DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Underground setting?

1. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Underground setting?

My phone doesn't seem to figure out when a connection is not available that it should go to sleep. Instead it keeps sucking the battery dry.
    Is there a setting for the phone to figure this out on its own? Should it be going to sleep on its own already and is not working properly?
    The drain is drastic. Thx.

3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Rezound
    So you are talking about it being on 4G then in an area with no service? Unfortunately with the radio ON it will continue to hunt for a signal, effectively killing your battery. I have not heard of an app that will automatically turn off the radio in a no service area. Your only option that I know of is to switch to airplane mode when in bad or no coverage areas.
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Rezound
    Looks like there are some apps that will switch to airplane mode when the screen is off...if that helps at all.
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    I don't know how well it would work for your situation, but I use Tasker for similar issues. When I'm at work I get no or very spotty signal so I set it up to go into airplane mode during my work hours, and then turn on after work. It can do functions based on location that works well, but location doesn't work well for airplane mode because you have to have signal to know where you are. So if you keep the same schedule something like this may be an option. If your randomly in and out of this low signal area, the better bet would be something like Free Power Widget or using the HTC airplane mode widget. You'll just have to be on it to know when to turn it back on.

If you want to know more about Tasker you can YouTube it or PM me. I really like it, but I have to admit I liked it more before Google stopped letting apps control GPS. The bums.
    Rezoundingly VidJunky!
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks. I was looking for an automated feature and I was hoping the phone would go into a "no signal" mode on its own.
    I guess I'll keep using airplane mode like you folks.
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Phone
    Rezound
    If there was such a feature, that the phone went into a "sleep" mode with no signal, how would it know to come out of the sleep mode when the signal reappeared? I have the "mobile" widget on my home screen to turn data on and off manually, as well as the WiFi widget when away from home for extended periods, and can easily access the airplane mode, though I rarely need that feature.
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Ok, dont call it sleep mode. Call it, I'm going to stop all processes that deal with communication until I get a signal again mode that stops all processes dealing with communication except looking for a signal.
  9. Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    360 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S5
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tannins View Post
    Ok, dont call it sleep mode. Call it, I'm going to stop all processes that deal with communication until I get a signal again mode that stops all processes dealing with communication except looking for a signal.
    But it's that "looking for a signal" part that kills the battery.
    Current lineup: Galaxy S5, iPhone 5S, Note 10.1 (2014)

Previous smartphones: Note 3, HTC One, Note 2, Galaxy S3, One X, RAZR MAXX, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, Note, iPhone 4S, Bionic, Stratosphere, Charge, Vitality, Incredible 2, Thunderbolt, Palm Pixi Plus, Droid 3, Fascinate, Incredible, Droid Pro, Droid 2 Global, Droid X, Droid, Treo Pro, Touch Pro 2, Touch Pro, Q9m, XV6800, XV6900

Previous tablets: iPad Mini, Transformer TF300, Evo View, Transformer Prime, Transformer TF101, Thrive, gTablet
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    If there is no signal does the phone continue to try to update mail and continually refreshed apps?
  11. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    Phone
    Nexus 4 / LG G2
    No, it knows it can't do that... what it does is fire up all radios to Maximum Transmit Power and try to get a tower to respond, and drains the battery like fruit in a juicer.

Best thing you can do is put the Airplane Mode widget on the desktop and put the phone in Airplane Mode when you go underground, it will run for over a week with the screen off and in Airplane Mode.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links