DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DLNA devices

1. Beta Team
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid 1
    Premium Member

DLNA devices

So I know the TB has DLNA and not HDMI. No problem there. What I am trying to figure out is how to connect with non DLNA TV. I know there has been some discussion randomly through the threads but wanted to start a thread to figure out best methods.

Personally I am looking into iusing my Xbox 360. My question is can it be done? I know that it has DLNA capabilites. Does this mean I can just connect my TB with the Xbox whenever and run things through the Xbox? Do I still need something like the HTC Media Dock? Any insight?

3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Omnia II
    Quote Originally Posted by wctaylor79 View Post
    So I know the TB has DLNA and not HDMI. No problem there. What I am trying to figure out is how to connect with non DLNA TV. I know there has been some discussion randomly through the threads but wanted to start a thread to figure out best methods.

Personally I am looking into iusing my Xbox 360. My question is can it be done? I know that it has DLNA capabilites. Does this mean I can just connect my TB with the Xbox whenever and run things through the Xbox? Do I still need something like the HTC Media Dock? Any insight?
    I want to do the exact same thing. Anyone out there with experience on connecting another device with DLNA to an Xbox 360?
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Thunderbolt: das B.A.M.F.
    No real insight but if you need more info about the HTC Media Link itself, here's a link to some discussion and video here in this forum: Thunderbolt vs Bionic

google "xbox dnla" and you should find quite a bit on the xbox specifically. I'm planning on using my ps3 and/or my logitech revue (google tv).
  5. Beta Team
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid 1
    Premium Member
    Thnaks.. Yeah looking through the pages here and on the internet it seems perfectly feasible. Just need to get one in my hands and go home and try it out.. Any X users do this already with DLNA and Xbox?
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt
    I've got and old a$$ CRT television which I won't be able to replace anytime soon. I'm thinking of getting a WD Live box from Amazon for less than $100. It would work with my old style connections as well as newer HDTVs. It does a whole lot more than the adapter from HTC for less than $20 more.
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Have always wondered what dlna was... sounds pretty dope. I have ps3s on all our TVs so hopefully it works.

Sent from my GSBv1.6-ERIS using DroidForums App
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    100 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    I don't have hands on experience with DNLA or DLNA whatever it's called but I've read a fair amount of documentation about it and seeing this thread I was thinking about the downsides of DNLA , apart from not supporting HD video , the price of the adapter ( $130-$150 ) and limited flexibility and mobility here is another one , I was just thinking , if DLNA is using TCP/IP to send information you need the WNIC enabled on your phone which will disable your 3G/4G connection so you won't be able to use VZ data plan to stream movies , webpages or internet related content to your TV through DLNA .
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt
    DLNA works through (and requires?) a wifi or lan connection. I believe it has to have an IP address on your local network. Pushing it through your cell connection (especially 3G) would add to much latency for a smooth experience.

Sent from my Eris
    "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." - George Carlin

10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S4
    So has anyone figured out how this works yet? I have an XBox 360 and now the Thunderbolt. How to get them to communicate?
  11. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Thunderbolt: das B.A.M.F.
    I don't have my TB yet (c'mon FedEx!) but from previous research, I believe that the TB doesn't come with a DNLA server. I was going to go the route of downloading TwonkyServer Mobile from the market. I played with it on my Droid quite a while ago but the memory requirements were more than my Droid could supply.

I then plan on trying DNLA via my PS3 and Logitech Revue.
    Last edited by Blackhawk55; 03-18-2011 at 08:23 AM.
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Links