DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When did you purchase your Thunderbolt

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt

When did you purchase your Thunderbolt

What do you do on the phone, are you in a 4G area, and if so, do you have it activated? After all that, what is your average battery life.

I ask these, because it seems like a lot of the problems are coming from people who got the phone right when it came out. Personally, I just got mine a week ago today, and I'm not seeing the battery problems that others are complaining about...

When did I purchase: April 5
    What do I do with the device: No big gaming. Mostly answering emails & texts. I'm on Google Talk all day with my girlfriend. I do play Andoku a lot, and have been listening a bit to the big collection of songs I have on there.
    Do I live in 4G and have it active: No... will not get 4G til this summer.
    Average Battery Life: 21:01

I'm hoping by asking these and getting enough responses, we might be able to see some kind of trends toward those who are seeing problems and those who are not. Is it possible that HTC has addressed some of the battery problems with the newer phones that are out now? Could it be that LTE is buggy or is just simply that much of a drain?

3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt
    I got mine on 3/23 or 3/24 and my battery life is great. I'm not rooted and I would say it gets moderate use (3 - 10 calls a day, 20 - 30 minutes of Angry Birds, Solitaire or other games, anywhere from 5 minutes - hour of surfing in a day, several sent and read emails, google sync turned on, weather sync every 6 hours). On a normal day I unplug my TBolt at around 7:30AM and so far it has never died before I plug it back in around 10:30 - 11pm. Now, I will say that 4G seems to drain the battery faster. I'm in an area with great 4G coverage but I use Phone Info to keep it on 3G unless I need to use 4G and I'm always on Wi-Fi weeknights at home. I have had 4G on for 2 or 3 hours at a time though and the battery drained faster but not to the extent that some have said. I haven't watched YouTube on 4g for 3 hours straight or anything, but I would expect that to kill the battery and don't call that normal use.
  4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC ThunderBolt
    Bought (well ordered online) day of release.

My company/business and personal phone. Used ALOT.

3G and 4G coverage about 1/3 of the time.

Rooted, ROM'ed, Overclocked and average anywhere from 10-15 hours.
    HTC THUNDERBOLT Rooted / Perfect Storm 1.2 ROM / Overclocked @ 1.80GHZ

Evolution : Droid 1 - Incredible - Droid X - Thunderbolt
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Twitter
    qsminsd
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    When did I purchase: March 19
    What do I do with the device: Email, text, a few voice calls, use aps
    Do I live in 4G and have it active: Yes. San Diego. 4G coverage everywhere. Always have it on.
    Average Battery Life: ~6-7hrs maybe
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Bionic
    I purchased my ThunderBolt 3/25/11 when I switched to Verizon from T-Mobile. I switched mainly due to the possible AT&T buy-out.

I use my phone to get e-mail, internet access, calendar reminders, sync to Google account, texts and phone calls, not very much into phone/gaming-few occasions I try one out for a few minutes, but that's about it.

I like the Android OS very well. My last phone was also an HTC, an HD2 USA version on T-Mobile's network. It had Windows Mobile 6.5 OS, which I grew to like mainly because of the phone itself. But, when it comes to Android 2.2.1 like on the ThunderBolt, it is much easier to use and add apps, IMO.

As some say, the battery is not strong on life, but neither was my HD2 when I first bought it. It took about 2 months and an OTA update before battery life improved. I think it will be the same on the ThunderBolt. Have 3G at home county, but no 4G yet. I use LTE OnOff app to switch off 4G to save battery. 4G will be coming to Hagerstown, MD this year, so reports say. That is 8 miles to my South. I have zero regrets on the purchase. My Nite Ize case from the HD2 fits perfectly BTW.
    Last edited by Blacksheep427; 04-14-2011 at 09:40 PM. Reason: spelling correction
    Your money, your choice.
  7. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here

Wink Two days ago

I'm really new. Bought my Thunderbolt 2 days ago. Love it!
  8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    Larry_ThaGr81
    Phone
    rooted Droid 1 & Thunderbolt
    I came from a OG and I don't think the battery life gets much worst with the overclocking of the CPU that it was for me. So the battery life wasn't a issue for me when switching to the Thunderbolt. However, I do notice that the battery life is considerably less than my wife's Droid X, but it still fine for me. My only gripe is the low capacity battery that a phone of this magnitude would come with.

When did I purchase: March 17 (release date), first customer at store opening
    What do I do with the device: I basically use it as if I'm still on my OG, lite text messaging, calling, occasional web browsing, etc
    Do I live in 4G and have it active: No I'm not expecting it until sometime in the second half of 2012
    Average Battery Life: Don't actually monitor anymore as I did the first few days, but I can go for more than 24 hours on a single charge. I charge my phone once a day

This is by far the fastest phone that I've ever seen. I played with all the high end phones like the Evo 4G, Droid X, Droid 2, Fascinate, etc and this phone is noticeably faster at everyday task than any of those phones. I think the negative reviews regarding the battery life stem from factors like the low capacity battery and the fact that HTC has managed to squeeze every single MHz possible out of the processor. Could they have done a better job in terms of power management, I won't know until some of these other 4G phones come out. I'll have to keep in mind that most of them, if not all of them will have larger capacity batteries onboard.
    Last edited by Larry_ThaGr81; 04-16-2011 at 04:51 AM. Reason: added more
    Simply Stunning rooted OGD
    Sent from the Bolt powered by Thunder on
    SkyRaider Zeus
  9. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Thunderbolt
    I got my bolt at the end of march. This area is always 4G coverage too and I always leave it on. Initially my battery life was 4 to 4.5 hours. Got extended battery and I was averaging about 9 hours. Rooted and flashed das bamf 1.4. Since then I get an average id say of 20 hours. Longest i've made it is 28 hours so far. I txt nonstop, occasional mail, lots of words with friends, and I Skype for a good hour a day. 3 email accounts set on 30 min updates and I always got Skype and yahoo running in the background 24/7.

I was originally unhappy but this is perfect now. I never worry about running out of battery. In fact I'm even considering trying the stock battery again.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums
  10. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    htc thunderbolt

ack is this normal?!!

I just bought my thunderbolt on Monday the 18th. It is only holding a charge for 3-4 hours!! is this normal? I knew the battery life was an "issue" but this seems crazy to me. I am not a gamer, I am an attorney and use the phone primarily for email/texting, very little actual internet surfing (maybe click on a few links per day) and maybe 30 minutes of words with friends per day or something while I'm on the bus commute to work. I really, really love this phone and how much easier it makes working outside the office, but I had to drive to a meeting a few hours away the other day and the phone totally died on my way back from the meeting while I was stuck in traffic. Very frustrating as I really "need" a reliable, fast, AMAZING phone like this one for my job, but I definitely need the charge to last longer than a few hours, especially when I am traveling. Any input would be greatly appreciated, I am going through right now changing all of my settings as suggested elsewhere on these forums in the hope that I can keep it holding a charge longer, but I would really like some feedback on whether maybe I just got a lemon here...am wondering if I should just return to the store and swap out for a different thunderbolt, or just go with the iPhone (shudder)...thanks!!
  11. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    htc thunderbolt

I forgot to add...

I am in a 4g area probably about a 1/3 of the time, 3g the rest (denver metro).
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links