DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PVMtpServiceStart killing battery

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt

PVMtpServiceStart killing battery

I have been having an issue with the process called PVMtpServiceStart occasionally draining my battery. I fully charge my battery every evening before I go to sleep. Usually after 6-8 hours of the phone sitting on my nightstand, off charger, with wifi off I will only drop to about 95 percent battery life. However, some nights, even with the same routine, when I wake up the battery is down to around 35 percent. When I check the battery usage PVMtpServiceStart is 89% of my battery use.

I looked it up and most people say this process is related to the blockbuster app and that updating the app and disabling the auto-updates would stop this from running. I had done this long before I started having the battery drain issue, and it still happens all the time.

I have double checked my settings and updates are turned off in the Blockbuster app. If I reboot the phone the process starts running right away. To be safe I have gone in and force stopped the process from running, and I will be fine for a couple of days, but then randomly it starts itself up again and drains my battery.

Does anyone one have any ideas what could be causing this? I'll root my phone if I can be sure that PVMtpServiceStart can be completely deleted so it never runs again if thats what it takes, but I'd rather not have to do that.

3. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt
    I am having the same problem, also on an HTC Thunderbolt. I updated Blockbuster, disabled automatic updates, and still the service starts and drains the battery heavily while I'm not using the phone.
  4. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt

Same Issue

Tried same solutions and have same issue.
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    ThunderBolt
    Have you tried to force stop the program? Or reboot since the problem? I had this issue but it hasn't reared its ugly head since I force stopped BlockBuster and this program. Good luck!
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Quote Originally Posted by iRenegade View Post
    Have you tried to force stop the program? Or reboot since the problem? I had this issue but it hasn't reared its ugly head since I force stopped BlockBuster and this program. Good luck!
    I tried force stopping the program, I've rebooted numerous times and it always eventually comes back.

I finally just rooted my phone and installed a program that would allow me to freeze any process. This seems to have solved the issue, but I didn't want to have to root my phone to do so. If anyone finds a non-root solution to this I am still interested.
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    thunderbolt

same issue with my phone is driving me crazy

OMG I am having this same issue. Its usuing up over 80% of my battery! I really hope someone can figure out what the crap this is and how to get rid of it.
  8. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Samsung S4
    Premium Member
    Not seeing this issue at all on my TB...Stock.
    A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone.

Only the Skilled Survive

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.

Drill Sergeant Frick's Rules For Un-armed Combat.
    1. Never be unarmed.
    2. See Rule #1

USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt
    It appears that PVMtpServiceStart is related to using the "media sync" usb connection type (whether or not is actually has anything to do with the BlockBuster app as well I don't know).

Since I have my phone rooted, and I am currently "freezing" the PVMtpServiceStart process from ever running, I have found that I can't connect to my computer when the phone is in media sync mode. I have to unfreeze the process and then the phone will connect with the media sync setting.

This doesn't explain why this process is running when not connected to a computer and why it is draining the battery so much, or why it isn't doing it for everyone.
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt
    The blockbuster app is hog but you can stop it from doing updates by going to the menu --> settings and Disable Movie Updates. I did that early on an the blockbuster app doesn't run at all unless I open it.
  11. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Quote Originally Posted by FrellingFrakker View Post
    The blockbuster app is hog but you can stop it from doing updates by going to the menu --> settings and Disable Movie Updates. I did that early on an the blockbuster app doesn't run at all unless I open it.

I did this too, and never touched the app again. My original post only mentions the blockbuster app, because my initial google search about PVMtpServiceStart lead me multiple post on message boards about that service being tied to the blockbuster app. While that may be true, my findings suggest that PVMtpServiceStart (the process that occasionally drains the battery) is somehow related to the media sync usb setting. And the problem still remains.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links