DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Left for Greener pastures

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    38 times
    Phone
    Nexus 4 (Rooted Stock)

Left for Greener pastures

Well, I finally had enough of both Verizon and HTC and bailed. I went to T-Mobile and got a Nexus 4. I lost SD and a removable battery (which is just as awful as it sounds), but the gains were SOOO worth it...no more bloat, no more trying to circumvent HTC's obnoxious skin, an even better display, and vanilla android in all it's glory. Vanilla Android really is everything I ever though it would be. It is heaven.

It is too bad HTC made the decisions they did. They stubbornly cling to Sense like a too-old child with a security blanket. They have ditched the idea of SD and removable batteries. Their support is still awful. They are ignoring their customers and it is going to send them to the same dustbin that Blackberry is in right now.

Such a waste, because the Rezound was a great phone. Awesome camera and display even by today's standards. I will miss the Rezound, but I won't miss HTC.

3. RS Lead
    Member #
    Liked
    1040 times
    Phone
    Galaxy s4
    Premium Member
    HTC has made a bunch of questionable moves recently, imo. And I'm personally thinking about leaving Verizon this July when my contract is up considering the other networks here are pretty good and I don't mind losing my unlimited data plan. Good choice in the Nexus 4.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    38 times
    Phone
    Nexus 4 (Rooted Stock)
    Quote Originally Posted by dezymond View Post
    HTC has made a bunch of questionable moves recently, imo. And I'm personally thinking about leaving Verizon this July when my contract is up considering the other networks here are pretty good and I don't mind losing my unlimited data plan. Good choice in the Nexus 4.
    The thing that made me finally leave is that I did not want another 2 year contract. I paid my $190 termination fee to escape and just left. T-Mobile has it's flaws, but their network is getting better quickly, they do not stuff you phone with bloat, and they have decoupled the phone from the plan...so you have no contract and can leave at will. They will still finance your phone for you though, and at 0% interest no less, which is just awesome.

Also, they have had the best phones for a while now, including Nexus phones. Verizon tends to get the lowest-common-denominator phones that sell the best. I don't think Verizon ever got the Galaxy S2 at all. The Galaxy Nexus technically is not even a Nexus device because of Verizon.

Doesn't hurt that my bill will drop $20/month. $70 for unlimited-everything with no throttling.
  5. RS Lead
    Member #
    Liked
    1040 times
    Phone
    Galaxy s4
    Premium Member
    I hear ya. And with their network improving, I am considering T-Mobile as their coverage is pretty good around here. Can't argue against saving $20/mo either.

I still think the Galaxy Nexus is a Nexus experience as I was never going to rely on Verizon to give me updates, I relied solely on the devs. So imo, I did get the Nexus experience I was expecting and wanted, and I still do to this day.

Glad to hear you're still on Android
  6. Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    112 times
    Phone
    HTC One
    Premium Member
    I'm actually not far behind you. I'm leaving Verizon to pick up a One on T-Mobile. However I plan on switching phones even more often with the trade-in incentives T-Mobile is offering. Or I'll just keep selling my old phone on Craigslist either way...

Quote Originally Posted by dezymond View Post
    I hear ya. And with their network improving, I am considering T-Mobile as their coverage is pretty good around here. Can't argue against saving $20/mo either.

I still think the Galaxy Nexus is a Nexus experience as I was never going to rely on Verizon to give me updates, I relied solely on the devs. So imo, I did get the Nexus experience I was expecting and wanted, and I still do to this day.

Glad to hear you're still on Android
    Even with my corporate discount, I'm saving over $40 by switching to T-Mobile. I can almost get another line on T-Mobile for the price of my single Verizon line
    Helpful Rezound Links:
    Guide to Unlocking, Rooting, ROM'ing, and FAQ

Did you know: You can upgrade your Rezound to ICS without rooting?

Fun Rezound Fact: The antennas for the Rezound are in the battery cover.

Don't forget to backup your flash player install before they remove it from the Android Market.

If you don't understand something, ask questions.
    Please follow the posting guidelines.

An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
    Benjamin Franklin
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    38 times
    Phone
    Nexus 4 (Rooted Stock)
    Yeah, it will be very nice to be able to upgrade phones yearly (or less) instead of every 18 months at best. Verizon was like a giant anchor on my life.

I am already getting emails from them asking me to come back like some psycho ex girlfriend who won't take no for an answer.
  8. Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    112 times
    Phone
    HTC One
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffDenver View Post
    Yeah, it will be very nice to be able to upgrade phones yearly (or less) instead of every 18 months at best. Verizon was like a giant anchor on my life.

I am already getting emails from them asking me to come back like some psycho ex girlfriend who won't take no for an answer.
    Well at least I know what to look forward to lol. I change phones every 6-8 months it seems like so I usually have no less than 2 new phones a year. It gets a bit pricey on Verizon.
    Helpful Rezound Links:
    Guide to Unlocking, Rooting, ROM'ing, and FAQ

Did you know: You can upgrade your Rezound to ICS without rooting?

Fun Rezound Fact: The antennas for the Rezound are in the battery cover.

Don't forget to backup your flash player install before they remove it from the Android Market.

If you don't understand something, ask questions.
    Please follow the posting guidelines.

An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
    Benjamin Franklin
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Rezound
    If I switch it will be back to a blackberry. To this day I cant tell if I have a message waiting without waking up the phone, I miss the blinking LED (The legible one) and I really liked having active icons that change state when they have a message waiting etc...

And dont get me started on instant email and security.

I would try T-mo, but here on the southside of Indy I doubt they have the performance of big red. But, it may be worth it over getting rid of my smart phone plan all together. Can I take my wifes VZW iPhone to T-Mo? (And what about my rezzy?)

Links