DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: How to go back to Gingerbread after ICS update?!

1. CoralJade17

How to go back to Gingerbread after ICS update?!

I just put ICS on my HTC Rezound and absolutely HATE HATE HATE it!!!!! Please, can anyone tell me how to put Gingerbread back (preferably without having to convert to factory settings, although I'd be willing to do this as a last resort)? I've searched on Google but I honestly don't know what half of the solutions are talking about. I've never messed with any of my gadgets before and technology is NOT my strong suit. If anyone can give me very precise, step-by-step instructions on how to bring my phone back, I would be eternally greatful!!!
    Last edited by CoralJade17; 08-20-2012 at 01:43 AM.

3. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    950 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    Welcome to DroidForums coraljade. Unfortunately it is basically impossible to go back to gingerbread and you are not the first who has wanted to. Your best defense is to do a factory data reset. It solves most any problems your phone may be having. As a guide for ideas when backing up and restoring before doing an fdr see: Getting the most success upgrading to ICS from GB

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums
  4. CoralJade17
    Thank you but I am not having any usage problems so far, I just absolutely loathe the new layout. It looks like a 2-year-old formatted it and it's completely disappointing. I just want it to look the way it used to, and not look like the developer would've put everything in comic-sans if that had been an option.
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Phone
    HTC Rezound
    Quote Originally Posted by CoralJade17 View Post
    I just put ICS on my HTC Rezound and absolutely HATE HATE HATE it!!!!! Please, can anyone tell me how to put Gingerbread back (preferably without having to convert to factory settings, although I'd be willing to do this as a last resort)? I've searched on Google but I honestly don't know what half of the solutions are talking about. I've never messed with any of my gadgets before and technology is NOT my strong suit. If anyone can give me very precise, step-by-step instructions on how to bring my phone back, I would be eternally greatful!!!
    Well...ICS isn't just cosmetic you know...it actually makes your phone function better/more efficiently.
    What I think you should do is keep ICS, but download a launcher to change the theme of your phone to something you like more. That way you can keep the OS back end improvements from ICS but it will have a design that you like.

Personally, I wanted a look as close to vanilla ICS as possible, with no sense...so I installed Nova Launcher (at the suggestion of someone here) to get that look and feel. I liked it so much, I bought the Prime version for $4, mainly as a thank you to the developer since the added features with the Prime version are minimal.

But there are other launcher apps you can use that allow for many different themes and styles to be used that you can download and try out, they will completely change the look and feel of the OS.
    • Nova Launcher
    • ADW Launcher
    • Launcher Pro
    • Go Launcher Ex
    • Apex Launcher
    • And there are others.
    Here is a link to Lifehacker's reviews of their "Top 5" Android launchers:
    Five Best Android Launchers
    At the very least, it's fun to play with the different themes.

Being able to install and use a Launcher app is just one of the many great reasons why Android kicks the living sh*t out of iOS.
  6. CoralJade17
    Yes, "Xander Crews," I'm very well aware of the fact that ICS is not just cosmetic, thank you. And as for it functioning better/more efficiently, my battery life now only lasts about HALF of what it used to (and that's with background apps turned off and screen brightness at less than 25%), and I've heard several similar complaints from others with ICS and found the same on other forums. When I hit messages, the window often comes up with an "unexpected error" and has to close, many of my apps no longer sync properly, and my internet connection is often faulty at best (among multiple other issues). So, consider yourself lucky that you've had such a pleasant experience with ICS, but I still much prefer GB.

Quote Originally Posted by Xander Crews View Post
    Well...ICS isn't just cosmetic you know...it actually makes your phone function better/more efficiently.
    What I think you should do is keep ICS, but download a launcher to change the theme of your phone to something you like more. That way you can keep the OS back end improvements from ICS but it will have a design that you like.

Personally, I wanted a look as close to vanilla ICS as possible, with no sense...so I installed Nova Launcher (at the suggestion of someone here) to get that look and feel. I liked it so much, I bought the Prime version for $4, mainly as a thank you to the developer since the added features with the Prime version are minimal.

But there are other launcher apps you can use that allow for many different themes and styles to be used that you can download and try out, they will completely change the look and feel of the OS.
    • Nova Launcher
    • ADW Launcher
    • Launcher Pro
    • Go Launcher Ex
    • Apex Launcher
    • And there are others.
    Here is a link to Lifehacker's reviews of their "Top 5" Android launchers:
    Five Best Android Launchers
    At the very least, it's fun to play with the different themes.

Being able to install and use a Launcher app is just one of the many great reasons why Android kicks the living sh*t out of iOS.
  7. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    950 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    Quote Originally Posted by CoralJade17
    Yes, "Xander Crews," I'm very well aware of the fact that ICS is not just cosmetic, thank you. And as for it functioning better/more efficiently, my battery life now only lasts about HALF of what it used to (and that's with background apps turned off and screen brightness at less than 25%), and I've heard several similar complaints from others with ICS and found the same on other forums. When I hit messages, the window often comes up with an "unexpected error" and has to close, many of my apps no longer sync properly, and my internet connection is often faulty at best (among multiple other issues). So, consider yourself lucky that you've had such a pleasant experience with ICS, but I still much prefer GB.
    There is no need to be rude to those who are sincerely trying to help you. Xander's suggestion was a great solution to your complaint about the appearance and ui of ICS.

All of the problems listed in your recent post can be resolved by doing a factory data reset which was initially suggested but you followed that up with that you did not have a "usage" problem... which apparently you do as evident by the above post.

If after doing an fdr, you continue to have problems, we can help you troubleshoot from there.

8. CoralJade17
    Well excuse me but if someone is going to be condescending then you can bet that I'm going to take issue with that. His "Well...ICS isn't just cosmetic you know..." was absolutely unnecessary, and even if I wasn't aware of this there are other ways he could have put the same information into a statement without being presumptuous. I simply asked if there was a way to go back to gingerbread, NOT for people's opinions on how delightful they found ICS. That's great for them if they like it, but I still find that it as an "upgrade" fails on multiple levels. As for your proposition, I did a factory reset the same day ICS was installed, so no, that does nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by TisMyDroid View Post
    There is no need to be rude to those who are sincerely trying to help you. Xander's suggestion was a great solution to your complaint about the appearance and ui of ICS.

All of the problems listed in your recent post can be resolved by doing a factory data reset which was initially suggested but you followed that up with that you did not have a "usage" problem... which apparently you do as evident by the above post.

If after doing an fdr, you continue to have problems, we can help you troubleshoot from there.

9. Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    112 times
    Phone
    HTC One
    Premium Member
    I'm going to step in and call a timeout. CoralJade17 I think you're being a bit too sensitive. If you don't like ICS, you don't like ICS. The answer is that you have to S-Off your phone and get a Gingerbread RUU and run that RUU. S-Off isn't for the weak of heart, and not something I personally suggest and that is the ONLY solution short of getting a replacement phone that hasn't been updated yet. Your next best is to unlock your phone and load a GB ROM with the GB firmware fix. That will get you the look and feel but you'll still have ICS firmware and likely any issues you have with ICS will carry over.

A factory reset after the ICS update will typically solve most of the issues resultant from the update itself. I know that's not what you wanted to hear but that's just the way it is. Now that the facts are out of the way, everyone please try to be a little courteous to others. Any more nonsense and the thread will be closed and removed.
    TisMyDroid likes this.
    Helpful Rezound Links:
    Guide to Unlocking, Rooting, ROM'ing, and FAQ

Did you know: You can upgrade your Rezound to ICS without rooting?

Fun Rezound Fact: The antennas for the Rezound are in the battery cover.

Don't forget to backup your flash player install before they remove it from the Android Market.

If you don't understand something, ask questions.
    Please follow the posting guidelines.

An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
    Benjamin Franklin
  10. CoralJade17
    If by me being sensitive you mean that I expect to be treated with respect, then I guess you are right. If this is the sort of response that comes from this forum, then I suppose I should look elsewhere for my answers.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith317 View Post
    I'm going to step in and call a timeout. CoralJade17 I think you're being a bit too sensitive. If you don't like ICS, you don't like ICS. The answer is that you have to S-Off your phone and get a Gingerbread RUU and run that RUU. S-Off isn't for the weak of heart, and not something I personally suggest and that is the ONLY solution short of getting a replacement phone that hasn't been updated yet. Your next best is to unlock your phone and load a GB ROM with the GB firmware fix. That will get you the look and feel but you'll still have ICS firmware and likely any issues you have with ICS will carry over.

A factory reset after the ICS update will typically solve most of the issues resultant from the update itself. I know that's not what you wanted to hear but that's just the way it is. Now that the facts are out of the way, everyone please try to be a little courteous to others. Any more nonsense and the thread will be closed and removed.
  11. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    124 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 3
    From what I gathered from all the comments in here, the only problem I've seen you mention is that you dislike the layout and format. To that extent, if that's all you don't like, use a home replacement launcher. If that is not the only thing, would you kindly list everything that you find wrong with ICS? Is it performance, buggy, slow? More detail regarding your issues would help us more in order to help you. Any and all info you can provide will allow us to help you circumvent what you don't like.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by cobravnm13; 09-17-2012 at 08:43 PM.
    OG Droid: Rooted running Steel Droid V10.0 [Retired]
    Droid 2: Rooted running CM9 [Retired]
    Droid 3: Rooted running Minimoto [Active]

I rarely use DF on the desktop and mainly use Tapatalk, so if I don't or can't see something in your sig, a vid, or a pic, don't blame me!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links