DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Install task killer or not??

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Phone
    samsung fascinate 2.1

Install task killer or not??

Sorry if this has already been posted....but I've been reading pros and cons to downloading and installing a task killer on my tb. Can someone please give me a definitive answer on whether or not it is beneficial or if it will somehow cause my phone harm. I'm really loving this phone since day one and don't want to screw it up. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!!

finally thunderboltin' and lovin it!!!!!
  2. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3
    Premium Member
    Don't install it.

Task killer's work against the design of Android's OS...
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...evelopers.html
  3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt
    i am new to android and found this article very intresting. i had installed advanced task manager and found it to be a help, i was a little put of by the apps always staying open after i exited it and by apps that start without me starting them.

i guess we have been so conditioned by microsoft with all of their issues with windows and apps that this just seemed like a natural course of action.

how do we, as users, get control over these apps that start when we don't use or want them. i am talking about things like kindle, friend stream, vcast apps, mobile im, peep, tunewiki, and all the other crap that shows as running. I didn't start these apps, don't use these apps, and really would like to get rid of them(i know that can't happen right now, but i do have hope!). i read that there is a way to stop them from starting and followed the directions but they keep coming back. any advice is greatly appreciated.
  4. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3
    Premium Member
    The only real way to 'stop' or remove these unwanted apps is to root your device. Not necessarily ideal for every user out there, but most of these unwanted apps are 'bloatware' placed on the device by carriers/partners and sometimes manufacturers. For the most part, no one likes this stuff... but they keep putting it there.

With root access you can simply rename the .apk's for these apps to .bak and they will essentially be hidden from the OS. Flat out removing apps isn't recommended unless you're comfortable with the in's and out's of rooting/ROMing/SBFing etc.

Using a task killer to 'kill' them as they open is only going to be more resource intensive on your device as these programs will continue to open, because it is how the OS is designed to operate.
  5. What iDoesn't
    Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    Phone
    Rezound and Bionic
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin030908 View Post
    Don't install it.

Task killer's work against the design of Android's OS...
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dro...evelopers.html
    +1! Let's continue this discussion there, shall we?

This thread has been Thunder struck!!
    "If you think you know everything, you can't learn anything." -Robert Morris

If you like my work or I have helped you out and you would like to help me keep the lights on, it is greatly appreciated!!
    http://bit.ly/ro3alQ
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt
    The only real way to 'stop' or remove these unwanted apps is to root your device. Not necessarily ideal for every user out there, but most of these unwanted apps are 'bloatware' placed on the device by carriers/partners and sometimes manufacturers. For the most part, no one likes this stuff... but they keep putting it there.

With root access you can simply rename the .apk's for these apps to .bak and they will essentially be hidden from the OS. Flat out removing apps isn't recommended unless you're comfortable with the in's and out's of rooting/ROMing/SBFing etc.

Using a task killer to 'kill' them as they open is only going to be more resource intensive on your device as these programs will continue to open, because it is how the OS is designed to operate.
    thanks for the reply. i have been reading a little on rooting, right now enough to be a danger but no real help to myself. i think i would like to try it, but as for now i think i am going to run it as is.
  7. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3
    Premium Member
    The discussion of whether or not to use task killers should continue at the link I posted and Droid Does also posted.

For more information on Rooting your device check here Newbie Guide to Rooting the Fascinate

and here [EB01 WALKTHROUGHS] Rooting, Clockwork, Voodoo, Stock and Custom ROM, Battery, etc

... all within Samsung Fascinate Development - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum here on DF.
  8. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by km04 View Post

thanks for the reply. i have been reading a little on rooting, right now enough to be a danger but no real help to myself. i think i would like to try it, but as for now i think i am going to run it as is.
    Definitely read up before you even consider rooting. Not that there's a great risk, but it's much less stressful should something go wrong if you're familiar with the 'what's' and 'why's'.

If you do decide to go the root route, we have some great guides here on the forum and a second to none Rescue Squad, along with extremely helpful members... any of which can help walk you through the process.

I'm going to go ahead and close this thread as we try to consolidate the Task Killer threads into the one linked.

OP - If you have any questions feel free to PM me

Links