DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: ICS update OK at first, now the fone sucks

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Rezound

Angry ICS update OK at first, now the fone sucks

Why should I have a smartphone (at all, as the VAST MAJORITY of mature people ask), if it cannot make its apps work at all?

At first with this absurd ICS update, one could 'disable' various apps. Now that is gone, just left with 'force stop' as in old operating system on Rezounds.

Now Google Earth has stopped working, cannot get it enabled again. I have rebooted, battery pull, SIM pull, everything except Factory Reset, which I refuse to do. ( Choice: leave phone working as phone, but crippled with ICS; OR, go thru the absurd nonsense of Factory Reset. Some neat product, HTC/Verizon/Google. Software dweeb industry strikes again.)

I cannot get to a menu before Earth stops. It seems to think it is 'offline'. Wifi is on and strong right next to phone. But cannot bring up any 'settings' menu to setup its wifi. 4G just arrived here - but it is slower than 3G if that can be believed, with Earth. I have, several times, uninstalled Earth and reinstalled. No change.

Next time Google, I will just get a telephone - spare me all the stupid hype.

BTW, I was never one of those who WANTED ICS in the first place. But Verizon store tells me that if I do not do updates, phone will crash.

Really really a neat product - for a baseball bat target - or in most cases a toy for the chronically immature.

jrc
    Last edited by b684co; 09-10-2012 at 05:32 PM.
  2. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Rezound
    Is Earth the only app you are having trouble with? This app was updated recently and I noticed it was a bit slow. So you cannot open the app at all on wifi...how about 4/3G? One thing about Earth is that there are a lot of "layers" and if many are checked it can really be an issue. If you can somehow open it up check to see what map options are checked.

If you are having issues with other apps to then your only (best) choice is a Factory Reset. Yeah, PITA...but ICS is a HUGE update over Gingerbread. I had to do it and it has turned my phone into an awesome machine (mostly).
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    Phone
    Moto X
    Quote Originally Posted by b684co
    Why should I have a smartphone (at all, as the VAST MAJORITY of mature people ask), if it cannot make its apps work at all?

At first with this absurd ICS update, one could 'disable' various apps. Now that is gone, just left with 'force stop' as in old operating system on Rezounds.

Now Google Earth has stopped working, cannot get it enabled again. I have rebooted, battery pull, SIM pull, everything except Factory Reset, which I refuse to do. ( Choice: leave phone working as phone, but crippled with ICS; OR, go thru the absurd nonsense of Factory Reset. Some neat product, HTC/Verizon/Google. Software dweeb industry strikes again.)

I cannot get to a menu before Earth stops. It seems to think it is 'offline'. Wifi is on and strong right next to phone. But cannot bring up any 'settings' menu to setup its wifi. 4G just arrived here - but it is slower than 3G if that can be believed, with Earth. I have, several times, uninstalled Earth and reinstalled. No change.

BTW, I was never one of those who WANTED ICS in the first place. But Verizon store tells me that if I do not do updates, phone will crash.

Really really a neat product - for a baseball bat target - or in most cases a toy for the chronically immature.

jrc
    For the time you spent typing this, you could be part way thru a factory reset.
    Last edited by Snoking; 09-11-2012 at 07:28 AM.
    Rezound User - Retired Techie
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Phone
    Rezound
    Jrc,

I'll trade you my old Verizon flip phone for your worthless rezound.
    VidJunky likes this.
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I hated the idea of a factory reset, but I'm glad I took the time to do it. The rezound rocks.
    VidJunky likes this.
  6. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Do the factory reset so u can enjoy the phone u paid for...!!
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid bionic
    I had very bad luck with my rezound after ICS also. Especially poor battery!

I did the factory reset and it did not help at all. After speaking with a tech Rep and trying several things with the phone, they sent me a razr maxx.

The screen isn't as beautiful, but it is a solid phone where ICS has actually been a benefit and my battery life is incredible.....18+ hours with heavy use.

Good luck. I hope your problems get resolved.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Quote Originally Posted by b684co View Post

jrc
    Tech problems can be annoying, but insulting other users will not garner you sympathy. Others, such as myself, have had no problems whatsoever with the ICS upgrade. I also use it as it was intended; not for fart apps and the like.
    Last edited by WallyIAm; 09-12-2012 at 05:21 AM.
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    Rezound
    Quote Originally Posted by b684co View Post

jrc
    Has the voting for mega douche of the year ended? I have a nominee

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    31 times
    Phone
    Nexus 4 / LG G2
    (In a better place today, going to try to redeem myself a little bit after yesterday's post)

I think this whole thread needs to be deleted... It started out rough, and it has just kept staggering downhill ever since. The OP is obviously upset and is not looking for help, just to blame, point fingers, and complain so this thread is pointless. Hopefully, this was actually a frustrated users way of asking for assistance?

BUT, if the OP wants, I would more than willing to assist him/her in trying to correct the issues and get the phone back into a usable, possibly enjoyable, state, but that does not seem to be the intent of this thread, and unfortunately, yes, it would require some work and inconvenience to get things taken care of from the apparent current condition of the device.
    Last edited by acejavelin; 09-11-2012 at 02:10 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links