DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thunderbolt v. Bionic Speed Comparison

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here

Thunderbolt v. Bionic Speed Comparison

I've heard all this talk about dual core versus single core, etc. etc. multi-threading, Dalvik, etc. etc.

At the end of the day, is there really that much of a difference between the HTC and the MOTO? Personally, I prefer HTC to Moto and the cameras are not even comparable. The MOTOs suck - the Droids were terrible. There are other comparisons but just not sure what they are worth.

I'll have to see what the deals are for these phones because, as of right now, LTE may not be tier priced and may be worth it to jump on the first gen LTE. What worries me is that HTC might be throwing out a substandard phone (still good) because it's the first and within 3 months you'll see far better phones with far better battery life (HTCs are notoriously bad). Some manufacturers are notorious for throwing out crappy phones in increments (see Blackberry which is why they are also failing miserably.) The Droid Pro was an example, few buying it. Bottom line is I don't want to regret purchasing a phone that seems fast now but may be actually too slow for certain things in a year. Weird but something to consider, especially if all phones are going dual core and that may make a difference.
    Free Android App: Download the Law Guide and Law Dictionary from the Market!

3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Touch Pro2
    Your point?

-Frank
    +[HTC Thunderbolt™ 4G/LTE!]
    ____________________ (Click on pics/links) ___________________
    It's not your dream phone. It's the one after that!©
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankXS View Post
    Your point?
    -Frank
    Frank... what part of my point did you miss. Here's a recap if there was too much to read in 2 short paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    I've heard all this talk about dual core versus single core, etc. etc. multi-threading, Dalvik, etc. etc.

At the end of the day, is there really that much of a difference between the HTC and the MOTO?

Bottom line is I don't want to regret purchasing a phone that seems fast now but may be actually too slow for certain things in a year.
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Do you really need to ask if there's much difference between a dual core 1 ghz phone a single core 1 ghz phone? Obviously, there's a vast difference or there'd be no reason to make the jump to dual cores. The only issue really holding the Bionic back in people's eyes is the lack of dual core optimization both in apps and the actual droid operating system.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    TweetOfJohnboy
    Phone
    TBolt w/Das BAMF Forever Cubed
    Quote Originally Posted by Exayex View Post
    Do you really need to ask if there's much difference between a dual core 1 ghz phone a single core 1 ghz phone? Obviously, there's a vast difference or there'd be no reason to make the jump to dual cores. The only issue really holding the Bionic back in people's eyes is the lack of dual core optimization both in apps and the actual droid operating system.
    I've said it before in other threads, and I will say it here: If an OS is well designed, you don't need to overclock or have better specs. MotoBlur needs the dual core, HTC Sense does not. For the two phones mentioned, it's pretty much a wash in all reality. Go with what you like.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Tunderbolt

That is not true. Dual core is not inherently faster. The processor speed is 1Ghz. Between brands that can mean different things, but ignoring the 'work-per-clock-cycle' variations, you can't assert that two cores is faster than 1. In fact, for a singular, single threaded application running, they are exactly the same.

Dual core gets you two things: (1) you can run more things at once with less lag noticeable between them, and (2) software that is optimized to use multiple threads can do more work per clock cycle. The first item is very dependent on how you use your hardware. Some will see a huge gain, others not so much. The second depends on how well developers take advantage of the extra headroom for processor instructions.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    funkyb - exactly. More isn't necessarily better or faster. I remember how people were screaming about quad core CPUs and the net gain over a Core 2 Duo for most purposes was negligible. But at least those comparisons were also done with processors that were identical for the most part. Here the processors are completely different and the clock speed isn't meaningful alone.

I've noticed that three of the first four 4G phones look like they are using single core although the LG and Samsung seem to be scheduled for release after the Bionic. If dual core is that incredible, it would make one wonder why these manufacturers would bother releasing these two phones at all. As of right now, I'm considering ditching the T-bolt and just waiting it out for the Bionic, despite the potential offer of a non-tiered 4G Internet plan. I'm wondering whether they will try to get almost all customers to upgrade early through at least Q3 before changing the plan.
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Tunderbolt
    Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    I'm wondering whether they will try to get almost all customers to upgrade early through at least Q3 before changing the plan.
    It scares me to think about it, tempting, but I'd hate to miss unlimited. This also gave me a shake:

When the HTC Thunderbolt launches, "that will give you a flavor of what our tiered pricing structure will be," Shammo said.
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    More like "whammo" than Shammo... the problem is that these guys have a monopoly and can charge almost anything. Text messages should cost an insane $0.15 per message in bulk or .25 or more? Whatever... the tiered pricing will be what it will be so this is another question of "do we do Thunderbolt now and risk hell or is the Moto Bionic that much faster and more capable?" Hard to say without someone who is in the know and can make reasonable comparisons to assist.
  11. Droid
    Member #
    Phone

That's not true I don't care if the is is optimized yet. I would love to have the better hardware. The only thing holding me back is motos lockdown policy and seeing as the atrix is locked I think its safe to assume the bionic will be too. It could be the best hardware on the planet but if I can't truley own my device I don't want it.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums App
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Links