DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is anyone else having trouble adjusting to the new keyboard?

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt

Is anyone else having trouble adjusting to the new keyboard?

I'm coming from a rooted MotoDroid running Liquid GB, and this phone is miles ahead except the keyboard is killing me. I really miss the auto correct for I, I've, and the like, but the worst is I keep hitting the . when I am going for the spacebar. I've calibrated multiple times, but I always read, and type in horizontal and it seems like that woild have some effect on calibration overall due to button size and spacing from one o another.

Are there any suggestions, settings or anything to maybe help with the auto correct, and the spacebar problem? I don't like using the suggestion boxes and such, it really slows me down due to the aggrivation I guess.

Any help would be awesome, and will make you all royalty.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    I have been using Swype on my DINC and it was one of the first things I installed on my TBolt. I find the standard Android keyboard frustrating. I do like on the standard keyboard how they put the directional navigation buttons at the bottom since it doesn't have a trackball or D-pad. It takes an extra maneuver to bring up a directional pad on Swype.

The problem I am having is that the Tbolt is so large, that it is uncomfortable to Swype with one thumb in Landscape mode, so I wind up tapping instead of swyping, or even changing keyboards. Looking forward to a simple Root for the Tbolt if only so I can install Keyboard manager that automatically switches keyboards based on orientation (root only).

Alan
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I'm having a ton of trouble with Swype. Even when I go slow and I'm very careful, it produces bogus words. I absolutely cannot get it to recognize "still" (for example...there are many) no matter how many times I try. I end up pecking instead, which is very slow.
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Thunderbolt: das B.A.M.F.
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchb2 View Post
    I'm having a ton of trouble with Swype. Even when I go slow and I'm very careful, it produces bogus words. I absolutely cannot get it to recognize "still" (for example...there are many) no matter how many times I try. I end up pecking instead, which is very slow.
    I've tried forcing myself to like Swype due to its rave reviews by many. However, I just can't like it. I took advantage of the Swiftkey 30 day trial a while ago. After using it for a while, I would switch back to Swype occasionally to retest myself on which I liked better. Swiftkey's prediction ability keeps me coming back to it. I am always shocked at the number of sentences I enter where all I do is accept the next word. It truly thinks faster than I do! My TB is on the FedEx truck as we speak so I can't comment on the stock keyboard just yet.
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    I love the keyboard in Liquid's GB too. I think you can get the Gingerbread Keyboard from the Market.
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Hmm, maybe I'm just enjoying a new phone that actually works (came from a Samsung Omnia) but I find the keyboard quite nice. I've never been a fan of auto-complete because, for some reason, it really really hates me, so not sure that I could like swype.

This keyboard in general has been working amazingly well for me. I might try a new one eventually, but for now, it works.
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC ThunderBolt
    My only complaint is when you select a suggested word, the phone doesn't automatically insert a space. I find myself typing sentences with no spaces sometimes.

Common Misconception:
    Leaving your GPS on drains battery.
    Truth is: GPS is only used when you open an application that requires it. You can leave GPS toggled on at all times.
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    SIII
    I have a hard time typing minute sometimes. Maybe I will give swype one shot on this one despite the fact I hated it on my d1. We'll see. I miss the physical keyboard on my d1 a little, the thunderbolt is only my second phone that had no qwerty since my Motorola razor (had a bb storm, hated it more than any phone) so it's a slight adjusting process. I do wish it would auto correct so I didn't have to put in the ' for I've and it's.

9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid 4
    Quote Originally Posted by want a droid View Post
    My only complaint is when you select a suggested word, the phone doesn't automatically insert a space. I find myself typing sentences with no spaces sometimes.

this is the only drawback i find no auto spacing. but i have big hands and big thumbs i was nervous to ditch the phys kb but i am getting used to it and i actually started using speech to text which works amazing. im loving everything so far and cant wait for some roms.............

10. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC ThunderBolt
    Haha I also started using speech to text

Common Misconception:
    Leaving your GPS on drains battery.
    Truth is: GPS is only used when you open an application that requires it. You can leave GPS toggled on at all times.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links