clock it.
    3)Is there away to back up the phone pre-root in case i dont like root and wish to return to stock?

Any help in these matters would be greatly appreciated.
    1. if we are not allowed to link to other sites, please delete this part of my post. [Auto] Root and Unroot (Windows)**Updated**5/20** w/MR1 update - Android Forums
    from android central forums (check the root/rom section under Thunderbolt if they remove the link) this is as simple as it can get. all you have to do is follow directions and be patient. thats it.

2. yes. after the process above you will be on MR1 (which is problematic) but you can flash MR2 (what you currently are running) pretty easily. rootzwiki.com has a great thread with all the radios and ROMs available, even stock.

3. unfortunately no. doing the auto root from step 1 wipes data, so you are going to have to set everything up again from scratch. if you want to return to stock unrooted, you can use the unroot part from the link in step 1.
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC One
    Question 3: Easy pre-root backup with adb
    Easy pre-root backup with adb - xda-developers

Also another link for root instructions including download links for the ROMS and tools you will need:

[ROOT] MR1/OTA PermRoot + Unlock Bootloader - Safer/Easier 5/12/2011 - xda-developers
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Quick question,, I dont get to far in the process because once i click yes to start push the files I wait the four minutes and than the program force closes and wont restart? I try re opening after a couple of minutes and i do the process over again and get the same result. Im running on MR2 would that have anything to do with it?
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC One
    Quote Originally Posted by mgangrock View Post
    Quick question,, I dont get to far in the process because once i click yes to start push the files I wait the four minutes and than the program force closes and wont restart? I try re opening after a couple of minutes and i do the process over again and get the same result. Im running on MR2 would that have anything to do with it?
    Your current radio version shouldn't matter. There have been some issues with that automated process/auto root script, so I can't really answer your question.

I would recommend using the manual method that I posted a link to from XDA. I have rooted many TB's(I work in a large IT group with many TB users) with this process without issues.

Good luck.

Links