DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Can't download ICS update over wifi

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Rezound

Can't download ICS update over wifi

Hi everyone, this is my first post so please don't harass me for being a noob. Thanks!

Anyway I am currently living in Brazil but have a verizon htc rezound. I would like to download ICS so i can access global roaming but obviously don't have access to the network, only wifi. But when I go to software upgrade, the option for Check New is grayed out. Is it impossible for me to download the update from wifi only here in Brazil? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    Phone
    Nexus 4 / LG G2
    Quote Originally Posted by sachfm View Post
    Hi everyone, this is my first post so please don't harass me for being a noob. Thanks!

Anyway I am currently living in Brazil but have a verizon htc rezound. I would like to download ICS so i can access global roaming but obviously don't have access to the network, only wifi. But when I go to software upgrade, the option for Check New is grayed out. Is it impossible for me to download the update from wifi only here in Brazil? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Couple things here... First off, in order to check for an OTA update you MUST be on the Verizon Network, once it gets the info you can download via WiFi. More importantly (in your case I am guessing) is the fact that the Global Update is not available yet OTA, only the basic ICS update w/o Global Mode support. The Global Mode OTA is expected mid to late September, so the only way to get it now is to download the RUU leak from Android Police and flash it manually, which will wipe all your data because it is a full ROM image and not just an update.
  4. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Quote Originally Posted by acejavelin View Post
    Couple things here... First off, in order to check for an OTA update you MUST be on the Verizon Network, once it gets the info you can download via WiFi. More importantly (in your case I am guessing) is the fact that the Global Update is not available yet OTA, only the basic ICS update w/o Global Mode support. The Global Mode OTA is expected mid to late September, so the only way to get it now is to download the RUU leak from Android Police and flash it manually, which will wipe all your data because it is a full ROM image and not just an update.
    Damn, so it looks like I am SOL. I know rezound users have been able to access global roaming without the update (in fact I can pick up signal and make calls even without unlocking), but in order to get data and sms abilities you need to unlock and download the ROM, which to be honest, is a little bit too overwhelming for me haha. I tried once and nearly bricked my phone- had to factory reset in order to get it back to normal. Either way, thanks a lot for the help, luckily I've got a sweet samsung chocolate bar down here (it's even got T9!) so i'm not totally phoneless.
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Twitter
    @DroDough
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Quote Originally Posted by sachfm

Damn, so it looks like I am SOL. I know rezound users have been able to access global roaming without the update (in fact I can pick up signal and make calls even without unlocking), but in order to get data and sms abilities you need to unlock and download the ROM, which to be honest, is a little bit too overwhelming for me haha. I tried once and nearly bricked my phone- had to factory reset in order to get it back to normal. Either way, thanks a lot for the help, luckily I've got a sweet samsung chocolate bar down here (it's even got T9!) so i'm not totally phoneless.
    You can always download the build from a computer, rename it and place it on the sd card so you can flash to the newest update.

Links