DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does disabling 4G pose an issue with the Thunderbolt

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here

Does disabling 4G pose an issue with the Thunderbolt

My brand new Thunderbolt would not connect to 3G outside of a 4G area. It also would not connect when I disabled 4G using the hidden system menu. I went to the Verizon store to get it looked at and after a system restore, and whatever they did on their end, the phone now connects to 3G. The interesting thing about this story is the Verizon Tech told me under no circumstance was I to change the Network Type setting to CDMA auto (PRL), that the phone does that automatically, and furthermore, it can mess up the phone and creates problems on the Verizon network? It should only be used for testing purposes and not to control battery usage.

Hmmm... I don't see how my changing that setting can mess with their network, but any truth to it causing other issues with the phone?

3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Most Verizon store employees are idiots. The only difference you'll see by disabling 4G in the menu is improved battery life.
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    VZW TB
    I'm surprised they even knew what the phone was or that it was out.
    Did they try and exchange it for an iPhone...?

If you don't have LTE where you live, or want to save battery...yes, 3G is the way to go.
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid/HTC Thunderbolt
    Quote Originally Posted by dajogejr View Post
    I'm surprised they even knew what the phone was or that it was out.
    Did they try and exchange it for an iPhone...?

If you don't have LTE where you live, or want to save battery...yes, 3G is the way to go.
    Funny you say that. A guy at my Verizon store came in with an iphone he "ordered" to exchange it for the Thunderbolt he really ordered. Lol.

But back on topic. Don't think it causes issues as far as I can tell. I'm willing to investigate just to be on the safe side though.

Sent from my ADR6400L

Proud Owner of a HTC Thunderbolt
    3/26/11 - Present

Proud Owner of a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
    6/24/11 Present
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by jmz768 View Post
    Most Verizon store employees are idiots. The only difference you'll see by disabling 4G in the menu is improved battery life.

When I was having service issues, the girl at Verizon told me to do *228. I told her it was my understanding that would break the phone. She said "Oh, really? Better not do it then."

I feel kind of sorry for them, actually. Sounds like they have no training at all.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Yea most of the time when you call you have to get transferred up to some who really knows about what their talking about. I've gotten used to "please hold while I transfer you"

I downloaded the app that takes you to that menu, I've been thinking about using it but now I'm starting to wonder if it'll really mess with your phone?

AWESOMEbolt
    Shoot for the moon, if you miss you're still amongst those stars.
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    The tech at the store actually new about the hidden menu... *#*#4636#*#*... It was the tech she called on the phone requesting assitance that indicated switching to 3G would mess up the phone and their network.

I am just unhappy with the battery so I use wi-fi whenever I can and 3G otherwise. Only need 4G when am out and "feel the need for speed"... :O)

Tried Juice Defender... epic fail - unistalled.
  9. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC ThunderBolt
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus515 View Post
    My brand new Thunderbolt would not connect to 3G outside of a 4G area. It also would not connect when I disabled 4G using the hidden system menu. I went to the Verizon store to get it looked at and after a system restore, and whatever they did on their end, the phone now connects to 3G. The interesting thing about this story is the Verizon Tech told me under no circumstance was I to change the Network Type setting to CDMA auto (PRL), that the phone does that automatically, and furthermore, it can mess up the phone and creates problems on the Verizon network? It should only be used for testing purposes and not to control battery usage.

Hmmm... I don't see how my changing that setting can mess with their network, but any truth to it causing other issues with the phone?
    I had the same problem with my TB. Then I went to my local VZ store. First rep. told me " very soon there will be an update which will fix this problem". Next day second rep. told me that I have two choices" 1. Exchange the phone. 2. Do "Factory data reset". Since I bought my phone from Best Buy she told me I can exchange it only at Best Buy store. So, she did " Factory data reset" for me. Since then everything working just fine. I can switch to 3G using Test menu, phone automatically switching from 4G to 3G. Try.
  10. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    It is working fine now. I have it on wi-fi when at hoem and left it on 4G to see what kind of battery life i can get. So far after full charge last night at 11PM EDT, I am at 68% battery and running on 4G. I am able to bump it down to 3G , but want to benchmark my battery life while on the wi-fi and 4G combo.
  11. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Do you guys think we'll ever have an easy toggle widget for 4g? I would love to be able to control that in my Timerific profiles since I don't have 4g at home, but do have it everywhere else.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links