DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: What text messaging app do you use?

Voters
168. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stock

63 37.50%
  • Handcent SMS

91 54.17%
  • chompSMS

2 1.19%
  • GO SMS

11 6.55%
  • Other

1 0.60%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: What text messaging app do you use?

1. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    i use handcent sms and just started using swype with it, i am really liking it alot better now, and i like the customization out of handcent sms as well.....
  2. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Twitter
    n0yxl
    Phone
    Samsung G'nex (Toro)
    I started using Handcent early '10 to get around the CDMA 160 char limit "flaw", been using it ever since. Highly customizable as well. Duh, winning!
    My recreational drug of choice is the Samsung Galaxy Nexus (Toro)
  3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Thunderbolt
    I want to try out either Handcent or Go SMS, once you download either one, how do you use that one over the stock? Thanks.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC ThunderBolt
    Quote Originally Posted by llgeg View Post
    I want to try out either Handcent or Go SMS, once you download either one, how do you use that one over the stock? Thanks.
    Open app tray, long press icon of texting app you want to use to select it, drag to an open spot on a home screen. Open stock messaging app, go to settings and disable notifications (so you don't get two notifications every time). Then open new texting app and use it just like you would use the stock one (and you may want to check the settings in it in case you want to adjust them).
    "These are the Droids you're looking for..."
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Thunderbolt
    Quote Originally Posted by guitarchris123 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by llgeg View Post
    Open app tray, long press icon of texting app you want to use to select it, drag to an open spot on a home screen. Open stock messaging app, go to settings and disable notifications (so you don't get two notifications every time). Then open new texting app and use it just like you would use the stock one (and you may want to check the settings in it in case you want to adjust them).
    Awesome, thanks!!
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Phone
    Droid Maxx
    I tried it on the TB but I went back to stock. I used it to change the notification color and sound on my DX. You can change the sound on the TB with the stock app so I left it. Colors can't be changed so Handcent is useless for me. Just another added app taking up space. The popup feature annoyed me.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC ThunderBolt
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustang02 View Post
    I tried it on the TB but I went back to stock. I used it to change the notification color and sound on my DX. You can change the sound on the TB with the stock app so I left it. Colors can't be changed so Handcent is useless for me. Just another added app taking up space. The popup feature annoyed me.
    You CAN change the notification color and sound with Handcent in settings. Actually, there are several different icons and colors you can use, and you can get a custom notification sound. You can also disable the popup feature if you want. I like the style and customization of it compared to the stock app, which I found the layout of to be boring. To each their own though.
  8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Phone
    Droid Maxx
    You CAN change the notification color and sound with Handcent in settings. Actually, there are several different icons and colors you can use, and you can get a custom notification sound. You can also disable the popup feature if you want. I like the style and customization of it compared to the stock app, which I found the layout of to be boring. To each their own though.
    The colors between Orange and Green? Yeah that's exciting. I know you can change the color, I even said that I did that on my DX. But the TB only has 3 colors, Red, Green and Orange. HTC went cheap on LEDs.

I just downloaded Handcent again and I don't have any option to change the LED. Only option I have is, Blink LED. On the DX, there was an option for color.
    Last edited by Mustang02; 03-28-2011 at 01:31 PM.
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC ThunderBolt
    The colors between Orange and Green? Yeah that's exciting. I know you can change the color, I even said that I did that on my DX. But the TB only has 3 colors, Red, Green and Orange. HTC went cheap on LEDs.

I just downloaded Handcent again and I don't have any option to change the LED. Only option I have is, Blink LED. On the DX, there was an option for color.
    Oh, sorry, you didn't specify LED before, you only said notification, so I thought you were referring to the icon. How many colors do you need for the LED, green & orange seems like it should get the job done. Do you need purple or blue for something? This seems a little nitpicky, or else I'm just not seeing the importance of having several different colored LEDs. If there's a notification light on, you're going to unlock your screen and see what it was and respond accordingly regardless, aren't you?
  10. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Phone
    Droid Maxx

Oh, sorry, you didn't specify LED before, you only said notification, so I thought you were referring to the icon. How many colors do you need for the LED, green & orange seems like it should get the job done. Do you need purple or blue for something? This seems a little nitpicky, or else I'm just not seeing the importance of having several different colored LEDs. If there's a notification light on, you're going to unlock your screen and see what it was and respond accordingly regardless, aren't you?
    Well I had different colors for different things. Email was green, txt was blue, etc. So that way I could just leave it alone or pick it up if I knew what it was. The LED notification area on the TB is a joke. I can barely see it blink behind the cheese grater. So I pick the phone up and unlock it more now because I don't see the notifications very well. I actually need to turn that off since it's just wasting battery. The Droid X would light up my bedroom at night from the LEDs.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Links