DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Maybe this forum can help.

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    iPhone 3GS

Maybe this forum can help.

I posted this in android central but I cannot get a response there, maybe you can help me with these questions.

I live in a sleepy little town called Lincolnton, NC and to my extreme surprise I found out that we indeed have 4G coverage and fast coverage at that. I've been in 2 places and both only have 2 bars of signal and multiple speedtest report the service is running about 19mbps down and 15-35 up.

I have checked my address on the coverage map and I literally live next to the end of the coverage line. I would say no more than a couple of hundred feet or less. I'm wondering if I would get 4g service? My brother has a cheapo verizon phone and he gets 1 bar of 3g service downstairs. I currently have AT&T, I get zero bars down stairs but I average 2 bars upstairs.

Will I only get 1 bar of 4g service because he only gets 1 bar 3g service? Anyone have a similar experience?

Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by Beasthunt; 05-18-2011 at 04:31 PM.
  2. Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    Ambushbug73
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt
    I can't answer all of your questions since I just got mine, but I can tell you not to go by the coverage map on the Verizon site. It shows no 4G coverage in my area, but I talked to several people who had a Thunderbolt and all were getting 4G service. I checked in at my local Verizon store and sure enough my entire city is covered, they said the map is only update every 6-8 weeks. I hope you have good luck with coverage!
  3. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Samsung S4
    Premium Member
    Just get a device, You have 14 days to test.
    No one can answer your questions.
    A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone.

Only the Skilled Survive

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.

Drill Sergeant Frick's Rules For Un-armed Combat.
    1. Never be unarmed.
    2. See Rule #1

USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

4. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    1688 times
    Phone
    moto droid
    Premium Member
    That is kind of a tough one for us to answer. I have bought a sprint phone and the csr rep swore up and down I got great coverage in my area because I was in the area on the coverage map where it was green. But everyone I knew had issues with 3 g in my area. Bnb said it best to just get a device and try it out for a few days. Because there are some areas where vzw had dead spots or just plain 1x. And last thing you want is to be stuck with a 3g phone that you are paying for that you are not getting 3g data.

sent from droidforums app
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    OG D1 (Retired) & HTC TB
    I am about 60 miles away from you in asheville and I think 4G is in Charlotte so you might be picking it up since your so close there but the verizon store here told me when i got my TB that they we wouldn't see 4G here till Q4
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Phone
    HTC ThunderBolt/ S3
    I agree with the rest I would get a 4G phone and take it on a test run I like my thunderbolt and u also can't really go by how many bars u get I do know that a lot of time its u ether have service or don't the important thing is to not be dropping calls. For Example some phones will only show having 2 bars and get better reception than a phone showing 4 bars..

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums
  7. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    1688 times
    Phone
    moto droid
    Premium Member
    This is basically what I would.suggest to people now. Since you will be stuck with it for 2 years and 2 years is a long time. Either get a 4g capable phone now or wait until next year when more lte devices will be released. Even if you don't have lte now you can always make it a 3g phone for one. But you can't take a 3g phone and make it a lte phone. If you are not sold on the Lte phones out now then I would suggest wait until.next year.

sent from droidforums app
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X Rooted ROM Liberty 2.1
    I work for the railroad and my territory is from Maryland to north Carolina and I use my 3g Droid all over that state the only place I had one bar was in lemon springs which is near Sanford and I was on the rails in the middle of no where and still uploaded my report and downloaded my next job which was 547kbs and it downloaded it in 3mins and 52seconds that was done turning my phone into a wifi hotspot. Get the phone you be fine

Sent from da Droid X liberty 2.0.1
    Conquerors never, never conquer a nation to bring freedom. They brought control.
  9. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    iPhone 3GS
    Thanks for all of the replies. I guess I will have to just buy the phone and bring it to my house. My town has the 4g but I'm about 5 miles out and the coverage map worries me a bit. I seem to live next to a black hole for technology. It's really odd.
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    Quote Originally Posted by cananot View Post
    I work for the railroad and my territory is from Maryland to north Carolina and I use my 3g Droid all over that state the only place I had one bar was in lemon springs which is near Sanford and I was on the rails in the middle of no where and still uploaded my report and downloaded my next job which was 547kbs and it downloaded it in 3mins and 52seconds that was done turning my phone into a wifi hotspot. Get the phone you be fine

Sent from da Droid X liberty 2.0.1

I sure as h3ll hope you're in compliance with the FRA's Emergency Order 26, mister! ;-)

(I'm a train dispatcher)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links